« Well It Took Long Enough.... | Main | E.J. Dionne Explains Angry White Men to Blue America »

October 13, 2009

Rock On, You Mighty Pink Warriors!!!!!

Am I the only one to be slightly bemused by this?

marshalltd.jpg

Posted by Cassandra at October 13, 2009 04:56 AM

Comments

Heh -- Hello Kitty football accessories.

I remember when they mocked Joe Namath for wearing *white* shoes...

Posted by: BillT at October 13, 2009 07:47 AM

The players leading this actually had to lobby for quite some time, years I believe, to get the NFL to allow them to wear pink for these few games. I guess they decided against pink jerseys or pants, though :)

What amazes me is these guys didn't wear them in advance so they didn't get them dirty, the first time they put the pink shoes on was for the games. Can you imagine putting on shoes for the first time and going out and playing NFL caliber football in them? I can barely walk the first time I put new shoes on, sometimes. No break-in?

Posted by: Falze at October 13, 2009 09:45 AM

Just so everyone's aware, the pink was worn in support of breast cancer awareness. This isn't actually a fashion choice by players.

Posted by: MikeD at October 13, 2009 10:24 AM

I know that. But you have to admit there is a comedic aspect to it all the same.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 13, 2009 10:49 AM

I could think of a more tasteful way of doing that.

In fact, I can think of *several* more tasteful ways of doing that, rather than connecting it with a vision of large men in pink shoes colliding on a football field.

Posted by: BillT at October 13, 2009 10:51 AM

It doesn't really bother me. In fact, in a way I think it's deeply cool that these big lugs are willing to wear pink to support breast cancer research (withhold the snark, please) :p

But all the same, whilst watching the game the other day I kept laughing. After one of the touchdowns I finally couldn't stand it anymore and yelled, "Go, mighty pink warriors!"

Caused one guy to spit out his beer :p
Heh.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 13, 2009 10:57 AM

MikeD, thank you so much for the explanation, I was starting to worry.

Cass, when you are the Alpha dog, who is going to say anything?

Posted by: Russ at October 13, 2009 11:25 AM

I am sorry but I think the pink cleats look like ballet slippers (trust me - I wore them for years!)

Someone had waaaaaaaay too much fun designing them.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 13, 2009 11:27 AM

No snark, but remember, most of these big lugs have wives they love very much. Gotta say, breast cancer becomes much more personal to a man after he's married.

MikeD, thank you so much for the explanation, I was starting to worry.

I wondered myself when I saw my Steelers sporting pink gear. But I puzzled it out when our newspaper did an entire edition on pink newsprint for the same event.

And finally, one note, not directed at anyone here (or anyone in particular). I recall some feminist snarking in the 80's that if men got cancer of the penis, it would have already been cured (as a way of explaining why breast cancer was not yet cured). I've always wanted to ask that woman what her theory was on prostate cancer then.

Posted by: MikeD at October 13, 2009 11:51 AM

Well, you know me.

I'm not really big on that whole 'politics of gender resentment' thingy, whether it's women or men painting with the broad brush. Feminists say a lot of really dumb things about men.

On the otter heiny, sometimes I can see why they are so cranky :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 13, 2009 12:23 PM

I don't know much about fashion, but I asked my neighbor, Terrence Poofypuff, his opinion as he skipped past my house. He assured me that the look was FABULOUS and full of whimsy! He then playfully hit me with his feathered boa and called me a "sillypoo".

Posted by: a former european at October 13, 2009 03:28 PM

Ok - now that we have the pink shoe issue cleared up, someone care to explain to me WTH Denver was wearing last weekend?

Posted by: HomefrontSix at October 13, 2009 03:47 PM

Denver was wearing snow.

I presume the football team was wearing something else?

Posted by: BillT at October 13, 2009 03:53 PM

Denver was wearing their AFL Legacy jerseys for the game. Absolutely hideous . . but didn't stop our guys from beating the Pats!!

Posted by: Nina at October 13, 2009 04:12 PM

These guys were adorable but I really loved the baseball players going pink to support breast cancer research on Mother's Day. Some of them even used pink bats - too cute. The crowning touch, though, was a Cubs announcer who described one batter's efforts at the plate as an attempt to "lift and separate".

Posted by: Elise at October 13, 2009 06:07 PM

In support of Breast Cancer Awareness, The PRCA Rodeo Cowboys have the "Tough Enough To Wear Pink" Campaign. All the Cowboys and Cowgirls wear pink, even the bullfighters.

Posted by: Leslie at October 13, 2009 10:15 PM

"lift and separate".

No. No. No. No. No. Lift and push together! :©)

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at October 14, 2009 11:39 AM