« Questioning the "Palin Double Standard" | Main | Caught in the Act! »

November 18, 2009

Oh. Dear. God.

This is so bizarre that it's almost impossible to mock sufficiently. But since I care more than any of you people will ever know, allow me to attempt to scale Mt. Ignorance on your behalf:

This is only the second time in its nearly ten-year history that the Dish has gone silent. The reason now is the same as the reason then. When dealing with a delusional fantasist like Sarah Palin, it takes time to absorb and make sense of the various competing narratives that she tells about her life. There are so many fabrications and delusions in the book, mixed in with facts, that just making sense of it - and comparing it with objective reality as we know it, and the subjective reality she has previously provided - is a bewildering task. She is a deeply disturbed person which makes this work of fiction and fact all the more challenging to read. And the fact that she is now the leader of the Republican party and a potential presidential candidate, makes this process of deconstruction an important civil responsibility.

...the Dish has tried to be rigorous and careful in analyzing Palin's unhinged grip on reality from the very beginning - specifically her fantastic story of her fifth pregnancy - we feel it's vital that we grapple with this new data as fairly and as rigorously as possible. That takes time to get right. And it is so complicated we simply cannot focus on anything else.

Let me see if I have this straight:

Double digit inflation** unemployment. I blame Sarah Palin's uterus.

Recession.

A President paralyzed by indecision: Should he fully resource the war of necessity that's vital, not just to the security of the United States but to the security of the world??? Decisions, decisions.

An historic reform of our entire health care system hanging by a thread...

But fear not, gentle readers! For in the midst of all these heavy matters, we can rely upon Andrew Sullivan to deeply delve into matters of transporting significance... like the highly suspicious 5th pregnancy of a married woman who isn't holding a political office at the moment and isn't expected to run for anything anytime soon.

Once he's done deconstructing Sarah Palin's 5th pregnancy, hopefully he'll have time to catch us up on the Britney Spears/Kevin Federline divorce. I think we're all feeling a bit safer today, knowing Sully is on the case.

Update: *snort*. I am so stealing the "twee rage" phrase from the comments.

Update II (Oh no. I'm starting to feel like Glenn Greenwald): The Dark RSS Feed of the Soul.

Perfect.

Posted by Cassandra at November 18, 2009 04:10 PM

Comments

Andrew Sullivan: A one man (?) insane clown posse.

"Send in the clowns
There have to be clowns
Don't bother, they're here!"

Let's buy him some big shoes and a funny red nose on E-Bay!

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at November 18, 2009 05:39 PM

If he did not exist, I would have to make him up.

I really, really don't get the obsession with Palin. I'm beginning to believe that may be one of the few remaining signs of sanity in a world gone mad.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 18, 2009 05:59 PM

Let's drop the big one and see what happens....

Posted by: Vinvent at November 18, 2009 06:36 PM

Methinks a HIV+ gay guy, like Sullivan, who has previously extolled the joys of "barebacking" and "bear culture" is the one who's "deeply disturbed."

Just tell me it ain't true:

Posted by: MarkJ at November 18, 2009 06:53 PM

Every time some lefty "journalist" comes up with something as completely insane like this I am stunned by the fact that this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. And then Andrew Sullivan comes up with something even more insane. These things should only happen a few times in a lifetime. Lately, they have been happening a few times a week. What the heck is going on? Has an epidemic of mental illness taken hold?

Posted by: Brian at November 18, 2009 07:05 PM

My current theory is that someone got into the water supply.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 18, 2009 07:31 PM

Andrew Sullivan is shutting up?

Please, Sarah Palin, more books!

Posted by: malclave at November 18, 2009 07:33 PM

I can only think of one word. Well, it's not really a word as such: BWAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: Cousin Dave at November 18, 2009 08:50 PM

Sullivan vs. Palin, aye. Nothing like a good cat fight.

Posted by: Rustypelican at November 18, 2009 10:56 PM

What are the guidelines for an Oscar or Emmy in the category, "Best Drama Queen, Either Gender".

Ding Ding Ding --- I think we have a WINNER

Posted by: Terry Ott at November 18, 2009 11:07 PM

What are the guidelines for an Oscar or Emmy in the category, "Best Drama Queen, Either Gender"?

Oh, never mind ...

Ding Ding Ding --- I think we have a WINNER

Posted by: Terry Ott at November 18, 2009 11:08 PM

...just making sense of it - and comparing it with objective reality as we know it, and the subjective reality she has previously provided - is a bewildering task.

Does Sullivan know that objective reality doesn't depend on his subjective cognizance? He reminds me of Saddam going to the gallows, urging Iraq to be strong during his absence...

Posted by: BillT at November 19, 2009 12:15 AM

I am just now checking the reactions of other bloggers--I feel I'm in good company here.

As I said today, whoever is running the Atlantic continues to amaze me. How could anyone still call Andrew Sullivan a capable writer and a competent analyst of what’s going on in this country? Calm down, sir. About 31% of America likes Sarah Palin. Get over it. Nothing you write about her is going to change the minds of anyone who reads your ridiculous blog.

No one--and I mean no one--carries water like Andrew Sullivan, and I think he fancies himself the self-appointed protector of President Obama from the dreaded Palin onslaught.

Posted by: Norman Rogers at November 19, 2009 12:22 AM

No one--and I mean no one--carries water like Andrew Sullivan

Or retains it, either...

Posted by: BillT at November 19, 2009 12:49 AM

double digit inflation should be double digit unemployment...

Posted by: R.A. at November 19, 2009 01:02 AM

I used to read Sullivan but gave up on him long before Sarah Palin came on the scene. Sullivan developed a terminal case of Bush Derangement Syndrome, to the point where even Bush policy that (previously) was in concord, suddenly became evil incarnate. This Palin stuff is just more of the same. Just my opinion, but with so much else actually worth reading out there, why waste time on Sullivan? He has become - just my opinion - irrational.

Posted by: Don Pettengill at November 19, 2009 02:59 AM

Has Andrew Sullivan said anything relevant, in, oh, say, the past few months that didn't go on and on about his love of Obummer and his revulsion for all things conservative or Palin?

Nah, I didn't think so. This queen really needs to get over himself. If he ever wants to be taken seriously again, perhaps he should seek some mental health care counseling instead.

Or he could get over himself.

Posted by: emjem24 at November 19, 2009 03:03 AM

I wonder if guys like Sullivan realize that every time he insults a politician or a citizen that most of us instinctively believe the opposite because he has no credibility as being objective. On the contrary, if he hates someone, most of us gain respect for, increase in our deference to, and openly begin the root for the person that is the object of his wrath. Speaking for myself, the more they go after Sarah Palin, the more I want to protect her. The more his elite buddies go after her the more respect I have for her when she faces their criticism with class and bravery. I wonder if he has had thousands of citizens stand in line for eight hours to get his books signed. We have an advantage because they are so out of touch with mainstream Americans that I hope Palin runs for President, and I wouldn't mind seeing Michele Bachmann or Mitt Romney on the ticket either.

Posted by: Dave B at November 19, 2009 05:44 AM

double digit inflation should be double digit unemployment

Thanks so much! Fixed :)

Posted by: Cassandra at November 19, 2009 05:48 AM

Dear Asalamalaeku

How are you and how about your family members? Hope all is well with
them and also with you, Greeting from Mrs Khardijah Ibrahi, God bless you for
honouring my request,

I hope you are having a wonderful day and also I pray that you and
your family be under the protection of God almighty.after going through
your short profile and I deemed it necessary to write you immediately,

I know that my message will come to you as a surprise since I
dont know you in person or met with you before but I was touched to
air up my pains to you believing in you for assiting.

But let me explain myself to you before going further.I am mrs Khardijah Ibrahi from togo
I am34 years old, but I was with my husband in Abidjan Ivory
Coast before his death, I am suffering from a long time cancer of the
breast. By all indication my condition is really deteriorating, and my
doctors have courageously advised me that I may not live beyond the next
two months; this is because the cancer stage has reached a critical stage.

It maybe surprise to you that I was raised in a motherless baby's home
from togo but my late husband came visiting the home and have
interest in me,

I was married to my late husband for 13 years
without a child. My husband and I are true Muslim, but quite unfortunately,
he was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outing
to discuss on a business,after that know body cares about me except some pastors that is after problem both day and night

Since his death I decided not to re-marry,though my late husband made
a deposit with a Bank here in Abidjan capital city of Ivory Coast. Presently, this money
is still in their custody,the entire cash left after his burial has blown
like wind because of my illness and the management of the bank just wrote
me as the next of kin to come further for the money though I have been
there so many times before my illness but now that I can not continue going there

I have been asked to seek for someone who will act on my behalf or
rather issue a letter of authorization to somebody to receive it on my
behalf since I can not come over as a result of my illness, or they
will get the account been put as unclaimed money

But what complicated the whole issue is that my late husband left a
regid agreement that this money will be handle by a foreign investor under
my supervision, Presently, I'm with my laptop in a hospital where I have
been undergoing treatment.

I have since lost my ability to talk fluqently because of illness and
my doctors have told me that I have only a few months to live.It is my last
wish to see that this money is invested in any organization of your choice
and distributed each year among the charity organization, the poor and the
motherless babie's home where I was raised from since you are from outside
our country it will suit my late husband's agreement with the bank

I want a good humanitarian, to also use this money to
fundthe orphanagees and widows around the world just as I was cared
for when I know nothing in a motherless baby home.I must let you know that
this was a very hard decision,but I had to take a bold step towards this
issue, and I hope you will help me see my last wish come true.

I am willing to offer you 20% of the total sum as compensation for
your effort. As soon as I hear from you I will give you the contact
informations of the pastor you to be familiar with him as
he will guild you for the sucess of this transfer since he is here present
and because of my illness I will not be able to follow up things the way it
should so he will direct you more even if I die he will be here to carry
out my last wish with you.

Am waiting for your urgent reply From

Khardijah

Posted by: khardijahibra at November 19, 2009 05:52 AM

Andy's obsession with Trig's birth and Sarah Palin is very odd.

I put this out as speculation only that Sullivan is suffering from a contradiction of his sexuality and his attraction for Sarah Palin.

Gays often express derision to women who have several children and disparge by calling them breeders.

Sarah having 5 children fall into that category and her her choice to have a Down's child further inflames gays because she could have aborted a defective child.

Perhaps Andy is sexually attracted to a fecund woman that is exactly what his gay indoctrination indicates he should be repulsed.

So he fights against his attraction by attacking it.

Just a theorey, but "he protests too much" indicates a deep conflict in Andy.

Posted by: TAH at November 19, 2009 05:55 AM

Sullivan is a sick and twisted person. Shame on him. What a sick mind... I am disgusted.

Posted by: Winston at November 19, 2009 06:42 AM

As someone at Ace's said last summer, Andy is insanely jealous of Palin because she can do the one thing he can't: have Obama's children.

Posted by: Mr. Bingley at November 19, 2009 08:09 AM

The pathetic freak of nature and certified perv doesn't say anything about his insane rantings about her "divorce" or his other crimes against the journalistic ethos that used to prevail.

What a batsh*t freak!

Posted by: daveinboca at November 19, 2009 08:32 AM

Just think of the irony:

The three biggest "men" obsessed with Sarah Palin and calling her delusional are David Letterman, Keith Olbermann, and Andrew Sullivan.

Posted by: BamaMan at November 19, 2009 08:42 AM

----------------

I think that Andy is more jealous that Sarah can get a guy like Todd Palin and he can't.

Posted by: BamaMan at November 19, 2009 08:44 AM

Sullivan is a therapist's dream. His Freudian actions naturally began way before the failure of Prop 8 in Ca. which turned him into a section 8.

Time for the Atlantic to bring out the "GONG" and put an end to this "Gyno" Gong Show contestant.

Posted by: vet66 at November 19, 2009 10:34 AM

Posted by: vet66 at November 19, 2009 10:45 AM

The truth is that Sullivan was never particularly interesting or insightful. Neither was he ever a real conservative - more of a Libertarian/Libertine at best. When, after 9/11, he joined in support of the GWOT, some conservatives (particularly the short-pants brigade from NRO) were so thrilled to have a gay "conservative" with a British accent on their side because it was "cool," they were willing to overlook everything else.

As Sullivan proved from 2004 on, he was no conservative. And yet, akin the way people feel forced to slow down as they pass a car accident, conservatives continue to link him to this day as if he were relevant.

The man obviously has some very serious "issues" which may be more than mere psychological disturbances. We should have the Christian compassion to at least allow him to deteriorate in peace and stop calling attention to his ravings.

Posted by: Adjoran at November 19, 2009 02:47 PM

Isn't it syphillis that makes you go insane? I think Sully ought to get himself checked.

Posted by: Tony at November 20, 2009 04:15 PM

Wow - I'm so appreciative of political and economic commentary from someone who confuses INFLATION with UNEMPLOYMENT.

Which, as I recall from first-year economics - tend to be, generally, OPPOSITES.

Oops.

(Go ahead - call it a typo. It's a massive blunder that shows you don't know what you're talking about. Just say you can't stand Obama - that'd at least be honest, and credible.)

- "Blogs: never before in history have so many uninformed people, with so little to say, said so much, to so many other uninformed people."

Posted by: Sumgai at November 20, 2009 04:23 PM

Sumgai:

Try not to be an idiot, OK? I've written more on economics over the years than you probably know. Get a grip.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 20, 2009 05:50 PM

OK, since I have a bit of time right now, there is a one word refutation of your Econ 101 "inflation and unemployment are opposites".

It's call stagflation, and I remember it. Try Googling the Philips curve. Apparently you could use the education.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 20, 2009 07:09 PM

Let me say up front that I think Mrs. Palin is a very lovely woman. But she is confused about many things, for example, here she confuses Ira and Iran, and Mr. Hannity looks a little vexed by it:

Posted by: I Call BS at November 20, 2009 09:28 PM

Take Two (without typoP:

Let me say up front that I think Mrs. Palin is a very lovely woman. But she is confused about many things, for example, here she confuses Iraq and Iran, and Mr. Hannity looks a little vexed by it:

Posted by: I Call BS at November 20, 2009 09:29 PM

typos R us obviously ...

Posted by: I Call BS at November 20, 2009 09:33 PM

Yup, I remember "stagflation" -- the word had to be coined specifically to describe the state Jimmeh Cottuh stuck us in due to his soaring ego crashing against his abyssal ineptitude.

Posted by: BillT at November 21, 2009 05:26 AM

From a Shia point of view, Iraq is predominantly Shia while the minority Sunni runs roughshod over them and the Kurds in the north.

Most of the "state boundaries" in the middle east are constructs imposed on those countries by Britain, France, and various historic tribal considerations and the collapse of the Ottoman empire. Iraq loosely translated means "Country with deep roots." Iran as a name was coopted onto the Persians and is a cognate of the German "Aryan" which tells you all you need to know about Iranian Ahmadinejad.

You can't talk about one without talking about the other. Could Palin have referenced the Ottoman Empire? Maybe, but you can't talk about the one without talking about the ummah and the Mahgreb.

The unifying factor the Arabs understand is raw power and the fearless use of it. Ask yourself how many copies of Palin's book are being read in Arabian councils. Then ask yourself how they respond to the story about Palin killing and field dressing a moose. Then compare those considerations to the metro-sexual apologist BHO bowing before all comers and decide who they respect and fear more, the Palin's trigger finger or BHO's dithering.

Posted by: vet66 at November 21, 2009 01:03 PM

Is it true Sullivan did drag on Halloween as Sarah? Or was that just another failed dream of his?

Posted by: Bruce at November 24, 2009 12:48 PM

Sarah Palin's bus tour is really taking off.

See:

Posted by: Mike Licht at December 6, 2009 07:31 PM

Heheh. All one has to do is mention Palin in a public forum, ala Igor saying Blücher at the front door, and the most inane braying erupts...

Admittedly Palin has made mistakes. I can not lay claim to knowing a single human being who has not, other than some of the self-proclaimed UberMensa members one bumps into online. And one must indulge said UM's their spittle laced, denigrations and vulgarities, which they reflexively spew from their surprisingly limited and often profane repertoire of the same old, down in the heel, talking points.

Yup, you have to marvel at the vocabulary of the UberMensa crowd, eh what? Ah, but tis a small price we bitter-clinger, Neanderthal, flown-overs must pay in order to be ensmartened by our betters.

Yeah, Palin has made mistakes, particularly early on after her nomination to the #2 spot on the McCain ticket. But come on, can anyone make the case with a straight face that Palin's gaffs equal or exceed those of most of the currently serving pols? After reading much of the work produced on her since the '08 campaigns got underway, I doubt it. And I'd be willing to bet all 57 states in our Union on that wager.

BTW, what is a Sullivan?

*looks left, then right, lifts gnarled, dragged knuckles from ground, scratches... knits pronounced eyebrow ridge and howls*

PALIN!