« I Firmly Believe | Main | The Middle Game »

December 01, 2009

My Plans for the Evening

I plan to drink every time he blames Teh Shrub or mentions the word "exit". Do you think there's any chance I'll be proven wrong?

God, I hope so. I've never wanted to be wrong so badly.

Update: OK, so I've heard the speech and my initial reaction is that his choice of words was lawyerly rather than statesmanlike. Most interesting line:

Let me be clear: there has never been an option before me that called for troop deployments before 2010, so there has been no delay or denial of resources necessary for the conduct of the war.

So far we've heard Obama compared to Lincoln, FDR, Reagan, Nixon, JFK.

That line, however, was downright Clintonian:

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the—if he—if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement".

Meanwhile, somewhere in a parallel universe where the words "before me", "delay" and "necessary" are the subject of endless debate, Andrew Sullivan is having multiple orgasms. At least someone is happy having sex tonight.

REAX from the ISAF Commander:

ISAF Commander's Statement Regarding U.S. President's Announcement

KABUL, Afghanistan (Dec. 2) - The statement of General Stanley
McChrystal, Commander NATO International Security Assistance Force and U.S. Forces Afghanistan regarding the address by The President of the United States:

"The Afghanistan-Pakistan review led by the President has provided me
with a clear military mission and the resources to accomplish our task. The clarity, commitment and resolve outlined in the President's address are critical steps toward bringing security to Afghanistan and eliminating terrorist safe havens that threaten regional and global security.

"The NATO International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) objective is equally clear: We will work toward improved security for Afghanistan and the transfer of responsibility to Afghan security forces as rapidly as conditions allow. In the meantime, our Afghan partners need the support of Coalition forces while we grow and develop the capacity of the Afghan army and police. That will be the main focus of our campaign in the months ahead.

"The 42 other nations of the Coalition will benefit from a strengthened U.S. commitment, as success in Afghanistan must be an international, integrated civil-military effort - from our security and training capacity to the governance and economic development assistance that sustains long-term stability. The concerted commitment of the international community will prevail in bringing real change to Afghanistan -- a secure and stable environment that allows for effective governance, improved economic opportunity and the freedom of every Afghan to choose how they live.

"We face many challenges in Afghanistan, but our efforts are sustained by one unassailable reality: neither the Afghan people nor the international community want Afghanistan to remain a sanctuary for error and violence. The coalition is encouraged by President Obama's commitment and we remain resolute to empowering the Afghan people to reject the insurgency and build their own future."

I realize that I've been scarce lately, and I apologize for the lame blogging. I'll have more to say about all this in the morning. Lot going on right now.

Posted by Cassandra at December 1, 2009 07:58 PM

Comments

I cannot even fathom how drunk you are.

Posted by: wifeunit at December 1, 2009 08:48 PM

*Hic!* :)

Posted by: Cassandra at December 1, 2009 08:54 PM

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty...at least until June 2011, or if it gets too expensive because you know we got us a recession goin' on and sh!+, and wars are way expensive and we got us serious unemployment, so we might hafta take that money being wasted on keeping "terrorists" away, and use it to pay more unemployment payments. But we still gotta nuke medicine in this country to the tune of a trillion dollars, because the time is just, I dunno, right for that.

Well, that's what I heard, anyway. YMMV.

Posted by: MathMom at December 1, 2009 09:24 PM

Yeah, I'd say that all that soaring rhetoric was pretty thickly hedged about with caveats :p

Posted by: Cassandra at December 1, 2009 09:26 PM

ROTFL You really are brave! I once played a drinking game called "Hi Bob" during the Bob Newhart show - with a VCR tape full of episodes. You can only imagine the carnage. Take some aspirin before bed Cassandra. It helps.

Posted by: Phil at December 1, 2009 10:08 PM

why is the room spinning? why is the wild turkey bottle empty? I think I will sleep on floor - its not so far to fall....

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at December 1, 2009 10:36 PM

Victory? Was victory in any measure ever mentioned?

And on a lighter note, it was brave of President Obama to make this speech in the "enemy camp", as Chris Matthews said. A place where Paul Wolfowitz used to "rabble rouse".
What a sorry excuse for a human being.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at December 1, 2009 10:58 PM

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at December 1, 2009 11:01 PM

I accidentally caught a snippet of his speech; as usual, his words sound reassuring, but as we know from experience: talk is cheap. Life has made me a cynic/skeptic, but this President has done nothing but reinforce that, thus far. I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but that's becoming increasingly difficult.

BTW, interesting drinking game you've concocted, though... ;-)

Posted by: camojack at December 2, 2009 01:18 AM

In the interest of my sanity, I declined to watch the latest installment of "It's all about me"..
I did, however, get a drunk dial from a friend who apparently also decided to play the shot game..

Posted by: Carrie at December 2, 2009 09:00 AM

Posted by: Boquisucio at December 2, 2009 09:06 AM

Surrender Monkey

Posted by: Boquisucio at December 2, 2009 09:07 AM

Cassndra (now that your head is swimming from all the wine), I would rather read the same post from you eighty times (I do have my limits, yanno) than to go to an actual source like the NYT. I can't resist the fisking you give Pronouncements by Teh One. Especially when he is using TOTUS. And if you post only once or twice a week, I would hardly call that 'lame blogging.'

Posted by: Cricket at December 2, 2009 09:36 AM