« Yikes | Main | »

October 06, 2009

Oh Right... Like You've Never Done This....

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me...

The affidavit stated Purcell told police, “I started my husband's pants on fire” because she was mad.

She had apparently dumped his pants in a bathtub and set them on fire.

Police pressed her on why she set fire to the pants, and according to the affidavit, she replied, “He's always right, and I wanted him to be wrong this time.

Posted by Cassandra at October 6, 2009 12:08 PM

Comments

She's obviously lieing, everyone knows the husband is never right.

*running away*

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at October 6, 2009 12:24 PM

"If a man says something in the middle of a forest and there's no woman around to hear him,
Is he still wrong?"

Posted by: I'm in Existentialist Hell... at October 6, 2009 12:26 PM

This is why people really hate the media. Not because of bias but because they never give you the whole story. Why was the fire department called? It should be possible for a reasonably intelligent person to burn several pairs of pants in a bathtub without alarming the neighbors. What did she think her husband would be wrong about? Had she threatened to burn his pants and he insisted she'd never do such a thing? And, most important, how much of the Everclear she was using to ignite the pants ended up inside her?

On the other hand, maybe this isn't such a big deal. It's not like her husband was wearing the pants when she lit them up.

Posted by: Elise at October 6, 2009 12:27 PM

...maybe this isn't such a big deal. It's not like her husband was wearing the pants when she lit them up.

Nothing says "le sexy" like a man in hot pants.

*running away before spd can read this*

Posted by: I'm in Existentialist Helk... at October 6, 2009 12:29 PM

Ok, now you make me wish I had started off my first comment with "Liar, Liar, pants on fire,..."

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at October 6, 2009 12:50 PM

I know a woman who cut the crotch out of every pair of pants, shorts and underwear her husband owned.
To say she was *irked* is an understatement.

Posted by: DL Sly at October 6, 2009 12:59 PM

The Dormouse was unavailable for comment.

Posted by: BillT at October 6, 2009 01:22 PM

I just love that line :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 6, 2009 01:26 PM

Sounds like a good marriage. If it weren't, the conflagration would have occurred while he still had the pants on.

Posted by: RIslander at October 6, 2009 01:28 PM

Posted by: Cassandra at October 6, 2009 01:33 PM

Another woman who can't get her way with her man? Solution: Bring on the crazy!

My sister keeps telling me that all women are batshit crazy, but that I need to find one who is at the "lower" end of the crazy spectrum. Her words do not comfort me. It does seem, however, that an awful lot of women appear to be one bad argument away from going nuts like this.

Posted by: a former european at October 6, 2009 04:25 PM

If it's any comfort afe, for 30 years now I've almost always been the calm one.

Until 2 years or so ago, I had only really lost my temper once or twice in our marriage. My spouse was the one tended to get mad and raise his voice.

In the last few years though, we seem to have flip-flopped a bit. I get madder, easier and he seems far calmer. I think that it really freaked him out the first time I lost it. I just don't do that often. I think it also made both of us re-evaluate a few things, though.

I have never been the temper tantrum type. I detest losing my temper because when I finally do get steamed, I have a hard time reigning it in. As a fellow Taurus, you may be familiar with that phenomenon :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 6, 2009 04:32 PM

The trick, AFE, is to find a type of crazy that you think is fun. :-)

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at October 6, 2009 04:38 PM

My husband thinks I'm crazy. But he also says he can't wait to get home every night :p

I think this may be because I have never put his trousers in the tub and set them on fire...

Posted by: Cassandra at October 6, 2009 04:42 PM

KtLW, who was raised in a *vocal* Italian household, insists that the one thi -- okay, *one of the things -- I do that annoys her is refuse to be drawn into an argument.

My perfectly logical reply that it would be futile because I couldn't get a word in edgewise is invariably met with a fusillade of denial.

Lasting for an hour.

The woman has mastered the art of nano-inhalation...

Posted by: BillT at October 6, 2009 05:13 PM

That's why I come here: absolutely awesome analysis. :)

Bill's right: there's no point into being drawn into a fight. That's why the Good Lord invented the pub down the street. You can always come back and have the conversation later, when it doesn't have to be a fight.

Posted by: Grim at October 6, 2009 06:17 PM

I am wondering what setting his pants afire would make him wrong about.
(There goes the sentence-ending preposition again...)

Posted by: camojack at October 7, 2009 01:09 AM

Making the statement, "Pants won't burn in an empty bathtub" would do it....

Posted by: BillT at October 7, 2009 01:44 AM

I am wondering what setting his pants afire would make him wrong about.

Foolish man :)

You fail to appreciate the Byzantine twists and turns of female logic, which is so subtle and sophisticated that it might, to knuckle dragging Neanderthals like yourself at first appear to make absolutely no sense.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 7, 2009 07:45 AM

...it might, to knuckle dragging Neanderthals like yourself at first appear to make absolutely no sense.

Me so far down on evolutionary ladder it make no sense at second, third, and fourth appear, too.

Not count past fourth appear. Not have opposable thumb yet...

Posted by: Pithecanthropus deBille at October 7, 2009 08:07 AM

I love you guys :)

Posted by: Cassandra at October 7, 2009 08:19 AM

The wonderful thing about marriage was learning just how many things were wrong with me. Apparently, the ability to pick the proper spouse wasn't one of those things.

Posted by: RIslander at October 7, 2009 08:36 AM

Yeah, that's a SPECIAL kind of crazy. "He's always right, and I wanted him to be wrong this time."

Honey, the only thing you proved him wrong about was if he thought he married a sane woman.

Posted by: MikeD at October 7, 2009 09:19 AM

If you don't have an opposable thumb, can you still type(see first post)?

Italian, eh? I lived in an Italian neighborhood.
We used to make bets about the yelling, which was operatic, romantic and tender, and accompanied by
much hand movement.

The most frequently heard 'comment' was 'You are always making me crazy! First in the old country, and now here! I don't know why I love you!' Then it would crescendo into Italian.

No one was ever hit. Just serenaded with all the salient details of life.

Posted by: Cricket at October 7, 2009 07:01 PM

Posted by: Cassandra at October 7, 2009 07:45 AM

You're prob'ly right; I'm still laboring under the misapprehension (?) that the term "female logic" is an oxymoron. ;-)

Posted by: camojack at October 8, 2009 01:27 AM

If you don't have an opposable thumb, can you still type(see first post)?

Sure. Just like scrup'l -- use snoot for shift key.

*watching the non-Castle visitors do the "dog looking at a doorknob" head-tilt*

Posted by: Pithecanthropus deBille at October 8, 2009 02:41 AM

I don't even want to know what you use for the space bar.....
0>:~}