« | Main | God Help This Poor Man »

December 19, 2009

Liveblogging the Snowstorm

5:15 a.m.: Coffee. Need coffee.

5:35 a.m.: Trusty snow shovels in hand, the Blog Princess heads outdoors to tackle the decks, stairs and driveway.

5:45 a.m.: I definitely to work out more.

6:18 a.m.: Side deck, front steps and outer third of driveway done. Heading inside to get more coffee.

6:23 a.m.: From the depths of the basement, an unearthly howl issues forth. Inexplicably, I find myself thinking of Walt Whitman:

I too am not a bit tamed—I too am untranslatable;

I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.

The last scud of day holds back for me;
It flings my likeness after the rest, and true as any, on the shadow’d wilds;
It coaxes me to the vapor and the dusk.

I depart as air—I shake my white locks at the runaway sun;
I effuse my flesh in eddies, and drift it in lacy jags.

I bequeathe myself to the dirt, to grow from the grass I love;
If you want me again, look for me under your boot-soles.

You will hardly know who I am, or what I mean;
But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fibre your blood

What in the hell is a scud??? I have no idea what any of this means, but it is deeply disturbing.

6:27 a.m.: Put dog's sweater on. Someone is in for a very big surprise...

6:28 a.m.: Few things in life rival the pathos of a miniature Weiner dog, ass deep in snow. I can see what he is thinking. He is thinking, "If you think I'm going to poop out here, you are out of your freaking mind. Put me back inside so I can poop under your dining room table like a civilized canine."

6:35 a.m.: Deposit dog in front entryway, head back outside to finish shoveling the driveway.

6:38 a.m.: Piteous howls are emanating from somewhere inside the house. I trudge back inside to find the dog sitting in the hall. Invisible oooooooooooooooo's are floating out of his mouth like bubbles. Back outside to try the morning bathroom run again.

6:42 a.m.: After several minutes of me ignoring his furious barks, he gives in and accomplishes the mission.

7:15 a.m.: 7 inches of snow. I am thinking the 9 am facial across town is a no-go.

8:15 a.m.: Still coming down harder than ever. I blame Bill Kristol.
9:52 a.m. My dog hates me. Getting ready to settle down by the fire with a glass of Cabernet and Perfect Valour.

3:26 p.m. 3 shoveling sessions later, 15 inches of snow.

Oh look! Tim Kaine sent me a holiday greeting! And look who sent me my very own personalized Christmas card!

card.jpg

I feel special.

Ooh. Look at the "o" in my man Barack's signature. That's profound. Deep, even:

The “O” of Obama, bisected by the line of the “b”, has the look of the Ancient Greek letter Phi, which is also used as a symbol for the mathematical golden ratio – a crucial concept in art and architecture.

On the other hand, I may have been out in the snow too long.

9:26 p.m. Note to self: 3 1/2 heels are *not* traction-enhancing in 5 inches of snow.

The next time you feel the urge to re-enact your glory days stumbling home 4.5 sheets to the wind through massive snowdrifts, go for the mountain boots.

Posted by Cassandra at December 19, 2009 08:14 AM

Comments

Cassandra, just had to drop by and let you know that this was the funniest non-snarky blog post I've read in a while. I had a good laugh, so thanks for that.

Posted by: Nate Nelson at December 19, 2009 09:23 AM

It's nice when you don't have to go anywhere in that kind of weather....

I remember once time, as a kid, when we were in Germany. We were going somewhere one winter, and had Shorty, our weiner dog at the time (he'd been my dad's 1st anniversary gift to my mom). Maybe we were headed to our sled hill?? Anyhow, we stop at some little rest stop along the way. The snow lay even and untouched next to the car. I put the dog's leash on and open the passenger side back door. Shorty jumps down and promptly disappears into that snow - couldn't tell that the cound wasn't flat underneath all that snow ;-) Good thing he had a leash on! Stay warm! I'm glad I don't have any weather issues here today - I went to print my Christmas letters and address labels last night only to be informed by my computer that the printer was out of black ink, and we have no spare cartridge. Since it was after 10 o'clock and I'd already taken out my contacts, I decided it could wait. That just means I have to take care of that this morning. Good thing I didn't sleep the day away!

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at December 19, 2009 09:28 AM

Facials? Sounds lovely. Do stay warm and Walt Whitman was talking about recycling.

Is Sausage over his ordeal?

Are you?

Posted by: Cricket at December 19, 2009 09:57 AM

Sausage is sacked out in front of a roaring fire.

I am 10 minutes into Perfect Valour and there are tears streaming down my face. Amazing movie.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 19, 2009 11:11 AM

"I am 10 minutes into Perfect Valour and there are tears streaming down my face."
Same here... But I was watching the national news.

Posted by: bthun at December 19, 2009 11:23 AM

I started shoveling my parking spot at 8am, it was like 12" of snow in 8 hours since I parked... 2 hours later, the snow is back, with a vengeance... Here goes a car inspection appointment and a bank run... sigh...
Hun, I hear you, the latest Dems' announcement killed my day...

Posted by: olga at December 19, 2009 12:12 PM

Yeah....most everything is a no-go today.
Except for the random and (at least at this moment) hilarious quotes from "The Shining"....

"Danny isn't here, Mrs. Torrance."

Posted by: Carrie at December 19, 2009 12:43 PM

"Same here... But I was watching the national news."

Sad, but true. I want the Congresscritters to pass a political malpractice act, making it a felony to exhibit the kind of stupidity we are seeing today. Pelosi would be toast.

Hey, did I mention it is beautiful and balmy here today? No snow? I'm thinking of turning on the AC? My dog just pooped on the leftist neighbor's lawn?

Posted by: Mark McGilvray at December 19, 2009 01:05 PM

75 degrees and clear skies here... :)

THanks for the funny post!

Posted by: FbL at December 19, 2009 01:10 PM

Scud

a. Wind-driven clouds, mist, or rain.
b. A gust of wind.
c. Ragged low clouds, moving rapidly beneath another cloud layer.

Posted by: vanderleun at December 19, 2009 02:29 PM

Waiting for the snow in New Hampshire. After which I intend to wait for the plows.

Posted by: vanderleun at December 19, 2009 02:32 PM

Just call me "Hopelessly jealous in Paradise". *sigh*

Posted by: HomefrontSix at December 19, 2009 02:47 PM

The snow, eventually, will be plowed, removed, melt.

The 'snow job' DC will bury us beyond winter.

Posted by: Sadie at December 19, 2009 02:56 PM

Talk about deeply disturbing. I lit off your electronic holiday greeting card from the Gov and Φ... Now I'm a bit concerned at the prospect of falling asleep.

Posted by: bthun at December 19, 2009 07:41 PM

Why, oh why, must he write left-handed? And make his 0 look like an acorn?

Posted by: Cricket at December 19, 2009 08:11 PM

Six hours behind the trigger of my Stihl bucking three trailer loads of firewood whilst the two eldest nephew CLU's fed the beast for the VES, her Papa and Uncle to stack. Come Weekend Wookietime, two cords of wood filled the shed.
Now the carne chicken tenderloins are in the rotisserrie basket and the beer is going down *nicely*.
We're ready for some football.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at December 19, 2009 08:56 PM

So funny! Your dog is adorable in your earlier photos...Here in Connecticut it started in earnest about an hour ago. Our shepherd-huskie mutt is barking to go out AGAIN (hates rain, loves snow). We will build her an igloo doghouse tomorrow if we get enough snow.

The big question is whether the kids' pageant tomorrow will be on. Church is half an hour away on atrocious backcountry roads. My kids are way past that, but I'll shovel out the SUV if it's on (kids from my first and second grade Sunday School class).

Posted by: retriever at December 19, 2009 08:57 PM

After which I intend to wait for the plows.

Oh fine. *Now* he tells me...

I see how you are. Oh, yes. I see :p

Posted by: Cassandra at December 19, 2009 09:31 PM

Snow is so beautiful to look at...from California. Where I will need a sweatshirt to fight the chill of a low tonight of 44 degrees.

My last year in Omaha saw my driveway get covered under a six-foot snow drift. I had to send my wife out to start shoveling in order to get the neighbors to crank up the snow blowers and come help. If I had went out they would have sat by the window drinking a beer and laughing at me for being dumb enough not to by a one for myself.

Posted by: Russ at December 20, 2009 12:24 AM

I thought the snowplows always came by right after you cleaned the drive, so they could leave a foot of ice that would take the bottom out of your car.

Posted by: Russ at December 20, 2009 12:26 AM

That should have been "buy one" instead of "by a one."

Posted by: Russ at December 20, 2009 12:29 AM

What in the hell is a scud???

A surface-to-surface rocket.

Stay in the bunker until the last one of the day hits. That's what *we're* supposed to do, anyway...

Posted by: BillT at December 20, 2009 02:09 AM

Well, I read the analysis of Obama's signature. When I see it, my eyes gravitate to B O, which may not be commentary on his personal hygiene, but certainly describes his policies, in my view.

I see vanity and "Ain't I sumthin???" oozing out of every stroke of the pen. I don't see a visionary, nor humility. I see "Kneel before Zod!"

But if the feller who analyzed it saw all those purty thangs in it, ah guess that's ok too.

Posted by: MathMom at December 20, 2009 12:44 PM

I want MY Christmas card from the Prez.

Posted by: I Call BS at December 20, 2009 05:39 PM

Oooohhh...a shadow play of BHO's signature! Well, the B looks like a fortune cookie. I think the 'bama' is supposed to suggest a spine, but that just may be the paper tiger.

Posted by: Cricket at December 20, 2009 08:35 PM

I'm not a president, nor do I play one on TV, but here's a Christmas Card to the cadre of Villains here and abroad, past and present.

Posted by: bt_yo-ho-ho_hun at December 20, 2009 08:46 PM

Something else it's used for in mathematics -- the symbol for "zero", so it's not mistaken for an "O"...

Posted by: BillT at December 21, 2009 12:21 AM

Watch those left-handed cracks there, Cricket.

(This message typed with a pronounced left-handed bias)

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at December 21, 2009 11:51 AM

(This message typed with a pronounced left-handed bias)

I always suspected that there was something vaguely sinister about John.

Posted by: MikeD at December 21, 2009 02:31 PM

I always suspected that there was something vaguely sinister about John.

I love you guys :)

Posted by: Cassandra at December 21, 2009 06:24 PM

Sorry guys. Just getting around to reading the comments. And I now realize that Russ is Evil :)

Oh, bthun. I love the card. Thank you.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 21, 2009 06:28 PM

I am lefty as well...as is Cassandra, George H. Bush and a few others.

*flounces petticoat*

Posted by: Cricket at December 22, 2009 09:55 AM

Don't the Germans call zero 'null?'

A dextrous rejoinder, Russ.

Posted by: Cricket at December 22, 2009 09:56 AM

*flounces petticoat*

Kate! You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

;)

I love that movie.

Posted by: MikeD at December 22, 2009 09:58 AM

I've always heard the adage that left-handed people are the only ones in their right mind. I've seriously questioned it, though, given the fact that my brother and sister are both left-handed and *right mind* is something I wouldn't strictly attribute to either one of them. And, now, after seeing another *sampling* amongst the assorted villanry here, I'm really wondering about that adage.
*snnnicker*