« Marine Team Update | Main | Marine Team Daily Roundup »

October 29, 2009

Marine of the Day: Some Random Officer

In keeping with our practice of interspersing interviews of active duty Marines with inspirational stories, today's Marine of the Day is some random officer who generously agreed (much to my surprise) to be interviewed. We hope the combined format will provide a more rounded view of the Marine perspective:

1. What is your rank and MOS in the Marine Corps?

Colonel - 8041 (ground colonel), 0802 (field artillery officer), 8848 (Management, Data Systems Officer, not sure how this got in my record), 8840 (Manpower Management Officer - my Naval Postgraduate MOS), 9702 (joint specialty officer)

2. How long have you served?

I'm in my 29th year of service.

3. What made you join the military? And why the Marine Corps?

I wanted to serve my country, I needed a job to support my family, and I wanted to serve in the best Service in the military.

4. Have you ever been deployed?

Yes - to Japan twice on 1 year unaccompanied orders each time, to Iraq on a 1 year Individual Augment assignment, currently in Afghanistan. I have made shorter education and training deployments in CONUS as well.

5. What was the most rewarding thing you ever did as a Marine?

The most rewarding thing I did was serve in 3/11 as the FSC, OpsO, and XO (Fire Support Coordinator, Operations Officer, and Executive Officer). The next was serving as EA in PP&O (Plans, Policies & Operations).

6. If you could tell a young man or woman contemplating military service just one thing, what would that be?

It is a great profession that offers great opportunity with a dedicated group of like-minded individuals.

7. What does being a Marine mean to you?

It means being part of a organization rich in tradition, able to meet any challenge, that holds itself to a higher standard.

8. What are the best and worst things about your job?

The best things are having a stable, rewarding job that sends you around the world on different assignments. The worst things are time spent away from your family and not being able to put down roots.

9. Some people say wars never solve anything. What do you think?

I think the only thing worse than war is giving into the will of someone else. There are times when war is necessary and there needs to be an organization designed to fight that war filled with people dedicated to winning that war.

10. Do you think the Marine Corps made you a better person, or would you be the same no matter what career you chose?

Posted by Cassandra at October 29, 2009 08:55 AM

Comments

Hmm... is it possible that this "random" officer sometimes goes by the codename "the Unit"?

That made me smile. Smart man.

Posted by: MikeD at October 29, 2009 11:17 AM

What I liked was the juxtaposition of that statement with this one:

"I think the only thing worse than war is giving into the will of someone else."

I expect this totally random officer has had a very interesting marriage. :)

Posted by: Grim at October 29, 2009 11:43 AM

I will admit that he is a very stubborn man :p

Only adds to his charm in my eyes. I like a challenge, and a man who knows his own mind.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 29, 2009 11:52 AM

'It made me a better person just as my wife has made me a better person - both taught me that there is more to life than just yourself.'

very sweet. :D

Posted by: kate at October 29, 2009 12:21 PM

Your husband is a good man...

Posted by: olga at October 29, 2009 01:35 PM

He is sweet. And a good man too.

He doesn't talk very much but then with me around he doesn't have to :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 29, 2009 03:17 PM

*gasp* You're... telepathic?!?!?!

Posted by: MikeD at October 29, 2009 03:36 PM

Heh. You should've put "random" in quotes...like I just did. ;-)

Posted by: camojack at October 30, 2009 12:20 AM

He has it right on the money about giving in to the will of someone else. If you cannot live peacefully with someone who wants to off you for no other reason than you are on the planet or happen to be the focal point of their brutality, then it is natural and necessary to go to war to protect your right to live.

Succinct.

Posted by: Cricket at October 30, 2009 07:26 AM

Succinct.

It's that whole Capricorn thing :p Why waste words? You never know when you might need one...

Heh.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 30, 2009 09:38 AM

*gasp* You're... telepathic?!?!?!

You have no idea how many times I've wished I were!

Posted by: Cassandra at October 30, 2009 09:39 AM

You have no idea how many times I've wished I were!

Ok, reveal time here... I happen to be a big geek. As in, I like geeky stuff like science fiction and superheroes and role playing games (and not the naughty ones like Sly), and one of my friends came up with THE most fascinating superhero concept. Her character was a young telepathic woman who simply could not deal with the cacophony of other people's thoughts in her head. To drown it out, she became a heroin addict.

I tell you that to pass along this idea. We really have NO clue what a blessing it is that we're stuck inside our own skulls. No one REALLY wants to hear what someone else is thinking. You think folks SAY hurtful and cruel things, I will lay heavy wagers that what they think is much, much worse.

Posted by: MikeD at October 30, 2009 12:33 PM

"and not the naughty ones like Sly"

Aww, Mike, you say that like it's a bad thing....
0>:~}

Posted by: DL Sly at October 30, 2009 01:05 PM

I agree, Mike. If there were a movie soundtrack in my head, it would be the movie, "Arthur". I think so many things that I would never in a million years say out loud!

Posted by: Cassandra at November 1, 2009 01:47 PM