« Fact Checking The Futurist | Main | A Few Good Essays on Conservatism »

January 12, 2010

Always Leave 'Em Laughing...

... or something:

May God grant me the wisdom to be as loving, patient, and understanding as the person in this email.

When I was a kid, my mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work. On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that biscuit and eat every bite!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said: "Honey, I love burned biscuits."

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a little burnt biscuit never hurt anyone!"

Life is full of imperfect things.....and imperfect people. I'm not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each others faults - and choosing to celebrate each others differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship. We could extend this to any relationship. In fact, understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or friendship!

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - keep it in your own."

So, please pass me a biscuit, and yes, the burnt one will do just fine.

I used to be such a patient person. As I've gotten older, I find my patience sadly frayed around the edges. I need to try harder.

Thanks to DL Sly for sending this.

Posted by Cassandra at January 12, 2010 01:03 PM

Comments

I think one of the most interesting *side notes* for me wrt this was that the night before, the VES had burnt my toast for dinner. MH, upon seeing it on my plate asked me, rather incredulously, "You like your toast that dark?"
"Yep." says I.

Life's little ko-inky-dinks, eh?

Posted by: DL Sly at January 12, 2010 02:35 PM

How utterly true. Happiness really can't be obtained, unless one has it already :-)
Thanks for the perspective reminder!

Posted by: Barb at January 12, 2010 03:10 PM

*Tipping nonexistent hat to Sly*

Posted by: Cassandra at January 12, 2010 05:08 PM

I think the story is great! It serves as an object lesson for one thing I tell my wife, daughter and all my little soldiers and soldierettes: Keep it in perspective.

If someone is trying to do something for you and it is not up to your standards, how hard is it to recognize that what they have done for you might just be the best they can do. Maybe it's not, but they tried.

Be grateful that you are so much better, but thankful that they care enough to try to help you. And never forget to tell them "Thank You." It might make their day.

And that is kbob's philosophy wrt to people doing things for me.

Hang tough Mrs. Marine. The time is passing and the LtCol will be back with you.

PS - That "absence makes the heart grow fonder" bit is crap. I think they meant "absinthe!!!"

Posted by: kbob in katy at January 12, 2010 07:28 PM

Love this story! Hope that he will be home soon, and you will be happily distracted enough that lots of biscuits burn unnoticed.

Also, even if he weren't away, winter gloom can suck the brains and heart out of one like those brain eating bug aliens in Starship Troopers (sic?).

If what you've been writing lately is the product of a "distracted" mind, watch out world when you are focussed!

Thanks for these great posts lately! :)

Posted by: retriever at January 12, 2010 11:03 PM

Patience, my ass, I need to kill something.

Posted by: Heltau at January 12, 2010 11:52 PM

I'm stealing that line.

Love it. Sly, you're awesome. So are you Cass.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at January 13, 2010 12:29 AM

Sly, you're awesome. So are you Cass.

I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you guys. You're the best :)

Posted by: Cassandra at January 13, 2010 02:02 AM

Heh. At the Castle, it's carbonized steak from the grill.

SWWBO always frets about that.

I always tell her, truthfully, I don't mind a little carbon char on my steak.

Of course, some of that is self-preservation, because if I were to react negatively with sufficient sincerity, I'd be getting tartare, which is *not* something I care for...

Posted by: John (Master of Inanity) Donovan at January 13, 2010 12:31 PM

Heh, I once explained to MH just exactly what constitutes *steak tartare*......needless to say, he grimaces mightily everytime that Allstate tailgating commercial comes on now. MH likes his steak rare, but not mooing.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 13, 2010 02:43 PM

My Granddad, who liked his beef rare, used to have a saying:

"Walk the cow gently by the fire, and I'll eat it." :p

Posted by: Cassandra at January 13, 2010 03:44 PM

I have a friend in Oklahoma who basically likes hers "The Cowboy Way":

Waiter: How would you like your steaks cooked?
Pepper: Oh, just knock its horns off, wipe its nasty ass, and chunk it right here on this plate.

Posted by: DL Sly at January 13, 2010 04:06 PM

Happiness is a steak that's a bit crusty on the outside and hot pink on the inside. Yowsa!

Drag that steer through the coals at a walk...

Posted by: bt_happy-as-a_Hun-can-be at January 13, 2010 04:12 PM

.... a bit crusty on the outside and hot pink on the inside.

Must.
Resist.
Temptation.....
MUST.
Resist.
Temp...tation.

Posted by: DL Sly at January 13, 2010 04:55 PM

Yanno, right after I hit the Post pushbutton, my outsourced Costa Rican proof-reader called me to point out the same potential for mischief screaming from within the ambiguity of my comment.

Ah well, such is my lot in life. Always the straight man in the comedy routine. =;^}

Posted by: bt_channeling-Tommy Smothers_hun at January 13, 2010 05:19 PM

I used to be an impatient person, but I've discovered that as my life goes on, I become more patient. Things that used to bother me don't really any more. I tolerate behavior in other people's children that I never would have tolerated in my own.

Posted by: Tony at January 14, 2010 10:42 AM

We still occasionally burn the biscuits. But I just use the phrase my granddad said, "Mmmm, toasted biscuits, my favorite."

Posted by: MAJ Arkay at January 15, 2010 01:17 PM