« Liveblogging the Sneaux, Part Deux | Main | They Walk Among Us »

February 07, 2010

Men, Beer, Perverse Incentives....

Dangerous combination:

CWCID: McQ.

Interesting question of the day: Can you imagine a funny commercial that showed half nekkid women of a similar attractiveness level to the men in this video? Yeah. Me neither.

Just confirms my longstanding observation that most of the time men are shown in a state of undress, the selection criteria are... how shall I say this delicately ... skewed in the other direction? Too funny.

Posted by Cassandra at February 7, 2010 10:57 AM

Comments

I sincerely hope that pen was not a Mt. Blanc.

I have seen worse/better stopped on the freeway in traffic. When you gotta go, you gotta go!

Posted by: vet66 at February 7, 2010 01:54 PM

I don't know if this constitutes "half naked," but...

Posted by: Grim at February 7, 2010 03:08 PM

I am sorry, by the way, for the manner in which the headline characterizes the ad; but the ad itself is quite funny.

Posted by: Grim at February 7, 2010 05:11 PM

Product target audience: Male
The use of below average male models is effective for products for which the target audience is predominently male.
First, the use of above average female models will distract the target viewer attention from product being pitched pitched, which is generally unproductive in cases where the product isn't "Hooters" Moreover, the use of above average females may also cause target viewer to become uncomfortable in the presense of nearby female viewers, particularly his wife, and particularly after she signals her distaste of the manner in which he stares at the above average female in the commercial by reminding him of the way she caught him looking at "that little hussy" at the office Christmas Party in 1996, a matter he had hope had been forgotten completely.

Using below average male models in such commercials, however, as the complete opposite effect of the target viewer. First, rather than focus on the male model, the target viewer will focus on the product. Indeed, put any male model into a pair of "tighty-whities," and the target viewer not only will stare a hole the TV looking at anything other than the male model, but also assure everyone within hearing that he was so focused on the amazing qualities of the product that he didn't even notice that there was a guy in his underwear in the commercial. Nope. Not me. I. Did. Not. Look. At. The. Guy. In. His. Underwaer.

Finally, using a below average male model to promote a male oriented product has immediate and long marketing advantages. It immediately improves the target viewer's self-image, thus causing the target viewer to positively associate product with the pleasurable feeling of his own enhanced studliness. It's recommended that the target viewer's sense of enhanced studliness be regularly reinforced overtime through the use of males models of increasingly below average quality. Done correctly, the target viewer unconsciously adopts ever-lower personal standards for himself, and can rationalize continued or increased consumption of the product for years and years with complete confidence that he is still studlier than the next guy.

Enjoy the game. GO SAINTS.

Posted by: spd rdr gender genius marketing consulting, inc. at February 7, 2010 05:12 PM

It's recommended that the target viewer's sense of enhanced studliness be regularly reinforced overtime through the use of male models of increasingly below average quality. Done correctly, the target viewer unconsciously adopts ever-lower personal standards for himself, and can rationalize continued or increased consumption of the product for years and years with complete confidence that he is still studlier than the next guy.

*snort*

As my father likes to say whenever he senses danger, "I have no opinion on that subject" :p

Posted by: Cassandra at February 7, 2010 07:12 PM

Grim:

No, I don't think that qualifies as half nekkid, but it was funny anyway :)

Posted by: Cassandra at February 7, 2010 07:13 PM

I don't even like Bud Light.

Watch out for #16 for the Saints, Lance Moore.

He went to high school in my town. His older cousin is my son's HS math teacher.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at February 7, 2010 07:48 PM

If you think men only enjoy looking at model-quality women naked, and would ignore a naked, average woman, then you don't know men at all.

Posted by: a former european at February 7, 2010 11:39 PM

I will say, there was the "Casual Friday" ad for Monster.com during the Superbowl where average looking (i.e. FAR from model quality) men AND women were running around in their underwear. So to answer your interesting question of the day, I'd have to say... it was funny.

Posted by: MikeD at February 8, 2010 09:49 AM

I thought it was funny, too. You have to have at-best-average-looking guys (or women, too, in the other ad), or people wouldn't be laughing at the silliness of the "casualness" convention that led to the partial nudity -- they'd be thinking, "Hey, I wish we could do that in MY office."

My dad was a nudist. He had no patience with clothes. Luckily for my Oedipal development, he developed this enthusiasm rather late in life, long after I'd moved out. But I've never had any patience with clothes, either, whether for beautiful people, average people, or downright ugly people.

Posted by: Texan99 at February 8, 2010 05:15 PM

Hey, that's one of the best things about having your kids move out! You can act like a teenager in your own house :)

Did I say that? I don't think I did.

What I *said* was that I can't recall seeing an ad featuring average looking, half nekkid women. Different thing entirely.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 8, 2010 05:20 PM

Okay. I will have to do exhaustive research on half-nekkid women to put this issue to bed, so to speak.:)

Posted by: a former european at February 8, 2010 09:32 PM

Hey, did you all notice that the city where Katrina hit won the Super Bowl? I just realized that the winner was the same city. No one mentioned it at all during the pre-game, the game or the post-game. And Katrina was only 4 1/2 year ago, which is only a 1/2 year more than an Obama administration. It seems so recent.

Posted by: KJ at February 8, 2010 11:55 PM

I'll be honest: I didn't watch the SuperBowl this year KJ.

Hard to believe, isn't it? :)

Posted by: Cassandra at February 9, 2010 12:27 AM

Obama hasn't been in office for 4.5 years already!?
*remembers the economy is circling the event horizon around the drain and that Congress is still in session, then groans and mumbles, da^^^ed relativity*

Posted by: bthun at February 9, 2010 07:31 AM

Hehe, Bthun, I had to read it a few times-- KJ's saying the total length will only be 4 years. (From your lips to God's ears!)

Posted by: Foxfier at February 9, 2010 02:31 PM

True, and for the obvious reasons.

But additionally, this particular commercial is also a case of men being acceptable targets. That is, laughing at "average looking" half-nekkid women is a big no no.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at February 9, 2010 05:09 PM

I don't laugh at average looking half nekkid women. I try to sleep with them. It isn't like I'm going to land a super model. Duh!

Posted by: Average Looking Fully Clothed Man Wishing He Were With Fully Nekkid Average Looking Woman at February 9, 2010 05:14 PM

Only sleep with woman who whole nekkid. More fun than hald nekkid, unless outside, in cold, or in mall, or in dry cleaners, or...

Posted by: Cirroc at February 9, 2010 05:19 PM

Hmmm, past few minutes Cirroc come to conclusion that half nekkid just ducky too...

Now what was I doing?

Oh yes, going to dry cleaners

Posted by: Cirroc at February 9, 2010 05:23 PM