« Marine Team Member Steps Up! | Main | Homeward Bound »

October 30, 2009

Quote of the Day

Here:

I, for one, didn't join the legal academy to police other people's lifestyle choices. There are enough health and safety kill-joys in the world already.

I think I'll find a nice, sunny spot on campus and light up a cigar this afternoon.

That made my day. Perfect.

Posted by Cassandra at October 30, 2009 04:42 PM

Comments

I do enjoy the occasional good (usually Cuban contraband) cigar.

That being said, cigarette smoke makes me gag...

Posted by: camojack at October 30, 2009 05:58 PM

@camojack... cigar smoke is not something I enjoy... so, while you smoke your cigar, please allow me my cigarette. Pretty please?

There is one room in my house I smoke in and it's equipped with an air purifier. Otherwise I smoke outdoors only. I've never smoked in another person's house where they did not also smoke.

Even though I'm a smoker, there are some perfumes that make me gag... but I would never ever consider asking the person wearing such a perfume to go take a bath.

Vanilla scented candles make me nauseous and give me a headache, yet I do not feel I'm "authorized" to ask anyone burning them in their space to put them out or cover them up. (They don't have to be burning to make me nauseous.)

Oddly enough, exhaust from lawn mowers and gasoline-powered leaf blowers stops my nose up and makes it difficult for me to breathe. Yet, I'm not bothered at all by diesel exhaust or cigarette smoke.

Strange, eh?

Even more strange is that I prefer vanilla ice cream and vanilla pudding over any other flavor.

From my experience (and others) something will always offend someone... and us someones should accept being offended to some degree.

Posted by: Donna B. at October 31, 2009 12:31 AM

Might I suggest a nice adult beverage to go with that fine cigar? The one complements the other quite well, in my experience.

Posted by: a former european at October 31, 2009 05:02 AM

They *do* make vanilla-flavored see-gars, Mizz Donna.

They're much nicer than vanilla candles, too -- I've *never* gotten wax caught between my teeth from a see-gar...

Posted by: BillT at October 31, 2009 06:02 AM

Smartass.

;-)

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at October 31, 2009 11:38 AM

Posted by: Donna B. at October 31, 2009 12:31 AM

Hey, they're your lungs; I smoke about one cigar per month, and they don't have the paper and chemicals in 'em that cigarettes do. Y'know, the stuff that keeps 'em burning down to the filter unattended. A good cigar will go out fairly quickly.

Posted by: a former european at October 31, 2009 05:02 AM

You certainly may. That's my preference too.

They *do* make vanilla-flavored see-gars, Mizz Donna.
Posted by: BillT at October 31, 2009 06:02 AM

They damned sure do. I like those Backwoods cigars sometimes, they're good cigars for a great price...and their "sweet aromatic" cigars are flavored with vanilla.

Combined with a chocolate stout (per a former european's recommendation)? Paradise...

Posted by: camojack at October 31, 2009 11:11 PM

I actually need a new bad habit, I quit smoking about a month or two ago (can't remember exactly) and haven't missed it yet. I actually got one of those fancy new eCigs not to quite exactly, but because my company has a discount on health insurance if you don't use tabacco products. I enjoyed smoking, and didn't really want to quit, and the whole eCig thing facinated me.

Well, after about one week, I didn't need my old fashioned cigarettes anymore, and after a month or so, I didn't really use the eCig much anymore either. I know they are very careful NOT to bill these things as smoking cessation aids (otherwise the FDA would regulate them), but that's how it ended up working out for me. Best of all, if I ever do need a smoke (stressful day or something), I still have the eCig handy.

Posted by: MikeD at November 2, 2009 10:46 AM