« This is What Brothers are for... | Main | War, and Remembrance »

November 12, 2009

Hey Wait a Minute... Isn't this "Torture"?

Scaring little children?

Last Saturday, the President hosted several hundred military families for trick or treating. Also invited were children of White House staff and about 2000 children from eleven D.C. area elementary schools.

In a press release published at their website, key Obama ally Code Pink – a group co-founded by one of Obama’s top funders Jodie Evans, announced they were targeting military families for what can only be called psychological abuse by conducting a macabre protest of the war in Afghanistan as the families waited in line to enter the White House grounds.

...Dressed in fatigues with a bloody bandage wrapped around her head, Benjamin loudly moaned as she emoted being a ‘zombie soldier’, while holding a black cut-out of a rifle and wearing a pink sign that read, “The White House is haunted by the ghosts of Bush’s war.”

That’s just what children of soldiers fighting for our freedom should see, yes? Well, if your intent is to wage psychological warfare on the families of our troops to aid our terrorist enemies then the answer would indeed be, “yes.”

Fairooz, convincingly portraying a witch (as the Buck Owens song says, all she had to do was ‘act naturally’), called out to the children, telling them she wanted “young blood” for the war. (1:25 mark in video.)

Reuters was so disgusted by the display, the newswire’s photo caption accused Code Pink of taunting the children.

Posted by Cassandra at November 12, 2009 08:12 AM

Comments

"If inducing fear and mental discomfort have been defined as torture when applied to grown men, how does Code Pink get away with doing those things to children?"

Are you now defining "inducing fear and mental discomfort" as "torture"?

Unfortunately, the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees free speech, absent a "clear and present danger" of harm the police power is authorized to prevent.

I doubt BHO asked the Code Pink-ers to show up. PLUS they were criticizing BHO; plus they were not on White House property.

Nevertheless, the effort to proselytize to and frighten the kids is repulsive.

Posted by: I Call BS at November 12, 2009 04:06 PM

Are you now defining "inducing fear and mental discomfort" as "torture"?

Cass isn't. But Code Pink does. Which is the entire point. Code Pink is perfectly OK with "inducing fear and mental discomfort" when *they* do it.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 12, 2009 04:17 PM

Are you now defining "inducing fear and mental discomfort" as "torture"?

I'm not. But the Left (including Code Pink) have.

Also, I don't see anywhere in this post where I have tried in any way to link Code Pink's actions to Obama. So you are refuting an accusation I neither made, nor even intended to insinuate.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 12, 2009 04:17 PM

This is along the same lines as their bogus protest in Berkeley. They say they're for free speech and against violence, and yet when they're trying to make a point they use violence and suppress free speech. I'm "calling BS" on code pink.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 12, 2009 04:19 PM

But but but but it's for the children, Cass! What a bunch of *itches.

Posted by: Cricket at November 12, 2009 04:53 PM

//" ... key Obama ally Code Pink – a group co-founded by one of Obama’s top funders Jodie Evans ..."//

"I don't see anywhere in this post where I have tried in any way to link Code Pink's actions to Obama ..."

OK - YOU weren't PERSONALLY "tr[ying] in any way to link Code Pink's actions to Obama", but you quoted something which did/does. I presumed you were endorsing the linking (real or imagined) by quoting http://biggovernment.com/2009/11/09/obama-ally-code-pink-targets-children-of-military-families-for-psychological-abuse/ which did link them.

OK?

Posted by: I Call BS at November 12, 2009 05:38 PM

"They say they're for free speech and against violence, and yet when they're trying to make a point they use violence and suppress free speech."

Maybe in some other place, but in their repulsive performance for the White House visitors they did neither of these things, did they?

Posted by: I Call BS at November 12, 2009 05:40 PM

No, but that's not her point. The point is that both are examples of hypocrisy. There is nothing that says one can only be a hypocrite about one and only one thing.

That depends on what you call a "link". Saying that Code Pink is a supporter of Obama is not the same as saying that Code Pink follows his orders.

Did Code Pink show up at BHO's request? No, and Cass never said or suggested otherwise. But to suggest that Code Pink is non-partisan would be absurd. Code Pink is a leftist organization which hews to the leftist definition of torture as "inducing fear and mental discomfort"...

Except when they do it, and then it's perfectly OK.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 12, 2009 06:39 PM

I presumed you were endorsing the linking...

Balderdash. Linking or citing something in that link doesn't imply a damned thing about "endorsement."

Posted by: BillT at November 13, 2009 02:12 AM

A link directs you to further information. Cass gave her opinion, gave information. You can agree or not, but do so on the facts; not what you think you can rhetorically read into it.

Posted by: Cricket at November 13, 2009 09:58 AM

oh puleeze ... this is not even "plausible deniability", folks ...

Posted by: I Call BS at November 13, 2009 12:52 PM

OK, so where did Cass suggest that BHO asked Code Pink to show up?

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 13, 2009 05:04 PM

This is pretty silly, ICBS. I don't "endorse" something just b/c I link to it.

If you want my opinion, read what I've written - don't go diving through one of the 90000 things I've linked to infer something I never said.

THIS IS WHAT I SAID:

Posted by: Cassandra at November 13, 2009 05:09 PM

oh puleeze ... this is not even "plausible deniability", folks ...

'Nother euphemisms for "My English comprehension skills are sadly lacking."

Posted by: BillT at November 14, 2009 02:56 AM