« The Womanliness Project: Nature versus Virtue | Main | Word To Your Motha »

January 26, 2010

Media Matters Out-Beclown Selves

Usually the Editorial Staff decline to take notice of Media Matters, but this is just too delicious to pass up:

Today, the FBI arrested James O'Keefe, the conservative activist who posed as a pimp and filmed the undercover videos that led Congress to defund ACORN. O'Keefe is accused of participating in a conspiracy to wiretap the New Orleans office of Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA)...

We'll be the first to admit that we haven't done much research on this story, but it doesn't look good. No matter how tempting it may be to expose corrupt public servants, if you get caught breaking the law odds are you're doing it wrong. But O'Keefe is the least of our worries right now.

For Lo! The intrepid souls at Media Matters have dug up a deed so heinous, so shocking, so ... foul that Mr. O'Keefe's misdeeds pale by comparison:

...As Dave Weigel notes, "O'Keefe had become a conservative media star since the ACORN sting." Rep. Pete Olson (R-TX) even introduced a resolution praising O'Keefe and his partner, would-be prostitute Hannah Giles, for "their diligent investigative journalism." In a statement announcing the resolution, Olson said, "Hannah and James should be applauded for their efforts to root out corruption and abuse of federal tax dollars." He also claimed O'Keefe was "setting an example for concerned citizens across America."

Yessiree, there's no wriggling out of this one.

Back in October, nearly 4 months before James O'Keefe was caught allegedly conspiring to tap Mary Landrieu's phone, Republican Congresscritters failed to look into the future and censure James O'Keefe for an act he had not even committed yet!

Oh. And Hannah Giles dressed up like a prostitute. Which as we all know, is virtually the same as selling or paying for sex, except for the lack of sex. And the lack of money changing hands. And the fact that no crime was committed.

Still, aside from those three things, the costume thing is damning. Prostitutes wear kinky costumes sometimes, you know. And prostitution, as we all know, is against the law in this country. Unless, of course, you happen to be a Democrat serving in Congress (in which case it's still a crime none of your business you narrow-minded bigot, you):

While the House could censure Frank or reprimand him, colleagues and constituents so far have been generally sympathetic. The scandal does not involve seducing a minor, as it does with Lukens, or adultery, since Frank is single. It is an incident from a past secret life that has come back to haunt a legislator who is widely respected. Frank can debate and speak extemporaneously better than almost anyone else in the House, and he tackles some of its more complex problems like immigration and housing. Back home, he makes sure constituents get help from 18 staffers who track down Social Security checks and Medicaid benefits. Though he freely disclosed in 1987 that he was a homosexual, his district, which encompasses the liberal campuses of Boston and nearby blue-collar mill towns, re-elected him overwhelmingly in 1988 with 70% of the vote.

I really don't see how the Republican Party can recover from this devastating lack of clairvoyance. I think we can all just forget about those ACORN videos now.

Posted by Cassandra at January 26, 2010 09:37 PM

Comments

I can't begrudge the Dems their moment of indignant smuggery. They've had a pretty tough year, afterall, and it's only going to get worse. Besides, there's no comedy quite like a Democrat scolding the country in high dudgeon with his pants on the ground.

Posted by: spd rdr at January 26, 2010 11:05 PM

Media Matters Out-Beclown Selves

Interesting turn of phrase, that. I like it!

Posted by: camojack at January 27, 2010 03:38 AM

"... you get caught breaking the law odds are you're doing it wrong."

That's true; I strongly recommend not getting caught.

Posted by: Grim at January 27, 2010 07:52 AM

Frank can debate and speak extemporaneously better than almost anyone else in the House...

No, Frank can merely express simulated high dudgeon and sputtering outrage better than almost anyone else in the House. Frank couldn't extemporaneously *debate* his way out of wet flash paper...

Posted by: BillT at January 27, 2010 08:43 AM

That's true; I strongly recommend not getting caught.

*snort*

Posted by: Cassandra at January 27, 2010 08:53 AM

Could not have said it better, spd :p

Posted by: Neil Young at January 27, 2010 09:26 AM

I can't deny that O'Keefe screwed up. How can he have thought it was going to be OK to bug a Senator's phone? (But aren't we all kind of wishing we'd had a chance to hear some tapes of phone calls before he got arrested?)

I loved the "would be" prostitute locution. Is this just a case of a vague and ignorant writer who doesn't know the difference between a disguise and an ambition, or was it malicious?

Posted by: Texan99 at January 27, 2010 09:40 AM

I don't believe anything the propaganda organs tell me until I've verified it 5 ways to Sunday on the consistency scale.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at January 27, 2010 10:26 AM

That's what I loved about this story: Media Matters, in piling onto a young man who got so wrapped up in producing that "GOTCHA!!!" moment that he cut ethical corners, got so wrapped up in producing that "GOTCHA!!!" moment that they utterly beclowned themselves.

And yes, I thought the would-be prostitute thing was malicious, but deliciously funny!

Posted by: Cassandra at January 27, 2010 10:27 AM

That's why I said "alleged", Ymar.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying (and this is what I've read most places) "On the face of it, this doesn't sound right".

It's not a foregone conclusion but a limited judgment based on the available information (which is admittedly incomplete). If he did what they said, then he was wrong to do so -- not "He was wrong."

Posted by: Cassandra at January 27, 2010 10:30 AM

I wish I could think this story was made up, but it was widely reported yesterday even on right-leaning blogs, with lots of circumstantial detail that sounded pretty convincing. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Posted by: Texan99 at January 27, 2010 11:01 AM

And I think it's to the credit of righty blogs for getting out in front of this.

You never look bad when your own side screws up if your initial reaction is, "What they were accused of sounds wrong, and if it turns out they really did it, I disapprove."

That's not being a traitor - that's just being a good citizen. You're not throwing the person to the wolves b/c you don't maintain that they're guilty in advance of the facts. Distinguish what Murtha did with those Marines.

If he'd just said, "Hey, this sounds bad and if the facts support the initial reports, we can't ignore that."

But that's not what he said. He said, "See? These guys are so stressed out that they're going around murdering innocent civilians." That's a far cry from saying, "Of course murder is wrong and I hope they didn't do what they're accused of."

Posted by: Cassandra at January 27, 2010 11:18 AM

"Besides, there's no comedy quite like a Democrat scolding the country in high dudgeon with his pants on the ground."

Spd, that statement was spew worthy, and me with a mouthful of coffee.

Posted by: Russ at January 27, 2010 11:58 AM

I was only thinking of particular comments when I wrote my previous comment. Those comments did not include any particular thing you had written here.

If you cut O'Keefe out of the picture, people are still masters of believing in things that they shouldn't, simply because. Their ideology doesn't even matter nor do their political alliances. People continue to believe in deception that isn't particularly advanced, no matter how many times they have been fooled or how many others they have observed being fooled.

This impacts the current political climate because political philosophy doesn't impact reality until first the brain of a person receives the external stimuli and the person makes a decision based upon their internal realm. Using this process, law, morality, or conservatism can all be utilized to fulfill the goals of an external agent. Because everybody's decisions are based upon their perception of their own internal realm, their own reality. Controlling what people perceive is almost as good as controlling what they believe, and certainly better than dealing with people's political beliefs.

No matter how many individuals are not fooled. Enough are to have turned the tide. Making this a method that is worthy of repetition and replication so long as there is a human that desires effectiveness.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at January 28, 2010 12:51 AM

Sooooooooo...... you don't actually *deny* that you bounce kittens!!!!! :)

Sorry. I completely misunderstood what you were getting at, Ymar. Good point! (but take it easy on those kitties, will ya?)

Posted by: Cassandra at January 28, 2010 08:01 AM

I'll tear out the joints of anybody that wants to harm the kittens. Leave the kittens.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at January 28, 2010 02:07 PM

Bounced Felines of the World, take note! :)

Posted by: Cassandra at January 28, 2010 02:18 PM