« Time Flies When You're.... Ummm.... Nevermind | Main | The White Man's Burden »

September 29, 2009

Question of the Day

CWCID.

For what it's worth, I've never much cared for the "all men are pigs" thing, but the first time I recall hearing it said, it was by a guy and pretty much all the other men present agreed with him.

I don't like to hear women say it (assuming they're serious, and not just poking fun at the feminine tendency to wax disgusted when men have the temerity to act male) because it sounds ungracious and slightly contemptuous. I think the majority of men both want and deserve the respect of women.

I don't like to hear men say it (assuming they're serious, and not just poking fun at certain natural tendencies a fair number of men happen to share) for the same reason I don't buy the "That's just how we're wired - deal with it" line. Men and women are different, but both men and women possess innate tendencies that - left unchecked - can be pretty obnoxious. Arguing that we can't be expected to behave any better than our worst instincts sets a depressingly low bar for human behavior. If men don't even respect themselves, why should anyone else respect them? On the other hand, I've found that when you broadcast contempt for others, they tend to lower themselves to meet your expectations.

Perhaps if people were as tolerant of others as they are of their own foibles, the "take me as I am" standard might work. But generally speaking, they're not. Both men and women tend to excuse their own petty peccadilloes while taking great umbrage at the behavior of the opposite sex. It seems bizarre to me that after thousands of years of civilization, there are still those who argue that people are incapable of self control.

How do they think we got where we are today?

Update: Heh.

via JM Heinrichs

Posted by Cassandra at September 29, 2009 08:29 AM

Comments

Par la grande cuillère à cornes! I am surrounded by bitterly-clutchy-suds-guzzling hoi polloi!

Pass the chips, please...

Posted by: Bill "Z.Z. Zydeco" T at September 29, 2009 08:49 AM

Dear Lord :p

My comments section has been invaded by Cajuns.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 29, 2009 08:52 AM

Tried boric acid?

Posted by: BillT at September 29, 2009 09:12 AM

It works on everything else!

Posted by: Cassandra at September 29, 2009 09:44 AM

ZZ, I'm thinking popcorn would be more appropriate...

*sits down next to ZZ with big bag of the buttered stuff*

Posted by: FbL at September 29, 2009 10:07 AM

How many loads to the gallon did he get?

Too bad he didn't use the van...

Brilliant. The Young Man and I have been snorting
with laughter.

Thank you.

Posted by: Cricket at September 29, 2009 10:26 AM

...popcorn would be more appropriate...

Well fo' sho' 'nuff, it be dat dere, but Ah got little p'tee problehm, sho' 'nuff. Could yaw Mizz FuzzehBeah be rubbin' some o' dat good beurre clarifié on da el-bow joint o' dat armor dere? Dis one be skritchin' he nose an' da el-bow done *locked*...

Posted by: Bill Z.Z. Zydeco T at September 29, 2009 11:57 AM

How do they think we got where we are today?

Sex.

Posted by: Oink at September 29, 2009 12:31 PM

I drove.

Posted by: Dr. Sheldon Cooper at September 29, 2009 12:32 PM

Alvays vis you people, it is about the sex!

Sex is good, but not as good
as fresh sweet corn.

Posted by: Dr. Ruth Westheimer at September 29, 2009 12:36 PM

TMI!!!!!!!

Posted by: BillT at September 29, 2009 12:41 PM

Thank you for including the knight in shining armor option on your poll. You'd be surprised how often that gets left out these days.

Posted by: Grim at September 29, 2009 12:49 PM

And last time I checked, it was winning :)

You know me, Grim. Hopeless romantic.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 29, 2009 12:52 PM

I voted "Huh?".

Should I vote twice for Pile On? I think that's from a movie about Chicago; "You Only Vote Twice."

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at September 29, 2009 04:05 PM

I rent a house to students at a four-year private college. Men might be pigs, but women are slobs, too. The difference is women don't bust as much stuff (they rarely "accidentally" throw a football through a window, for example).

On the other hand, I save a lot of money on carpet cleaning. The carpet never gets dirty - it's buried under layers of clothing that we can't be bothered to put away until Parent's Day when the place magically becomes spotless.

Posted by: Joe Doakes at September 29, 2009 05:26 PM

I thought of you and Pile when I put the "Huh???" in, Don :p

Yes, girls are very messy.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 29, 2009 05:38 PM

My girl is much more than my boy - more messy, more controlling, more obnoxious...more. Then again, maybe that's because she's more like me. Oy.

Posted by: Sly's Wardrobe Mistress at September 29, 2009 09:20 PM

I'm a pack rat. That causes me to be messy. I need to work on that...

I'm still waiting to find my "knight in shining armor". I have come acquainted with many good men - a lot of them here - through my internet wanderings. Unfortunately for me, they all seem to already be taken. But, I've also been aware of a fair number of pigs, too... I'm still the hopeful romantic, though, despite my situation of seemingly perpetual aloneness.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at September 29, 2009 10:53 PM

Keep your spirits up, Miss Ladybug. You have accomplished so much this year :)

Hope is never a mistake.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 29, 2009 11:00 PM

You want shining armor? Get Brasso!

Posted by: RIslander at September 29, 2009 11:42 PM

Well, physically speaking, I am somewhat obese.

But seriously, what do you mean by the term 'pigs'? I never really understood that, because pigs are really very useful creatures.

Firstly, the pig is very intelligent. Combined with their gregariousness, it is no wonder that some pigs are bred as pets.

Secondly, the pig is very delicious, and the most efficient chow-to-meat converter of all the domesticated animals we eat. Not to mention very useful, as we get leather from it as well.

Pigs can also be very clean animals if housed in the proper environment.

So, really, if it's just pigs being fat slobs, well, pigs aren't slobs and one shouldn't judge only by one's cover, right?

Posted by: Gregory at September 30, 2009 12:05 AM

Pigs? MMMMMM... A BLD. Bacon, Limburger, and Duff's beer. MMMMMM...

DOH! Why is that red light labeled SCRAM! flashing under the Maxim magazine?! Hey! Is it hot in here?

MMMMMM... BLD's.