« Steel on Target! | Main | Web Site of the Day... »

October 27, 2009

The Marines Have Landed!

You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are.

- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st Marine Division Chaplain
Korean War

marineteam102609.jpg

Status report below the fold.

Yesterday was a good day.

We took an early and commanding lead only to suffer a setback in the afternoon when Army got a huge donation that catapulted them into the lead. We counterattacked aggressively and by 8 pm held a very narrow lead over Army. Last last night the shock troops arrived in the form of a very generous donation for $1300 from a wonderful gentleman. As of 5 pm this morning here were the totals for each team:

Army $4120
Navy $1875
Air Force $1955
Marines $5465

We began the day with 36 blogs on the Marine team and gained 13 (!) during the day. That's huge - big thanks to everyone who joined and to existing Marine team members for helping to spread the word. Be sure to check these folks out in the blogroll in the sidebar:

J's Cafe Nette
New Business Hawk
The Backpost
Llano Estacado
D S H (dot) N E T
Hugh Hewitt
Ruby Slippers
don't have one
Mostly Game
Heigh-ho
Shadowscope
Political inSecurity
Thor's Hall
People's Press Collective

Now for some well deserved thanks:

Our 4 generous donors (that I know of - I don't see the names or individual amounts unless the donor emails me) yesterday turned the tide for us. These four folks alone added $1900 to our team total and when you count in the matching donations from Retriever and myself, that total jumps to an astonishing $2650! Clearly, matching works. If you're planning to make a big donation at some point, consider offering to match reader donations: your money will work twice as hard for Valour IT.

Cassy Fiano has been amazing. From helping us recruit team members, to suggestions and providing trivia, to interviewing our Marine of the Day and cross posting Valour IT entries over at Stop the ACLU, she's been a leader every step of the way.

Brand new team member (as of yesterday) Dr. Melissa Clouthier hit the ground running, giving us a big boost by cross posting over at the home of that fascist my buddy John Hawkins' Reich Wing News.

Retriever
, another leader, put some skin in the game by offering to match donations up to $500! This is a GREAT incentive - we did it in 2006 and the results were amazing. Talk about a force multiplier!

The always amazing Hugh Hewitt was kind enough to give us a shout out yesterday. Unfortunately I'm not sure whether this happened on Twitter (the blog princess is one of the stubborn Luddites who refuses to Tweet) or on his radio show or what? Hugh has been a Marine team member every year and we can't say enough good things about him. Apparently he and David Frum got into it last night on his show - transcripts here and the backstory here.

Finally, the one sure thing about thanking people by name is that I will certainly, more due to advancing OldTimers, forget someone. Please, please, please don't be offended if you contributed something and I forgot to mention you. Between managing email traffic, monitoring our progress, updating the blogrolls and email list, answering questions and resolving problems my multitasking abilities are severely stretched. Be assured that if I did forget to mention your hard work I will wake up at 2 am in a cold sweat worrying about it. You may miss out on the public recognition but your assistance is invaluable and very much appreciated. Please attribute the omission to my imperfections as a manager and not to lack of appreciation.

So... our mission for today is to continue building a strong team (ask your friends! pester blog buddies!) and to keep those donations rolling in. Here are some suggestions:

1. If you have cross posting privileges, ask if you can cross post or - better yet - post a donation widget on other sites you belong to.

2. Reach out to churches, Scout troops, and other civic organizations. This is a great way to reconnect the civilian community with our armed forces.

3. If your corporation or employer matches donations, PLEASE ASK THEM TO MATCH FUNDS. Again, this is a HUGE multiplier for us. I asked my boss yesterday and I hate asking for anything.

4. Try low tech! If you don't have much money but still want to help, how about handing out or emailing flyers to your friends and neighbors? I'll have one online for you to use as a template later today.

5. If you have connections in the print media, TV or radio, ask them to cover Valour IT and especially the MARINE TEAM! The history of Valour IT makes a fantastic human interest story and the interservice rivalry aspect only makes it better.

6. I'd like to add another idea I had this morning: "In memory of" donations. If you want to make a donation - big or small - in memory of someone you've lost (or just someone you love - maybe a deployed service member or parent) I will post their name in my sidebar and also feature daily "In memory of" donations in a dedicated post. I will apply this retroactively since we've already had at least one very generous donation that I know of. Your donation can be anonymous or not - let me know your preference in this regard. I will assume you want to be anonymous unless you explicitly tell me otherwise.

7. Don't forget asking your readers to promote Valour IT (and the MARINE TEAM) on social networking venues like the Tweetosphere and FaceBook-o-sphere:

Our official Facebook Valour-IT event page is

The ONLY official Soldiers' Angels Facebook page

Twitter @valourIT with hashtag #valourit
Blog http://valour-it.blogspot.com/

After all, someone has to Tweet :p The VC Editorial Staff are just happy it is not us :p

Finally, THANK YOU for all you do. You are all amazing and I can't thank you enough.

Posted by Cassandra at October 27, 2009 05:33 AM

Comments

Why does your Marine chart have an Army ACU camo pattern background?

Posted by: Heartless Libertarian at October 27, 2009 08:56 AM

Because I'm a woman and didn't know the difference :p

I just Googled 'digital cammies'. I didn't even know the Army and Marines had difference patterns.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 27, 2009 09:08 AM

They do. The Army wears green uniforms in the desert, with sand-colored t-shirts. The Marines wear sand-colored uniforms in the desert, with green t-shirts. (They do have this nifty digital pattern that includes random EGAs, though).

Posted by: Grim at October 27, 2009 09:19 AM

Try searching for MARPAT, and 'MARPAT desert.'

Posted by: Grim at October 27, 2009 09:23 AM

Or search for Marzipan Desserts.

It'll make a more colorful background.

Posted by: BillT at October 27, 2009 09:50 AM

Don't have time to redo it now, but if I do one tomorrow I'll definitely fix the background.

Thanks, guys! I'm pretty clueless about uniform stuff and since The Unit's over there I have nothing to compare it to. I rarely see him in cammies, as Marines aren't authorized to wear the uniform en route. He wears civvies b/c if he doesn't he can't get out of the car to pump gas or stop at the store.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 27, 2009 10:03 AM

Oddly, I knew about the green t-shirt difference but since the graphic was so small on screen I didn't notice how much green it has in it.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 27, 2009 10:04 AM

Where are my fellow squids? Are you going to let the jarheads embarrass us after 200 years of humping their camoflaged lazy-assed butts from the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli?

I want some NAVY, people!

Posted by: spd rdr at October 27, 2009 10:30 AM

The squids are probably doing the same thing they were doing in the 1970s when I was still young and cute: trying to pick up every pretty girl in sight :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 27, 2009 11:07 AM

Actually, the Army traded in the woodland cammy for the shades-of-grey pixels that don't blend with anything except volcanic ash deposits, but they're *digital*, hence, trendy.

The Marines also went with the trendy shades-of-grey pixels that don't blend with anything except volcanic ash deposits, and then added random representations of a seagull perched on a skewered beach ball to foster the illusion that they were intended to be worn where there's sand...

Posted by: BillT at October 27, 2009 11:48 AM

Posted by: Cassandra at October 27, 2009 11:07 AM

True enough. While the 1970's jarheads were busy chest-bumping each other, we 1970's sailors were busy chest-bumping...um...um....

Belay my last.

The smoking lamp is now lighted throughout the ship.

Posted by: spd rdr at October 27, 2009 12:08 PM

Cassandra, please do believe me when I say that no offense or slight is meant by the following. But the squids I knew were not so choosy as to restrict their attentions to just the pretty girls. Heck, to be honest, they didn't restrict them to just the girls, depending on how much liquor had been consumed. In fact, I'm fairly certain they didn't restrict themselves to animate objects at times.

Oh those silly squids. :)

Posted by: MikeD at October 27, 2009 01:21 PM

Mike, you didn't think there was a 'logistical' reason for all those holes on ship, didja?

Posted by: DL Sly at October 27, 2009 01:35 PM

It's inter service snark season... I fink dere's a wabbit awound here!

Posted by: Cassandra at October 27, 2009 02:06 PM

I don't know... the ACUs blend well with green pieces of furniture, too.

And then there are the ABU boots, which are either blue or "sage" depending on whom you ask...

Posted by: Grim at October 27, 2009 02:08 PM

It is only sage if you ask a female. Males only see in 16 primary colors.

Posted by: Russ at October 27, 2009 02:27 PM

Umm, Russ? There are only three primary colors, from which all other colors are derived....like Army green, fer instance. 0>;~}

Marine Corps red and yellow, though, are primary.

Posted by: DL Sly at October 27, 2009 02:43 PM

Marine Corps red and yellow, though, are primary.

And, since the Marines were formed as seagoing infantry, we couldn't have

*heh*

Navel Orange

*koff*

without them...

Posted by: BillT at October 27, 2009 02:58 PM

I fellfor a Navel Orange once, but she ditched me for four Green Queens and a pint of the usual.

Posted by: spd rdr at October 27, 2009 03:21 PM

Oh, so now we're naval gazing?

Posted by: MikeD at October 27, 2009 03:25 PM

I had a Fuzzy Navel........once. But it was the pitcher of Kamikaze's that made my tongue *feel fuzzy* the next day.

Posted by: DL Sly at October 27, 2009 03:33 PM

Wierd, I get that same thing when I lick the lint trap on the dryer... funny old world, innit?

Posted by: MikeD at October 27, 2009 03:51 PM

Fuzzy! That's her! THAT'S MY GIRL!
Lord knows, I still miss the way that she poked me in the eye and stole my paycheck, all the while purring to me in the sweetest Catalonian idioms. What. A. Woman! Lips like Legos! Legs like sandpaper turnstiles! How could I ever forget her! Barcelona will always be ours!

Unless you want some more information, you'd beter plunk down some hard money for our boys and girls via Valour IT. Otherwise, I'll be forced to dredge up stories about Naples on New Year's Eve 1980 - and, trust me, you don't want to go there.

Posted by: spd rdr at October 27, 2009 03:52 PM

"I get that same thing when I lick the lint trap on the dryer..."

*taps keys on keyboard ponderingly*

Ummm, Mike?

*type type type....backspacebackspacebackspace....type type type.....backspace.....*

Nevermind.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at October 27, 2009 04:51 PM

You are all certifiably insane.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 27, 2009 04:58 PM

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

Posted by: DL Sly at October 27, 2009 05:08 PM

Sooooooo many straight lines, soooooo little bandwidth...

Posted by: BillT at October 28, 2009 12:42 AM

Nevermind.

*Blinks innocently*

Madam, whatever could you mean? :P

You are all certifiably insane.

Just doing my part to make everyone's day a bit more surreal.

Sooooooo many straight lines, soooooo little bandwidth...

Someone's gotta pitch the softballs for you to knock out of the park Bill. Plus, you never know what might spark a TINS.

Posted by: MikeD at October 28, 2009 09:19 AM

I'm going to go stand in the corner and let the adults play. I'm way over my head. DL, thinks for not following MikeD down the rabbit hole.

Posted by: Russ at October 28, 2009 10:41 AM

"Sooooooo many straight lines...."

And did I even get a thank you for those straight lines left dangling like the participle on a camo comment?
Nnnnoooooooooo!
Didn't even get a joke out of 'em.
Geeeezzzz.