« Marine Team Update | Main | No words »

November 05, 2009

Rest eternal grant to them, O Lord:
And let light perpetual shine upon them.

May their souls, and the souls of all the departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Posted by Cassandra at November 5, 2009 06:00 PM

Comments

Amen.

Posted by: spd rdr at November 5, 2009 06:10 PM

Amen.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at November 5, 2009 07:10 PM

My daughter and her husband have some very close friends stationed at Ft. Hood and have not been able to get in touch with all of them.

This is so sad and horrifying.

I think back to all the times I've been on a military installation and how safe I always felt.

Posted by: Donna B. at November 5, 2009 07:15 PM

Just after 9/11 we lived on a base that was sewed up so tight that we couldn't even get a newspaper delivered to our house.

My husband had just completed a tour in anti-terrorism. We were talking about the security and he said something that has always stayed with me. We usually think of terrorism in association with blown up buildings or car bombings. But he said that no matter how good your security is, we can never be entirely safe b/c the target terrorists are really aiming at is people.

And people are everywhere.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 5, 2009 07:51 PM

That's why 'the people who are everywhere' have to be the primary defense.

I was having a problem with your prayer earlier, because it invokes blessings on 'the souls of all the departed,' and I could readily think of one I wasn't quite ready to bless. Now it turns out he's alive, though, so we'll have a little while before we have to put our hearts in the right place.

That's a weakness of mine. I ought to forgive him at once; the good book says so, and I know it's right. I just can't always do it right away. I want to, though. It's a failing in me.

Posted by: Grim at November 5, 2009 10:28 PM

I've been thinking about that, too. I remember the day of the Virginia Tech shooting, listening to the news reports in the pre-dawn hours as I drove to work. I remember how relieved I felt when my tires rolled across that marker on the pavement between civilian and military property... I wonder if I'd feel that way if I were still working their today.

It's just awful.

Posted by: FbL at November 5, 2009 10:49 PM

I was living in Texas when I enlisted...

Posted by: camojack at November 6, 2009 12:36 AM

Requiescant omnes in pacem aeternam...

Posted by: BillT at November 6, 2009 04:54 AM

Grim, you are not the only one who cries for justice. However, I am very Old Testament in the imagery of the cries of the widows and the orphans being heard by the Almighty. The innocent blood that was shed being a witness to Him. Because I know beyond words that the Savior of mankind loves this man too, and will answer to Him. There is justice to satisfy, and mercy will not rob justice, since a debt has to be repaid partially in this life.

We must always pray for our enemies...not to win, but to understand and to be enlightened. It took me a long time to get to that point.

I can only tell you that we must so live our lives that we are not on the receiving end of His justice, but worthy of His grace and mercy.

It is all right for you to feel that way. Forgiveness is a process.

Posted by: Cricket at November 6, 2009 03:23 PM

I am so...angry at my leadership team for allowing this terrorist to continue on in service to a nation he so despised. He showed the signs but no one took action.

We gave him everything - opportunity, education, even authority and responsibility. And he repays us with this?

He got bad OERs. He was known to be a supporter of the jihadi and terrorism. And he was promoted and given MORE authority and responsibility. WTF? Where was the leadership? Why, once again, did no one act? Political Correctness?

I am not very high in the food chain in the big picture, but I do not tolerate PC in my unit. We are one team, one Army, serving one nation. If someone is offended in my unit, then I am offended that I did not train them better - to be able to deal with life without whining and crying because someone was mean to them or they were called a name. Suck. It. Up, Cupcake. Life is tough; it's tougher when you are a stupid crybaby.

I am sorry to have rambled on so. I am just mad that they system allowed this to come to fruition at the cost of so many lives.

The "major" terrorist jihadi needs to have a quick and speedy trial. No insanity defense, and the death sentence is not only in play, but is the only correct response. Martyr? Hell yes. I know literally hundreds who would gladly pull the trigger and send him to his 72 ugly woman reward.

Thanks for letting me vent Cassandra. I had 16 people at Hood. All are fine, although we had some tense moments.

CW4,

Det XO

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at November 6, 2009 07:47 PM

Don't apologize :)

I started to write about this, this morning and decided to just let it set for a while.

If I have learned anything over the years, it's that perspective only comes with time. I'm not there yet.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 6, 2009 08:23 PM

kbob in katy, you articulated this extremely well and voiced the thoughts I had. The ONLY reason I mentions forgiveness is because it is a process; it doesn't come overnight and it only comes with understanding. To victimize this person is wrong.

To justify his actions as being his only recourse is wrong and does a disservice to all that we have tried to build.

Your thoughts are appropriate and needed.

Posted by: Cricket at November 6, 2009 10:25 PM