« Nobel Committee Gives Obama an "A" for Trying Really, Really Hard | Main | Help Obama Win the Heisman! »

October 09, 2009

Foul Mouthed, Petulant Children

It's bad enough when the media abandon the pretense of professionalism. When the White House follows suit, you have to wonder if everyone in this country has taken leave of their senses?

What a morning at Morning Joe! First, a "senior White House official" sent an email calling Joe Scarborough an "a-----e" for mocking Pres. Obama's Nobel Peace Prize. A bit later, responding to Rush Limbaugh's depiction of Scarborough as a "neutered, chickified moderate," Scarborough repeatedly claimed that Pres. George W. Bush had Rush's "testicles in a blind trust."

...NBC's Savannah Guthrie, on the set, announced that she had received an email from "a senior White House official" telling Joe to "stop being an a------e" [spelled out in the original, according to Savannah]. Mika Brzezinski tried to soft-pedal the insult, claiming the White House was "joking." Real side-splitter! Is this the new standard of civility from Dems so offended by "you lie"?

No Peace Prize is likely to be awarded to Scarborough or Rush Limbaugh anytime soon. War has broken out between the two. Scarborough initiated hostilities by criticizing Rush for reveling in PBO's Olympic failure. Rush returned fire yesterday, calling Scarborough a "neutered, chickified moderate." This morning, Scarborough repeatedly claimed that W had Rush's "testicles in a blind trust" for eight years.

Unbelievable. Don't get me wrong - I've been known to utter the odd profanity or two in private but I don't do it in a work setting.

Adults ought to be able to express an idea without resorting to schoolyard taunts. It speaks volumes about the decline of even elementary self control that these so-called professionals can't seem to restrain their worst instincts in public.

Way to control the terms of the debate, folks. When political discourse becomes a race to see who can hit bottom first, perhaps it's time to ask whether the fleeting satisfaction of calling your opponent a mean spirited poopy head is worth the resulting decline in the national IQ?

Posted by Cassandra at October 9, 2009 12:00 PM

Comments

Well I hear the cursing but I can't go

The adults are gonna drag us down to Mexico

But they said "Oh no Guadalajara won't do"

Well I didn't think the adults could be such fools

And I'm never gonna listen to or vote for those tools... Yeah

Posted by: bt_survey_says_hun at October 9, 2009 12:22 PM

Bonus points for incorporating Steely Dan :p

That's one of my favorite songs.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 9, 2009 12:29 PM

As I sit here wondering where I'll get the money for a haircut, just in case I actually get a job interview, I also wonder how much people like Scarborough and Limbaugh have in the bank. I think the same thing as I watch Beck becoming a caricature of himself. The Republican Party becomes conservative whenever they happen to be out of office and return to doing their best to satisfy the New York Times once they are back in power.

Many, all too many, years ago, I remember my elders repeatedly telling me to act my age. Apparently, far too many of those who become prominent in the field of political commentary or politics never received or learned from this particular admonition. Yes, the lunatics are running the asylum. Yes, the rest of us are stuck in our padded cells, looking out the windows as we watch the America we knew and loved go off into the distance.

Posted by: RIslander at October 9, 2009 12:31 PM

...the resulting decline in the national IQ?

The number itself remains constant, but the declination's axis has shifted southeast, from Chicago to DC.

Posted by: BillT at October 9, 2009 02:04 PM

Picture it: a crowded Jr. High School corridor, 4 minutes to hike a quarter mile down a maze of hallways to your next class. Suddenly a shout of "Fight! Fight!" echoes above the din. The cry is taken up by other voices as the crowd surges toward the action...you press yourself against a row of lockers and hold on for dear life to avoid being carried along or trampled. A moment later, you find yourself in a nearly empty hallway with a clear path to your next class. You look back at the masses pushing and shoving to either get a look or find someone who actually saw what happened.
Half the school is going to be late to class.

Nearly 30 years later, and some people just never grow up. They'll ignore what's important just to see a fight. It's all about the ratings.

Posted by: DdR at October 10, 2009 09:32 AM

But, but that's not FAAAIIIRRR!!!! You're all mean!!

[ throws self on carpet, kicks, wails, holds breath until blue]

OK, now can I get the job at CNN? How about MSNBC?

Posted by: LittleRed1 at October 10, 2009 10:04 AM

Nice try, but your high IQ scores disqualify you for anything other than FOX...

Posted by: BillT at October 10, 2009 01:53 PM

Here in the Military-Industrial Complex™, we call that "shop talk". While I am quite capable of expressing myself without such "colorful" language, it is the lingua franca on-the-job, and I'm rather adept at that, too. Whatevah... ;-)

Posted by: camojack at October 12, 2009 12:42 AM

I can't remember the last time I used an adjective, noun, verb, adverb, or gerund that wouldn't be acceptable in polite company -- but I have that whole short-term memory loss thing going.

*koff*

"Well, bless your heart," can be scathingly effective with the proper intonation and predatory glare...

Posted by: BillT at October 12, 2009 05:10 AM