« Smile for the Day | Main | Quote of the Day »

November 25, 2009

Classy

Unpopular post of the day:

I love, love, love the way Michelle Obama looks in this photo:

michelle.jpg

I love her hair up, and I really like to see her in simple, well cut clothes that show her figure to advantage. Full marks to whoever came up with this ensemble.

Perfect.

Posted by Cassandra at November 25, 2009 03:10 PM

Comments

Somehow I feel like it might look better with straps, but other than that, I agree: simple lines and understated (but classy) fabrics look good on her.

Maybe she's got rid of the advisor who kept pushing that loud clothing with the unfortunate colors?

Posted by: Little Miss Attila at November 25, 2009 05:19 PM

Yeah. She's a big woman and I like her better in drape-y fabrics and simple lines. I do think she looks good in bright colors (as I do) but someone that big can't take bright colors AND fussy clothing together. Simplicity becomes her.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 25, 2009 05:26 PM

I'm not that fond of the strapless dress. So many women get "boob spillover", even if they're not that well endowed.

But I thought this one looked pretty good on her.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 25, 2009 05:27 PM

An Indian designer Naeem something (can't think of his last name) 3 weeks to make it and 40 people to hand stitch it.

Posted by: Sadie at November 25, 2009 05:55 PM

I have to agree with you, Cass. She looks great. No big fat belt way above her waist, no sweater. Just a purty dress. Great choice!

Posted by: MathMom at November 25, 2009 06:20 PM

Just what is wrong with a little boob spillover?

Posted by: Pile On at November 25, 2009 07:21 PM

Ah, good to 'see' you Pile.

I never realized it before but Girlfriend has some serious trapezoids going on!

Posted by: HomefrontSix at November 25, 2009 09:11 PM

"Just what is wrong with a little boob spillover?"

yea ...

Posted by: I Call BS at November 25, 2009 09:15 PM

Posted by: Cricket at November 26, 2009 09:53 AM

I keep seeing this picture around the intertubes, and every time I see it I think, "Now, THAT would have been a great Inauguration gown!" It makes the most of the good bits, and the least of the less good bits. Outta the park.

Posted by: MathMom at November 26, 2009 11:10 AM

She does look good and, yes, I did notice her eyes are up there. Still, the photo just doesn't look somehow right. I guess I've just gotten used to seeing Obama bowing and scraping to foreigners, so the upright stance in this photo is disconcerting.

Posted by: a former european at November 26, 2009 03:34 PM

My disappointment in this is that Lady M could not find anything suitable by a US designer. I thought she was supposed to showcase OUR stuff.

I know Jackie was into french stuff, etc. Just wanted to set that straight.

The O's are just so nouveau riche and full of class and style....I will reserve the rest of what I want to say, but they are not Baby Ruth bars floating in the pool.....

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at November 26, 2009 08:02 PM

I don't care how she dresses, she's still a bad person, basically. Can't polish a turd.

IMO, that is, although I know that I'm not alone in that one...

Posted by: camojack at November 27, 2009 08:23 PM

Well, yanno, Camo, Mythbusters actually did that one, and it turns out you *can* polish a turd. However, the end result is still nothing more than a shiny POS.

Posted by: DL Sly at November 27, 2009 09:21 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Camo and DL. Yea verily, one might attempt to buff up a turd, but the results will still remain crappy.

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at November 28, 2009 12:14 PM

It is possible to polish a turd, but it requires enclosing the turd in acrylic or plastic. Observe the subtle sheen of these fine earrings and swizzle sticks!

Posted by: MathMom at November 28, 2009 01:48 PM

Posted by: Americaneocon at November 28, 2009 03:12 PM

I agree, this gown is gorgeous and works for her. And I liked this one, too.

Posted by: Jill at November 28, 2009 06:16 PM

Swizzle sticks!! MM, that's just wrong.

Actually, the Mythbuster's episode had them just polishing turds - no acrylic or plastic.

Posted by: DL Sly at November 28, 2009 08:28 PM

Swell. The thread gets hijacked with comments about polished poo swizzle sticks, and American Power tracked-back with, 'Pumping Celebrity, White House Publishes Dinner-Crasher Pics on Flickr...

Posted by: BillT at November 29, 2009 04:33 AM

Like any tokens, that's their only selling point.

Posted by: Richard McEnroe at November 29, 2009 11:20 AM

My mom posted this article on her facebook. Was wondering what you thought.

Posted by: wifeunit at November 29, 2009 05:40 PM

I think some people need to get over themselves.

Blacks are... what? 13% of the population? And then there are dark and light skinned hispanics, Indians, Asians. But even if you add all of those variants into the mix, that term has been around since I was a little girl (and the US was considerably less diverse in terms of skin color).

I think that if people are that determined to look for offense, they are going to have very unhappy lives. Reminds me of the morons who used to go around "correcting" people for automatically using masculine pronouns to refer to a single person of unknown sex or mixed groups.

Yes. Women are half of humanity. And it's damned awkward to have to do linguistic gymnastics just to avoid the possibility of some woman, somewhere taking mortal offense. I'd like to think I'm a bit more secure than that :p

Apparently some other people just enjoy being offended.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 29, 2009 08:48 PM

It's a symbiotic relationship -- some of us just enjoy being on the offensive...

Posted by: BillT at November 29, 2009 11:51 PM

Posted by: DL Sly at November 27, 2009 09:21 PM

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at November 28, 2009 12:14 PM

Posted by: MathMom at November 28, 2009 01:48 PM

Swizzle sticks!! MM, that's just wrong.
Posted by: DL Sly at November 28, 2009 08:28 PM

Posted by: BillT at November 29, 2009 04:33 AM

I love it. ;-)

Posted by: camojack at November 30, 2009 03:55 AM

Hehe...

Posted by: Cricket at November 30, 2009 09:16 AM

Yanno, MM, I have just decided that my mind needed a vacation from Intermediate Accounting. I suspect the Tome is a Horcrux, anyway.

I clicked on the link. I am now scuttling back to the Tome.

Posted by: Cricket at November 30, 2009 09:23 AM

DL Sly and Cricket -

I must say that I did not bring up the subject of turds! But whenever I see error on the intertubes (i.e., you cannot polish a turd) I feel duty bound to correct it, one post at a time.

So, with my personal experience of life in Alaska, and my close personal experience with moose poo, fresh, frozen, thawed, and on swizzle sticks (no, I never could touch them, even though they were encased in plastic), I felt the obligation to wade into the discussion.

And, Cricket, finals are coming. See how I got you back to the books? This is not a time to slack off!

Posted by: MathMom at November 30, 2009 10:12 AM

//"They are a handsome couple; always have been. And when they get dressed right, they are knockouts."

Like any tokens, that's their only selling point.

Still, I have to agree, Michelle is the best-looking disbarred lawyer who was ever hired to steer poor people away from medical coverage they were entitled to by law...//

Mr. McEnroe needs to remove his head from that dark, moist, malodorous yet comfortable place where it is lodged and put down the beer bottle [http://threebeerslater.blogspot.com/] long enough to check the accuracy of what he says. Mrs. Obama is not disbarred - she is "voluntarily inactive" according to the Illinois Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Commission [https://www.iardc.org/ldetail.asp?id=822740614]. People with dark, moist, malodorous substances in their eyes and ears probably need an explanation of the word "voluntary": it is the opposite of "involuntary" and means, in this context, Mr. Beer-Brains, that Mrs. Obama chose to become inactive and ineligible to practice.

You can choose your opinions, perhaps, but you're not allowed to make up the facts.Too bad facts

Posted by: I Call BS at December 1, 2009 12:07 AM

Please delete the words "Too bad facts" from the end of my last BS-call-out.

Posted by: I Call BS at December 1, 2009 12:11 AM

And as for Mr. Beer-Brains' "token" crack [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokenism], I call thinly-veiled "racism".

Posted by: I Call BS at December 1, 2009 12:15 AM

Given the way that guy's head dress looks, he could have some boob spillover if he unravels that thing.

Posted by: Hummer at December 1, 2009 12:07 PM

Dear BS --

As for the 'voluntary inactive," thank you for not sharing the following line on the form:
"No malpractice report required as attorney is on court ordered inactive status."

So Michelle jumped before she could be pushed and avoided a permanent mark on her record. A sweet deal.

I also notice you make no response to the nature of her hospital job, ie, steering expensive poor people away from the hospital's emergency services.

As for the token comment, son, I was around when tokenism was invented. The Obies are the EPITOME of tokenism, sitting at the big front desk where everyone can see them while the dirty work is done by a bunch of middle-aged white guys in the back office. Or can you point to one single accomplishment either of these mannequins have besides looking presentable enough to hire? I think I'll stand by my comment.

As for dark, malodorous places, well, where else can I meet you?

Posted by: Richard McEnroe at December 1, 2009 03:26 PM

She went inactive voluntarily, and the Court "order" follows as a matter of course. As for the rest of your remarks, they are your "opinions" (which cannot have been based on your personal knowledge: "the nature of her hospital job, ie, steering expensive poor people away from the hospital's emergency services"). I stand by everything else I said, especially the "token" crack!

Posted by: I Call BS at December 1, 2009 03:39 PM

Well, Cassandra, you're a better woman than me. Being the unforgiving sort, (I'm working on it) until she apologizes for the crack about not being proud of my country, then, to me, she'll always be a sow wearing lipstick. Ugly. And I'm not referring to her physical characteristics about which I could care less. And, how about her teleprompter man? He looks like a cardboard cutout or mannequin that hasn't been placed on a level surface.

Posted by: Barbara at December 3, 2009 08:14 PM