« Obama, By the Numbers | Main | Butter Crowds Out Guns »

December 04, 2009

Heavage???

And the idiocy continues:

The latest resurrection of man cleavage does raise a not-so insignificant issue: to wax or not? For a number of years, any male chest hair was considered a fashion don't, but very recently a thin thatch has become quite acceptable. The low-cut look "is better if you have a little chest hair," says Tyler Thoreson, a New York-based men's style consultant. "It's not about showing off chest hair, it's about it peeking out a little bit."

Robert Caponi, a 32-year-old musician in Greensboro, N.C., isn't taking any chances. In order to get the hair-to-skin ratio just right, he shaves his chest every two weeks or so -- a regimen that helps him to feel comfortable in one of the six deep V-neck shirts he owns. Not all styles fit the bill. After purchasing a wide scoop neck recently, he declared it simply too revealing. "I looked in the mirror and I was disgusted," he says.

Because I know the Oink Cadre are just tingly with anticipation, wond'ring what the blog princess thinks about this important sartorial issue, please - for the love of God - do not shave or wax your chest.

Also, subtlety. One of my fondest memories involves mad teen daydreams brought about by the occasional glimpse of my then boyfriend, now husband's eminently perusable torso through the open collar of his shirt. But please - have some dignity. And leave something to the imagination.

Anticipation - and a bit of mystery - just makes it that much better when we finally get to unbutton the rest of those buttons.

Posted by Cassandra at December 4, 2009 08:18 AM

Comments

The only reason, and fair warning - this is TMI, that I ever contemplated shaving my body hair is because I got really tired of cleaning up. I'm a pretty hairy guy, more bear than man really. The shedding can get pretty annoying sometimes.

Posted by: Dan Irving at December 4, 2009 08:53 AM

Shaving or waxing because it pleases you or makes life easier is one thing, Dan. I think my point was, "Please don't do it on my account", because I like men the way they are, not looking like some boy model.

That's not intended to disparage guys who don't have chest hair either. I'm just saying I prefer a natural look.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 4, 2009 09:06 AM

TLB loves my gray chest hair. It matches my gray winter beard. Which matches my gray full head of hair. Which matches... uh.... we'll stop right there! Aw geez! :-o

The boys shaved their chests early in OIF to keep the lice off them. Now they are paying the price! Massive grow back. Heh!

I do believe if I had a hairy back I'd have to have that sucker waxed though. Just sumpthin' about sportin' all that Sasquatch stuff that I'd have to remove. Just personal preference. To each his own.

Posted by: JHD at December 4, 2009 09:50 AM

Well, again: I think anyone ought to be able to do whatever they want with their own body.

What I'm reacting to is the pressure (on both sides now, it seems) for both men and women to adopt some bizarre, unrealistic standard to please the opposite sex. It's bad enough that women already go through 6 kinds of hell to try and be attractive to men but when people start with the more extreme stuff: waxing their entire bodies and getting sliced up, I wonder if maybe that isn't jumping the shark a bit?

Posted by: Cassandra at December 4, 2009 09:54 AM

A nice pair of freshly shaved legs is a turn on for me. Armpits and legs and I'm good to go. Heh!

TLB really hates on her daughter 'cause Dink doesn't even have to wear makeup. She's just a natural one. Same for TLB but no matter what I say she doesn't believe me. You womyns! Always doing stuff to yourselves to impress other womyns!

Which brings us full circle to being naked with a beer in your hand. All that is required for undying love and gratification! Just don't tell me you're torturing yourself for me 'cause I don't need it. ruh-roh!

Posted by: JHD at December 4, 2009 11:33 AM

Ever since I saw the movie "Something About Mary" I have been afraid to shave anything below the neck. In the movie, Ben Stiller was trimming his fur below the belt when an errant breeze blew his hirsuteness out the window and onto the cake being carried two stories down on the pavement.

Although I am half swede I don't want to take the chance of spoiling someones wedding cake!

Posted by: vet66 at December 4, 2009 11:57 AM

Oh great. Just when I thought we might be reaching the end of seeing gals with blue bellies wandering around, now it will by shivering guys with open shirts in 15 degree (F) weather. Sheesh!

At least it will be easier to find the men with common sense. They will be the ones without chattering teeth and funny cuts on their chests.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at December 4, 2009 12:03 PM

Yet another fashion trend I will let pass me by. Seriously, man-cleavage? Pass.

Posted by: MikeD at December 4, 2009 12:10 PM

And here I was all sort of tingly, thinking that I would be able to call you all 'man sluts'.

*running away*

The world. It is a silly place.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 4, 2009 12:15 PM

Actually, now I kinda wanna do it. Then when a woman looks at (or *gasp* comments on) my man-cleavage, I can get all offended and huffy and say I dressed like that for myself, not to be objectified.

That would be funny.

Posted by: MikeD at December 4, 2009 12:33 PM

I believe my spouse has made remarks of that nature to me :p

Doesn't do any good though. I have a license.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 4, 2009 12:35 PM

I am still laughing at that article. Not what I expected from the WS Journal, but amusing nonetheless.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 4, 2009 12:36 PM

The absolute best part of the article is all the outraged - OUTRAGED I TELL YOU! - comments from men.

Welcome to my world, gentlemen. And to think that all it takes to ruin your day is a fully clothed photo of John Travolta! It just confirms what I've always thought: what's sauce for the goose definitely isn't sauce for the gander.

Priceless. Just priceless.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 4, 2009 12:44 PM

Isn't this what fashion trends are for? To amuse the rest of us?

Posted by: Cousin Dave at December 4, 2009 12:44 PM

Half the time I never even realize what's in style until it's so five minutes ago :p

That's why California rocks. You can buy clothes out there and 2 years later they're just coming into style on the East coast.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 4, 2009 01:03 PM

Doesn't do any good though. I have a license.

The lines my dad uses for this phenomenon are "It's sanctioned by church and state." and "It's a sacrament!" Not that my mom minds, as she's the one who thought it a valid thing to tell her thirteen year old son (me at the time) that his father had a cute butt.

To this day, her 'defense' is "but it's TRUE!"

Posted by: MikeD at December 4, 2009 04:39 PM

I'm not offended or outraged... just mildly astounded at what passes for "fashion". Mind you, as I mentioned before, I've never been 'fashionable' in the past, so I see no reason to start now.

Posted by: MikeD at December 4, 2009 04:43 PM

While reading up on Colonel Van Barfoot's tussle with HOA over flagpole in yard, Cirroc came across this list of fashionable folk.

*Cirroc shudders and clutches security pelt* Your world frightens and confuses me....

Posted by: Cirroc at December 4, 2009 04:50 PM

I didn't mean any of you, Mike :p

I meant the men over at the WSJ comments section. The comments were pretty funny.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 4, 2009 05:41 PM

Yikes! I am feeling so much better about myself now.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 4, 2009 05:41 PM

there is nothing wrong with a moderate v-neck or 3 top buttons unbuttoned. more than that was/is/will be inappropriate in public unless you are a ballet dancer or a construction guy :o) and leave that wonderful chest hair alone :o)

Posted by: olga at December 4, 2009 10:30 PM

Cassandra: "What I'm reacting to is the pressure (on both sides now, it seems) for both men and women to adopt some bizarre, unrealistic standard to please the opposite sex."

Cassandra, from your handle/name, I presume you're a woman. If you are a woman (or an observant man, as I am), then you surely know that very few women do the bizarre things they do to please men -- if women wanted to please men, they'd grow their hair long -- they do it as part of their competition with other women. Men are all-but irrelevant to the bizarre things women do.

Posted by: Ilíon at December 5, 2009 12:35 AM

For the TMI record, I do shave my chest, somewhat scant though the hair is. Partly because I don't like body hair (hair sticking out of a shirt-collar is gross), and partly because it's *painful* when someone is twirling her fingers back and forth through the unshaved hair.

Posted by: Ilíon at December 5, 2009 12:39 AM

I think anyone ought to be able to do whatever they want with their own body.

I can change *that* opinion with four words: "Michael Moore in a Speedo."

Five words. I can change *that* opinion with five words...

*koff*

Posted by: BillT at December 5, 2009 05:47 AM

Well since we're doing TMI, if you're shaving your chest regularly you might want to look into laser hair removal.

I'm not a big fan of going crazy with it, but several years ago I did it and have never been sorry. I'm lucky in that I don't have a whole lot of body hair but I've always hated having to shave under my arms and for some reason I've never understood guys always want women to wear thongs and bikinis that aren't much bigger than a postage stamp.

If it's the difference between being able to wear something I wouldn't choose for myself (but which makes the spouse happy) with confidence and spending half of the rest of my life shaving and dealing with razor stubble and the associated irritation (I have sensitive skin) I'll plunk down the money every time.

They even have home units now. They're not cheap but then neither are professional treatments.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 5, 2009 10:37 AM

if women wanted to please men, they'd grow their hair long

Well, you're wrong there. I love long hair but it doesn't look good on me. If I had my way, I'd have a short haircut. But my husband (like most men) likes longer hair so I grew it out to medium length.

Not every woman has long, straight hair. I had long hair when I was a teen and it's far easier to take care of. But a shorter cut is far more flattering on me and fwiw, my husband agrees. Left to myself, however, I'd have short hair.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 5, 2009 10:39 AM

I have seen some stuff on guys that inspired heavage...

Posted by: Cricket at December 5, 2009 09:30 PM

Cass, you should reread your comment on long hair:

"..if women wanted to please men, they'd grow their hair long."

...you're wrong.... If I had my way, I'd have a short haircut... but my husband (like most men) likes longer hair so I grew it out...

So, what you meant to say was, "You're right: most men like long hair. That's why I grew mine out, even though I think it would look better short." :)

Posted by: Grim at December 5, 2009 11:12 PM

Actually, didn't she say she wears it at a compromise medium length?

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at December 6, 2009 12:26 AM

God, Bill, now I need a brain bleach...

Posted by: olga at December 6, 2009 01:23 AM

...you might want to look into laser hair removal.

Gaaah! Never look into a laser!

Posted by: BillT at December 6, 2009 02:52 AM

Yes, you're right Grim. What I meant to say (though this is by no means clear) was, "You're wrong about women doing what they do to please each other".

Every woman I know tells me my hair looks better short. And it does. I look prettier - and feel - with short hair. Not because I like short hair, but simply b/c aesthetically it's more pleasing on me.

But I care very much about what my husband thinks so I do something that, left to myself, I wouldn't do.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 6, 2009 06:53 AM