« Trust in Media Accuracy at 20 Year Low | Main | Donald Douglas: Moral Relativist Extraordinaire »

September 14, 2009

State Mottos Game

Yanno... the Editorial Staff have never explicitly contemplated the Maryland state motto before. But now that we have, we find it eminently mockable:

The state motto, Fatti maschii, parole femine, translates literally from the Italian as "Manly deeds, womanly words", or more generally, "Strong deeds, gentle words," which is what the Government of Maryland cites officially.[1] Maryland is the only state with a motto in Italian.

Which prompts us to ask the villainry to update your state's motto with a 21st Century equivalent. For Maryland, may we suggest:

Il mio dio, tutti comunicano il questo molto?

Posted by Cassandra at September 14, 2009 03:20 PM

Comments

Sicuramente dobrebberestere dire: "Il mio Dio, tutti si comunicano il questo modo"?

Perche non credo che siete politeista, Dio è solo uno; comunque la ¨D¨in Dio si sribbe con maiuscula.

La parola: ¨comunicano¨ è reflessiva; comunque dobrebbe esse scritta con una ¨si¨da capo.

Finalemente la orazione finisce con modo non molto.

Habeste capito?

Posted by: Italo Boquisucio at September 14, 2009 04:05 PM

Current NJ Motto -- "Liberty and Prosperity."

Updated -- "Liberty and Prosperity. Pick One."

Posted by: BillT at September 14, 2009 04:40 PM

Habeste capito?

Since Italian is one of the few languages I don't speak a word of, nope!

I used Babel Fish. And it was supposed to read something like (I've since forgotten exactly what I entered): "My God - do they all talk this much?"

Posted by: Cassandra at September 14, 2009 04:40 PM

Heeee - How do you say: "Snark" in Italiano?

Then you'd better had said: Madonna - Tutte parlino così tanto?

Posted by: Italo Boquisucio at September 14, 2009 04:53 PM

I have to say that I like ours as it is.

Translating from Southern to English, it reads, Wisdom, Justice, & Moderation, with a bit of Agriculture and Commerce out back.

Maybe more so today than ever.

But if it must change, I'd settle for Carpe Fermentum. =8^}

Posted by: bt_oh-look...it's-beer-thirty_hun at September 14, 2009 05:10 PM

Madonna - Tutte parlino così tanto?

Hey! I never *touched* Madonna's tanto!

Posted by: BillT at September 14, 2009 05:16 PM

Was that during her "Vogue" or "Tramp" Phase Unkabill?

Posted by: Boquisucio at September 14, 2009 05:45 PM

My home state's motto is "Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono" - "The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness." I wouldn't want to change it. I would like people to learn it and take it to heart. Unfortunately, it's a lesson that too many have never learned and it is killing us.

Posted by: Sandi at September 14, 2009 06:02 PM

I think we've already kinda changed "Friendship" to "Don't Mess with Texas".

Posted by: Sal at September 14, 2009 06:48 PM

The State Motto of Arizona is:
Ditat Deus (God enriches)

Needs to be changed to:
Is est a siccus estus (It's a dry heat)

Posted by: ziobuck at September 14, 2009 07:12 PM

I think it's still officially "Friendship", origin explained at the link. But, I wouldn't argue with changing it, as you suggest, Sal.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at September 14, 2009 07:17 PM

Georgia:

"Wisdom, Justice, and Moderation. We're Fresh Out."

Posted by: Grim at September 14, 2009 07:32 PM

True Italians speak with their hands.

Raise your right hand with fingers under the chin and the left hand on the right bicep...then flip the fingers of your right hand from under your chin.

Now that is a state motto you can believe in!

Posted by: vet66 at September 14, 2009 09:30 PM

I grew up in Virginia, and while I cannot think of anything pithy to change "Sic Semper Tyrannus" (An thus always to tyrants) to, I DO like the most common schoolchild misunderstanding of the motto:

Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus

Posted by: MikeD at September 15, 2009 09:03 AM

Ah yes - The Rape Of Lucretia avenged.

Posted by: Boquisucio at September 15, 2009 01:43 PM

Screw the Turtle,
Use Easy Pass.

Posted by: spd rdr at September 15, 2009 01:58 PM

Screw the Turtle...

Ppphhhtttthh :p

Posted by: You *Will* Fear Me.... at September 15, 2009 02:15 PM

I thought that the turtle was too fertile. You don't want a paternity suit, do you spd?

Posted by: MikeD at September 16, 2009 08:50 AM

When I lived in Maryland, I always thought the state motto was:

"If you can dream it or do it, we can tax it."

Silly me.