« A Life Well Lived | Main | "America's Few" Awesomeness »

September 15, 2009

Well Damn...

Mark my words: you radical feminists are to blame for this somehow:

Government scientists figure that one out of five male black bass in American river basins have egg cells growing inside their sexual organs, a sign of how widespread fish feminizing has become.

The findings come from the U.S. Geological Survey in its first comprehensive examination of intersex fish in America, a problem linked to women's birth control pills and other hormone treatments that seep into rivers. Sporadic reports of feminized fish have been reported for a few years.

We tried to warn you, but no! You were having none of our frantic intersex fish warnings.

DENIERS!!!!

Update: Heh... if there's one thing I can't stand, it's a link slut. Worse, in many ways, than an intersex fish.

Posted by Cassandra at September 15, 2009 12:10 PM

Comments

Now we have Metrobass... *hobbles away shaking head*

Posted by: bthun at September 15, 2009 12:50 PM

San Francisco Fish! Gavin Guppy!

Posted by: Mark at September 15, 2009 01:39 PM

Oh no! The fish will now start watching Oprah and the Lifetime channel, use potpourri, like Hugh Grant, and suddenly find the need for several dozen new shoes.

Posted by: a former european at September 15, 2009 01:40 PM

So that's why the waitress said the pecan-encrusted tilapia had a fruity taste.

Posted by: tomg51 at September 15, 2009 01:51 PM

"So that's why the waitress said the pecan-encrusted tilapia had a fruity taste."

EEEWWW! That is priceless. SF is a political joke, but it's restaurants are to die for.

Posted by: Mark at September 15, 2009 02:11 PM

OMG. You totally forgot wanting to talk about their feeeeeeeeelings :p

Posted by: Cassandra at September 15, 2009 02:13 PM

Make fun all you want, Cass.

THis is a major problem from a population dynamics perspective. I read in The NEw Scientist about the problem in early '02 in England. Entire species, upon which we are very dependent as food, are dying out because they're intersexed or feminized as a result of hormones in the water pushing develoment that way.

I get where the funny is supposed to be, and the why. Just, being the serious goofball I am, I don't find it funny. It's tragic, f'd up, and wrong. Worse, we can't tackle the problem without getting yelled at for 'being perpetuators of the patriarchy' because the hit reproductive choice would take. That's whackadoo feminists pulling that 'patriarchy' baloney, not the rational ones, mind you.

This is the result of going with a hormonal approach instead of mechanical(and you can go mechanical to either males or females, but nobody wants to).

Posted by: ry at September 15, 2009 02:38 PM

It is tragic, Ry.

Even more so since this crap is ending up in human blood too. That said, having tried most of the mechanical methods (male and female) I have to say the Pill was the best by far. Only used it for a few years and then got my tubes tied since I knew my husband did not want more kids and I'm as fertile as a turtle.

I could not see spending the next 27 or so years of my life with my breath held every month.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 15, 2009 02:52 PM

Posted by: Cassandra at September 15, 2009 02:54 PM

Don't worry folks! I'm following up right now on allegations relating to "Hannah Giles in a string bikini," public confrontation concerning "a hot red naughty leotard" with a "deep-fried chimichanga with guacamole." There are as yet unconfirmed reports that there may be evidence of "Hannah Giles in a bikini, lingerie, camisole, cute little lacy red things or other sexy naughties..." but it has always be our standards not to report such unconfirmed naughty bits, unless, of course, they embarass the those who think differently from ourselves.

All the news, all the time, all the worse.

Posted by: Intrepid Journalist at September 15, 2009 02:58 PM

Heirloom tomatoes? My bestest gardening friend gave me sprouts. It will be a race to see if the miserable suckers beat winter.

Posted by: Mark at September 15, 2009 03:03 PM

As an added bonus, we'll be investigating "Mark's" claim regarding his "bestest gardening friend" giving him "sprouts" and whether there is any tie-in to the "cute little lacy red things" and the beating of "the miserable suckers" before winter.

Stand by for more.

Posted by: Intrepid Journalist at September 15, 2009 03:27 PM

My bestest gardening friend gave me sprouts.

Amoxicillin may help.

Posted by: BillT at September 15, 2009 03:43 PM

BillT, go to your room. ROFLMAO! She is a happily married woman. She had a nursery business and gives me lots of neat plants. Her husband is Vietnam vet and I consider him a good friend.

Posted by: Mark at September 15, 2009 04:00 PM

Sprouts! I thought that called for the "blue ointment"? =8^\

Posted by: bthun at September 15, 2009 04:03 PM

*rimshot*

This has been another episode of the bthun and Bill Show.

"Say 'Goodnight,' Bill."

"Goodnight, Bill."

Posted by: BillT at September 15, 2009 04:14 PM

I am abused!

Posted by: Mark at September 15, 2009 05:11 PM

'link slut.' Is that like 'cybercourse?'

Posted by: I am sooo going to the bad place Cricket at September 15, 2009 06:28 PM

Too bad we don't have filters. The Clean Water Act doesn't cover non-point sources of water, only major waterways.

Posted by: Cricket at September 15, 2009 06:33 PM

Mechanical. Not talking prophilactic(male or female version therof). More the real mechanics of fertilization. Stop the actual parts from working, as you did, Cass(oh, God, is my face red talking about this in public. I'm not gonna get punched am I?). There's no good reason, afai concerned, not to do this if one cares about 'reproductive choice'.

AFAIK, and I haven't asked extensively but I have asked, there's no harm to a boy/girl about the age of 12 getting ligation of necessary tubage. The hormones secrete normally. No damage to development. No chance of fertilzation unless you REALLY want to. Better solution. Cleaner. In many ways. Cheaper to society as a whole. People don't like it because it takes 'spontenaity' out of the equation. Which, the scientist in me responds to with, 'WTF? Make up yer G-Damn mind! You want control or don't you?!'

Turtle. Not touching that with Unk's pole. I wanna live to be 35(make that 36, gotta get used to saying that the new number).

Posted by: ry at September 16, 2009 03:55 PM

It makes no sense to have a child under the age of consent get permanently sterilized. She would have her whole life ahead of her. What if she changed her mind later?

The doctors didn't want to perform the procedure on me, and I was only 23. I told them I don't believe in divorce and if I wanted more kids I could always adopt. But they had a valid point: what if my husband had died and I'd remarried a man who wanted kids?

Overkill, IMO. I did it b/c, although I wanted more children, my spouse did not and the risk of pregnancy was unacceptable. But I will tell you that it was a good 10-15 years until I stopped grieving.

Not exaggerating, either.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 16, 2009 04:02 PM

But that's the point, it isn't sterilization.

Tech has moved on in 5 years.;)

Scrotal biopsy is painful-ish, but a lot easier. So, if one has the inclination, you can withdraw the necessary material to go invitro or some other route(simple injection, say).

Female biopsy for eggs is a bit tougher and more intensive(drugs for a couple of months, incision around belly button, etc). But eggs removed, fertilized, then reinjected.

Where's the sterilization? Like you say, 'It's about the committment.' Sure, it takes the spontenaity out of the ordeal, but do you really want to control your reproduction, and then are you really sure you want kids(how many kids would be saved from idjit parents who thought it would be cool but would be detered from the intricacy?)?

Of course, I'm a scientist. Give me a problem I come up with the easiest solution. Not the most psychologically satisfying.

But, like I said, it isn't true sterilization. The ovaries aren't removed in ligation. Just a severance of the fallopian tubes. Females could get pregnant if they REALLY wanted to at a later date. Same with men if the vas deferens is cut. For men there's even a reversal surgery now-a-days that's got a greater than 50% success rate(meaning you don't have to go with scrotal biopsy). So it isn't only the girl who will have to, you can have guys do it. So like the guy up in Michigan who was 'tricked' into being a father of a child he never wanted and is fighting to not pay child support(rather quasi famous case, actually) DOESN'T HAPPEN.

Yeah, I know, I'm dreaming. Never happen.

Posted by: ry at September 21, 2009 11:09 PM