« What A Difference an Election Makes... in Press Coverage | Main | Oh For Pete's Sake... »

October 15, 2009

Feel Your Boobies Week

feel_boobies.jpg The Blog Princess is fairly certain she has mentioned this before, but years ago during the BoobieThon fundraiser, she decided to do something she never does: give herself a self-exam.

It wasn't the best timing in the world. The Unit was in Fallujah and on a scale of things I do not recommend is finding a lump in your left breast when your spouse is on the other side of the world.

During the next few months I meekly submitted to multiple mammograms and consults, culminating in a visit to a local surgeon who told me that the lump was just a benign mass common to women. He aspirated it with a needle and that was that. Kind of an anticlimactic ending to several months where pretty much every doctor I'd seen was extremely concerned.

But my surgeon told me something else, and I think it's important. He said that mammograms, in general, don't catch many cancers. Women (or their partners) are more likely to discover something amiss.

I will never know what prompted me to examine myself that day. Probably it was reading the blogs of several women who were battling cancer. I was so moved by their words that I sent in my own photos to the BoobieThon fundraiser. It's fairly certain that this is not something I'd ever thought I would do.

Anyway, do your patriotic duty. If you're a woman, check yourself. It's easier in the bathtub or shower. If you're a guy, check the lady you love.

Take all the time you need, peoples.

Via Janette.

Posted by Cassandra at October 15, 2009 08:56 AM

Comments

We complained to the Doc that too many times we are notified on Friday evening to contact our primary physician regarding a questionable finding on the most recent mammogram. For us it has been a tissue hardening issue and nothing more. It is still extremely important that tactile examination be performed often to identify questionable tissue irregularities most of which are harmless.

Cancer is easier to beat when discovered early. While you are checking for irregularities, while you are at it check for skin changes, moles, etc., and see your dermatologist for diagnosis.

Posted by: vet66 at October 15, 2009 10:20 AM

If you're a guy, check the lady you love.

Ya know, no matter how many times I offer, my wife seems to think I have ulterior motives. I cannot, for the life of me, imagine why.

Posted by: MikeD at October 15, 2009 11:58 AM

Men...

They give and they give and they give :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 15, 2009 12:18 PM

"Ya know, no matter how many times I offer..."
Just do it!

Posted by: Nike at October 15, 2009 12:48 PM

Just do it!

That's gotten me slugged occasionally.
*pause*
By my WIFE.
*pause*
For grabbing HER.
Geez folks, what do you take me for here?

Posted by: MikeD at October 15, 2009 01:30 PM

Well, don't mind if I do!

This invitation ranks right up there with "Mind if we dance wif yo dates?".

Posted by: a former european at October 15, 2009 01:30 PM

I'm willing to do my part. But let's not forget the boys: http://www.livestrong.com/testicular-self-exam/

Posted by: I Call BS at October 15, 2009 02:21 PM

*restraining self masterfully*

Good point, ICBS. I know at least two men who have been diagnosed with testicular cancer.

It seems the least we ladies can do :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 15, 2009 02:27 PM

It seems the least we ladies can do

The ones who join me for chow are doing *much* leaster than that.

Posted by: BillT at October 15, 2009 02:44 PM

"It seems the least we ladies can do :p"

And I'd hate to have it said that we didn't do the least we could do.
0>:~}

Posted by: DL Sly at October 15, 2009 03:11 PM

"It seems the least we ladies can do :p"

I'm happy to receive all the help I can get from the ladies, but I'll prob just ask the wife for a hand.

[pun intended]

Posted by: I Call BS at October 15, 2009 03:23 PM

And I'd hate to have it said that we didn't do the least we could do.

Okay, I won't say it.

I won't mention anything about your losing the edible part of the rattlesnake to a feral Chihuahua, either...

Posted by: BillT at October 15, 2009 04:02 PM

There aren't any edible parts on a rattlesnake.
Period.

And, no, it does not make a *good* chili, either.

"... feral Chihuahua..."

There are 'Lost Dog' signs on the road up to my house describing a Chihuahua named Paco with pink toe nails. The VES and I are pretty sure Paco was a coyote taco the first night he got loose.

Posted by: DL Sly at October 15, 2009 07:23 PM

Is that one of those 'circle of life' things?

Posted by: Cricket at October 15, 2009 09:12 PM

Could be, Ms. Cricket', could be. Maybe Paco is better off, given the embarrassment the poor little guy must have felt when meeting up with his goggie friends:
"Hey, Paco! Is that pink polish on your toes?"
"No! It's uh....uh....dried blood...yeah, dried blood...from a pack of coyotes that wandered into my domain."
"Wouldn't blood be under your nails?"
"Yeah, well, *normally*....but when I go berserker on a pack of coyotes, the blood goes everywhere."
"Ummmm, everywhere except on your fur, or your face, or...."
0>;~}