« Time for Some Foolishness | Main | Smile for the Day »

November 24, 2009

Lawfare

You've got to love it:

Navy SEALs have secretly captured one of the most wanted terrorists in Iraq — the alleged mastermind of the murder and mutilation of four Blackwater USA security guards in Fallujah in 2004. And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges, sources told FoxNews.com.

The three, all members of the Navy's elite commando unit, have refused non-judicial punishment — called an admiral's mast — and have requested a trial by court-martial.

Ahmed Hashim Abed, whom the military code-named "Objective Amber," told investigators he was punched by his captors — and he had the bloody lip to prove it.

A bloody lip. Saul Alinsky rules.

Posted by Cassandra at November 24, 2009 05:32 PM

Comments

I'm sorry, but this is why you bring them (the bad guys) in when they have achieved thermal equilibrium, or are at least well on the way to that achievement.

BZ to the SEALS for pushing back. The people even CONSIDERING prosecution should have their asses kicked as far as the entire Spec Ops community can kick them. And when they get tired, turn them over to the Marines, then the Army, the Navy, the Coasties, the wives, husbands, mothers and fathers of any service member and then the Air Force.

That is some of the most demoralizing BS I have heard, but I have to admit, it doesn't surprise me much.

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at November 24, 2009 06:32 PM

WTF?!

Posted by: olga at November 24, 2009 08:39 PM

Good for the SEALs. Accepting non-judicial punishment would have been an admission that they did something wrong -- going for a court-martial places the Navy in the position of *proving* they did something wrong.

And if the Navy finds them guilty of being *mean* to Ahmed Hashim Abed, that will solve the problem of what to do with battlefield captures of unlawful combattants, because there won't *be* any more live captures. That'll sure "restore our moral standing in the eyes of the world" -- although it won't make the Intel Community very happy...

Posted by: BillT at November 24, 2009 11:56 PM

Check out the flame battle that's happening in HotAir, Blackfive and AoSHQ over AP's indiscreet post on the SEALs possibly getting a wrist-slap.

Contains both links to the original HotAir post (although you'll have to dig down to post #47 or so, I think) as well as Uncle Jimbo's... less than polite response.

Lex is on this one as well.

Blast me if I know how to linkify (hopefully it's automatic).

Posted by: Gregory at November 25, 2009 12:30 AM

This doth pisseth me off. Truly.

Yes, catch the bad guys, but please don't do it with anything more lethal than silly string.

Posted by: Donna B. at November 25, 2009 01:02 AM

Oh no. Not the dreaded infidel silly string! That would be a violation of the Geneva Conventions that we do not fall under and would also cause them to bathe more than their feet.

Donna you are a war criminal!!!

Snark off

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at November 25, 2009 09:30 AM

We are becoming a joke in the eyes of our enemy. When can the adults come back?

Posted by: Pile On at November 25, 2009 10:18 AM

Foolish wingnut!

The adults are already in charge.

Posted by: Barack Obama at November 25, 2009 10:23 AM

That smell in the air is the stench of political correctness wafting from the FBI's complicity in the Ft. Hood murders to Iraq and the alleged bloody lip on a monster. I will assume that Abed gave himself a fat lip and/or had assistance from his Iraqi captors when the SEALS were out of the room.

We have to assume that the Alinsky playbook is now bedside reading for terrorists. They are ginning up support for their cause by creating a crisis then sitting back watching the P.C. crowd run around with their hair on fire. Much like the Kentucky insurance suicide where the census worker hung himself and Andrew Sullivan immediately blamed the right for causing a gun loving, Bible thumper to go nuts.

Apparently the terrorists and Andrew Sullivan create crisis to further their own agenda with outrageous charges trumpeted by the lamestream media. When the charges are proven absurd after cursory investigation the 'trumpeters' disappear followed by the chirping of crickets when the truth comes out.

Posted by: vet66 at November 25, 2009 11:09 AM

I think this is perfect. "they have refused non-judicial punishment — called an admiral's mast — and have requested a trial by court-martial."

They are really saying, "prove it". God, I love those who have balls enough to say f&%k off.

Posted by: jason at November 26, 2009 09:29 PM

An Oldie that Still Holds True:

Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at November 28, 2009 11:36 PM

This makes me ill. There is some brass somewhere that badly needs ass kicking, and I will gladly lend my foot that that cause.

Posted by: Cousin Dave at November 30, 2009 01:18 PM

In all fairness to the "brass" (whoever they may be) I suspect they don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter.

In the military, accusations are not supposed to be swept under the rug. They have to be investigated.

Over the years I've watched countless investigations that everyone thought were stupid and pointless, nevertheless proceed. And the overwhelming majority of the time, if a charge is groundless the investigation does a very good job of revealing exactly that.

I don't think we want a world where a command selectively ignores rules they find not to their taste. Requesting a court martial is the right answer - normally there is an article 32 hearing or some such procedure to determine whether there is even enough evidence to go forward.

That said, I find this as distasteful as anyone else. What makes me wonder is why they were offered NJP first?

Posted by: Cassandra at November 30, 2009 01:31 PM

Cass, I get your point, but from the publicity it seems that the Navy was geared up for a political correctness exercise here. Whoever decided to levy the charges has to have known, considering the extraordinary circumstances, that this was going to draw attention, yet they did nothing to explain the circumstances or why an investigation is necessary. I understand full well why the guys were offered NJP -- it would have required an admission of guilt, and then whoever in the Pentagon is pushing this case can go back to the White House, say "look at the heads I rolled", and curry favor with our current anti-American Administration. It's an absolutely shameless example of some desk jockey wanting to be an apparatchik.

They screwed up, though. They expected the guys to fold, just like John Murtha expected the guys he accused in the Jenin make-believe massacre to fold. But the accused have figured out that it's a politically motivated prosecution. Under those circumstances, demanding a court-martial is the right play. If the court-martial is fair, then likely (assuming there aren't pertinent facts that we haven't heard) they will be acquitted. If the court-martial is a kangaroo court, it will be obvious to the whole world that they were set up.

Posted by: Cousin Dave at December 1, 2009 11:45 AM

I'm not sure that's the reasoning, but it's definitely a possibility.

The command may have felt that NJP would satisfy command diligence without subjecting them (and the Navy) to public scrutiny. No good comes of these media brouhaha's even when they are resolved satisfactorily - the dirty linen always gets aired, or at the least the attorneys involved say regrettable things. I can understand the desire to avoid a public spectacle.

What I can't understand is why anyone would expect them to accept NJP if there were no evidence to support formal charges? Not saying they did anything wrong. It just makes me wonder, that's all.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 2, 2009 03:05 PM