« Well Damn... | Main | Moral Courage »

September 15, 2009

"America's Few" Awesomeness

Via Some Random Marine the Blog Princess is married to:

On September 19, 2009 the United States Marine Corps will debut a new advertising campaign titled 'America's Few'.

'America's Few' is the prequel to the 'America's Marines' campaign that was launched in January 2008. America’s Marines reminded America of the purpose of service as a Marine – to defend our nation's freedom and the American way of life – by showing Marines in their Dress Blue uniform in a single line from sea to shining sea.

'America’s Few' is an authentic portrayal of what it really takes for America’s youth to answer the highest calling and earn their place in a line of Marines that stretches back over 233 years. The new campaign explains that answering the call is just the beginning; everyone who responds must start their journey on the famed yellow footprints and prove themselves in our nation’s most demanding test of mind, body, and character. Only after they successfully complete this 12 week quest will they earn the title “United States Marine.”

Watch the video, share it with friends and family, and come back on 09.19.09 for the official premiere of 'America's Few'.

Last year's video. No matter how many times I've seen this one, I still get a tiny shiver down my spine when the announcer says, "They still do."

Posted by Cassandra at September 15, 2009 02:28 PM

Comments

The Marines have consistently met or exceeded their recruitment goals, for many years. Their advertising has never stressed the "great way of life" that is the Corps, nor the many wonderful benefits you can get... college! Job training! Free day care!

Nope, their ads have always presented a challenge, which can be simply expressed: "Do you measure up? Are you tough enough?" No "Army of One" bullshit - be a part of a team that puts it all on the line and gets it done.

And it works. While the rest of the military seems bent on transforming itself into a politically correct day care center for reluctant adults seeking self esteem, the Marines stand alone in creating combat ready riflemen.

Not to say that the other services are weak and effete - there are plenty of rigorously trained, highly motivated units and personnel in all of them. But only the Marines stress it across the board. It's basic and simple: if you're a Marine you are either a rifleman, or directly supporting one.

Posted by: Steve Skubinna at September 15, 2009 03:21 PM

The Marines are unique. I have always enjoyed shooting with their rifle teams in NRA competition. They can shoot.

In WWII the Marines fought horrible battles, again and again. A friend of my father's fought as a Marine on Iwo Jima. I never got much of the story out of him, and could kick myself for it now he is gone. The oral history of these events is priceless.

Posted by: Mark at September 15, 2009 05:09 PM

if you're a Marine you are either a rifleman, or directly supporting one.

Not quite true... every Marine is primarily a rifleman. Lots of them just also happen to have other jobs they perform as well.

I worked joint service when I was in the Army. I worked with every branch except the Coast Guard. The Marines I worked with were quite clear that their first job was to pick up a rifle and engage the enemy, and only when there were no enemy in their AO, they would perform their MOS. It's a different mindset than any other service seemed to have.

Posted by: MikeD at September 16, 2009 08:40 AM

There are many interesting cultural differences between the services.

I grew up Navy, so I started off in that world. The Marines are a world apart - very different. Probably the single biggest difference between the Corps and the Army (from my perspective) is that because we're smaller the required infrastructure is smaller, too.

I think Marines tend to be very focused on getting the job done, whatever that job may be. They are also freer to speak up when they don't agree with a plan; to offer constructive criticism or suggestions. Up to the point where a final decision is made, it is not only normal but expected for Marines to speak freely. I think the fact that everyone does follow the rules actually allows more candor, as it's understood a Marine may disagree with a superior but in the end will fall in line and do everything he can to ensure successful execution of the plan (even if he thought there was a better way).

It is interesting to me how outward conformity can sometimes create an atmosphere where individuals have increased autonomy and independence of thought and speech. Because they all subscribe to the same generalized ethos, things that might be taken for intransigence or even borderline insubordination in other services aren't viewed as being as threatening in the Marine Corps.

Marines tend to learn to speak candidly while still acknowledging that they're not the final authority and that skill is - I think - an integral component of their ability to get things done.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 16, 2009 09:05 AM

I love, love, LOVE that commercial. Can't wait to see the rest of it!!

Posted by: Carrie at September 16, 2009 10:03 AM

Goosebumps all over again. Cannot wait to see the new one!

Posted by: Nina at September 16, 2009 10:50 AM