« Defining Conservatism | Main | If Only America Were More Like Costa Rica!!! »

January 07, 2010

Dept. of Unnoticed Mooses

Untutored Folk might be tempted to call this young lady a Moose. However, I happen to know that she is a Siberian Maral.

Maral.jpg

But then you knew that, didn't you?

Update: Oh, sure... fine. Upstage me with anteaters.

Posted by Cassandra at January 7, 2010 03:05 PM

Comments

Hmmm. Looks like an overgrown East Siberian Hairless Marmoset to me.

Posted by: spd rdr at January 7, 2010 03:30 PM

That looked like a moose nose to me.

Posted by: Tony at January 7, 2010 03:30 PM

The better question is whether Sarah Palin would shoot it from a helicopter with one of them evil black rifles.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at January 7, 2010 03:44 PM

If you give a moose a muffin,
She'll want some jam to go with it.

That's how I tell.

Posted by: tomg51 at January 7, 2010 04:05 PM

marals are smaller than moose (mooses??)

Posted by: olga at January 7, 2010 04:18 PM

You're doing better than me if you can tell it's a "young lady" from that picture. I can tell a female from among dogs and horses from the face, but we don't have many moose down Georgia way.

Posted by: Grim at January 7, 2010 05:12 PM

It was her eyelashes, Grim.

Though I've heard they only doll themselves up for other lady moose :p

mr rdr, where do you find this stuff? :)

Posted by: Cassandra at January 7, 2010 05:24 PM

Ah, a Ruskie Wapiti.

The scientific analysis of hairless marmoset's with intrinsic anti-freeze capabilities was danged exhausting.

*Closes eyes, allows appetite to chart imagination's course*

Mmmmmmm, A 2 or 3 lb. Wapiti roast, wrapped in pepper bacon, with a cinnamon, cloves, dry mustard and brown sugar rub all over it. Snug it into a FOODSAVER® bag and pull on that vacuum seal.

Marinate that bad boy in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

After a couple of days, stick it in a covered roaster. Add a couple of cups of water and a half a cup of dry white wine. Bake it at, oh maybe 350┬░, for a couple of hours, give or take, depending on weight.

After removing the roast, add a couple of tablespoons of flour to the gravy and a cup of milk. Whip it. Whip it good. Add flour as necessary to thicken to desired thickness.

Serve with favorite libation.

Oh my, oh my... Thank goodness I've some venison in the freezer. I think I'll start observing the preparation of a venison roast. I have a theory that it will be right tasty after it is prepared.

Posted by: Larry at January 7, 2010 05:43 PM

Actually, she reminds me of a couple of the young lovelies my lads were plying with alcoholic beverages when we were in port at St. Johns, Newfoundland. Except it looks like the maral pracitces better grooming and is slightly more photgenic.

Chances are though that she could not out drink those Newfie lassies....

Gracias a Dios, I was married & faithful ....plus I was the det OIC, so I just had to watch them have fun...but not too much fun!

Posted by: kbob in katy at January 7, 2010 07:57 PM

Da, Comrade Casanova! Is beauty of Rodina for all seeings! Is bringing tear to Oleg's eye. Is like your american mountains of purple majestic and wavy amber grains, but without filthy capitalist oppressors of proletariat in picture to ruin it.

Must give vanguard of Revolution props to General Secretary Obama for WOC (is standing for war on capitalism), though. Soon class enemies will be paying for crimes against workers and peasants when Bolshevik Party finishes healthcare laws. In Worker's Paradise, we too had free healthcare -- and free bread, free clothes, free toilet paper. Was like dream come true! Perfect Marxist equality!

Is one last question. Where did you find picture of Soviet Mooses in North Sverdlovsk summertime? Judging by groundsnow beings less than 10 meters, Oleg estimates was photo takings in mid-July. Is correct? Is prize winnings for trick photo discoverings? Extra beet slice ration can be sendings to Kommissar Oleg, 555 N. Komsolyets Blvd., North Sverdlovsk. If you get to Felix Dzerzhinsky Memorial political prisoner beating cells, you've gone too far.

-- Comrade Oleg

Posted by: a former european at January 7, 2010 08:56 PM

"Actually, she reminds me of a couple of the young lovelies my lads were plying with alcoholic beverages when we were in port at St. Johns, Newfoundland."
Kbob, are you sure that you're not thinking of the young ladies around Constantinople circa 1974? Now that you've prodded the old memory, I do see striking similarities.

Posted by: bthun at January 7, 2010 09:00 PM

"But then you knew that, didn't you?"

Nope. What's more, I...always enjoy being edified. ;-)

Posted by: camojack at January 8, 2010 12:35 AM

Untutored Folk might be tempted to call this young lady a Moose.

Not I. She's obviously a Rotarian.

Posted by: BillT at January 8, 2010 06:57 AM

The liberal media is stuck in a paradox over ClimateGate. They have run story after story year after year that manmade climate change is the indisputed gospel truth. For them to come out and even suggest that there is some doubt about it is damaging to their supposed journalistic integrity.

Posted by: omega 3 at January 8, 2010 07:11 AM

When referring to the Lib Media, neither "journalistic" nor "integrity" apply...

Posted by: BillT at January 8, 2010 10:37 AM

If you want to watch an AGW cultist's head explode, ask him to cite the scientific study which proves that an increase in atmospheric Cee-Owe-Two leads to an increase in atmospheric temperature.

Don't let him bluster. Ask him to cite the study.

Cuz there's never been one.

Ever.

Posted by: BillT at January 8, 2010 10:43 AM

In light of last night's, um, OK, not massacre but close enough . . .
A UT alum and an Aggie were out hunting near the Big Bend in Texas. They had agreed to each work around the flanks of a large hill, and were out of each other's sight. After about fifteen minutes, the Longhorn hears "Blam! Blam blam blam!" Then silence. He backtracks around towards where the Aggie had gone. "DId you find something?" the Longhorn asked.
"Yeah, I got a moose!"
The Longhorn scratches his head and ventures, "It can't be a moose. They don't come this far south."
"It was a moose, I tell you."
"What makes you think it's a moose?"
The Aggie looks at the Longhorn as if the UT grad has rocks in his head and explained slowly, "Because it went 'mooo'."

[Ducks for cover and runs like the furies are behind her]

Posted by: LittleRed1 at January 8, 2010 11:50 AM

A UT alum and an Aggie were out hunting near the Big Bend in Texas. They had agreed to each work around the flanks of a large hill, and were out of each other's sight. The Aggie's eye was caught by some movement on the other side of the hill, and "Blam! Blam blam blam!" Then silence. The Aggie rushed over and saw, to his dismay, that he'd shot the UT alum.

He shouldered the Longhorn and walked five miles to their pickup truck, then drove twenty miles to the nearest hospital. The Aggie carried him into the emergency room, where the doctor took one look and shook his head.

"He's dead."

"Doc, I carried him five miles, then drove over twenty miles of bad road to get here. Tell me -- I've gotta know -- did he even have a chance of surviving?"

The doctor looked up sadly and said, "Well, the bullet only grazed his skull and knocked him unconscious, so he might've lived if you hadn't dressed him out..."

Posted by: BillT at January 8, 2010 01:10 PM

"In light of last night's, um, OK, not massacre but close enough..."
Most of the 1st and all of the 3rd quarter were all UT. Too bad for UT that the 2nd and 4th were not.

Even so, the game was an admirable effort on the part of all. Especially with the young UT fellow having to step up behind center early on. A good game and none should be less than proud of their efforts, regardless.

Now, after reading that tale of game recognition, I'm off to count the noses in the pasture and check on the heaters in the water buckets. 20┬░ and a good 1"+ of solidified water everywhere.

D@^^^3d Gorebull Warming...

Posted by: bthun at January 8, 2010 02:23 PM

I bailed at halftime :p

Posted by: Cassandra at January 8, 2010 02:30 PM

Call me a sadist, but I watched the whole game. It's one of those "what if" games. What if Colt hadn't gotten hurt 5 plays in, having to sit out the rest of the game. Gilbert took a little bit to gain his footing (not sure if he ever took a snap prior, in a college game), but by then, the damage was already done... I'm just saddened that is how Colt ends his college career. He seems like a geniunely good kid. Look forward to seeing how Gilbert does next season, though.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at January 9, 2010 01:27 AM