« The Obama Prevarification Predictor | Main | Own It, Mr. Secretary »

September 04, 2009

By now, everyone has read about the AP embed who took a picture of a dying Marine and then it was published over the objections of both his family and Secretary Gates.

Lance Corporal Joshua Bernard was 21 years old. He had family who loved him and mourn his loss. This family who should have had their wishes honored. This family felt that the picture did not honor Joshua Bernard's memory.

I haven't seen the picture and I won't. I won't link to it either. I am sure it's up at plenty of sites and those who wish to view a young man in pain dying in Afghanistan, somebody else can be your huckleberry. It just won't be me.

There are lots of emotions swirling around in me right now about this situation. Sadness for this family. Sadness for his Marine brothers.
Disgust at what the AP views as it's journalistic responsibility. Mostly, though, it's anger.

Anger that a young man's life is being reduced by the AP to a photograph at his most vulnerable. Anger at the ghoulishness of AP editors. Anger at the argument that it shows "the cost of war".
Lord, how I loathe that phrase "the cost of war". It's a bumpersticker, at best, and shallow, superficial and politically motivated at it's most honest.

I sincerely hope that Secretary Gates takes this opportunity to ban every damned AP reporter and photographer from embedding in Afghanistan and Iraq.
They can't be trusted to behave like decent human beings and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near military units.

Others are doing a much better job of using their words than I am right now so check out Mrs. Greyhawk's roundup of reactions and links.

Posted by at September 4, 2009 01:47 PM

Comments

Not anger, but r i g h t e o u s f u r y, and that does not begin to express my feelings.

Posted by: htom at September 4, 2009 04:20 PM

No, actually you're doing a perfectly fine job using your words. I couldn't have said this better myself.

Posted by: Beaker at September 4, 2009 05:05 PM

I am speechless and enraged; this is beyond the pale.

Posted by: ShrinkWrapped at September 4, 2009 06:07 PM

You did great, Carrie.

I wish I'd seen this before I hit "post". You said everything that needed to be said.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 4, 2009 08:34 PM

A family's wish is trumped by the political statement each and every time. Now that we are downsizing in Iran, there is no longer a need to call Afghanistan the good war, and anything to get the voices going in protest is fair game. The Left, it seems, have a different take on what is and is not morally acceptable, it seems. The wishes of those who are trying to kill us are to be respected. On the other hand, the wishes of the families who have made the costliest of sacrifices for the rest of us are to be ignored.

Trust me, if the people complain about this enough, the photographer will surely get his Pulitzer.

Posted by: RIslander at September 5, 2009 11:31 PM