« Colin Powell on DADT: Then and Now | Main | What I'm Listening To »

February 05, 2010

Snow Open Thread

Sorry I've been AWOL this week.

I am just way too busy to write, right now. What are your plans for the snowstorm?

Posted by Cassandra at February 5, 2010 12:48 PM

Comments

Point eastwards and laugh.

Then stock the larder, sharpen the snow-shovel, and duck, because we're supposed to get hammered next week, all week, on top of the 12" already on the ground here in the southwestern tundra.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at February 5, 2010 02:13 PM

Stand in the mud puddle and reflect on the decision of the hun clan to move from the Magic Kingdom to the land of whispering pines and mud puddles.

Posted by: bthun at February 5, 2010 02:23 PM

I told The Unit in August when he said he was going to Afghanistan that I could tell we were going to have PILES of snow this winter.

So far I've never been wrong.

*sigh* :)

Posted by: Cassandra at February 5, 2010 02:26 PM

I'm going to write letters to the editor calling on faster action to deal with all this Global Warming.

Posted by: Grim at February 5, 2010 02:28 PM

I'm spending the day weaving prolitarian skeins into a noose for The Man (sorry KJ). With any luck, The Man will get wind of it and call with offer a bribe that I cannot, ethically, refuse. At which point, I'm thinking its Key West until opening day.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 5, 2010 02:38 PM

What about "corpse man"? Any comments?

Posted by: ken in sc at February 5, 2010 02:55 PM

I forgot to add this. Once upon a time the King of Spain, one of the Hapsburgs I think, had a lisp. Soon, almost all the nobility developed a lisp as well. This event still has an effect on the Spanish language. That is why you may sometimes hear Barcelona pronounced Barthelona by upper class Spaniards. Perhaps now the US military may have to start pronouncing “Corpsman” as “Corpse man” to prove their loyalty.

Posted by: ken in sc at February 5, 2010 02:58 PM

There's a snowstorm?

Posted by: Texan99 at February 5, 2010 03:09 PM

Cooking up a stew which should be good for a few days. Netflix disk read to go (from the "Weeds" series) and a couple of blog posts to work on.

Posted by: david foster at February 5, 2010 03:10 PM

It is perhaps a sad comment that I am so used to this administration beclowning itself on military matters that it doesn't even make an impression on me anymore.

*sigh*

Posted by: Cassandra at February 5, 2010 03:18 PM

As the old ho-down goes:

"Don't you b*tch, don't you pout,
hire an illegal to dig you out.

Big Snow a-commin,
Big Snow a-commin!"

Posted by: Boquisucio at February 5, 2010 03:27 PM

WHAP WHAP WHAP!!!! :)

Posted by: Cassandra at February 5, 2010 03:30 PM

I am making a big pot of vegetable soup with the leftover bones from the Christmas roast. The smell is making my mouth water!

Posted by: Cassandra at February 5, 2010 03:37 PM

There's a snowstorm?

Sooooo..... dead :p

Posted by: Cassandra at February 5, 2010 03:38 PM

We've already gotten 4 inches of heavy wet snow in Cowtown today (since about 10 am). Prediction of about 1 foot by the end of the storm Saturday afternoon. The work drones are already bailing out of the office due to the weather.
My rugrats have been told to shovel the driveway this afternoon, to prevent excessive work tomorrow. I hope to see results by the time I arrive home from the coal mines.
And I've got an all wheel drive car made by the four ring circus in Germany, so it's all good. :)

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at February 5, 2010 03:54 PM

Please be careful, Don.

It is just starting to stick here though it's been snowing like helk for hours.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 5, 2010 04:00 PM

At least ya'll get snow. Down here in Memphis we just get ICE. All of the headaches of snow without any of the fun.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at February 5, 2010 04:28 PM

Ahem! Hi today of 58 in beautiful Clovis, CA. You all have fun now, and be sure to drive safe.

Posted by: Russ at February 5, 2010 04:45 PM

Yu-Ain-Gonnano, unless you are wearing skates, I would just hole up and pray for some global warming. I hate ice with a passion.

Posted by: Russ at February 5, 2010 04:47 PM

When we get freezing precipatation here in north Georgia, like over in YAG's neighborhood, it's almost always ice.

ACCUMULATIONS...WIDESPREAD STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 20 TO
30 INCHES...WITH SOME LOCATIONS IN EXCESS OF 30 INCHES.

Traveling conditions unfit for Audi Quatro or beast.

Be careful folks.

Posted by: bthun at February 5, 2010 05:31 PM

Ahem! Hi today of 58 in beautiful Clovis, CA.

You, sir, will pay for that.
I have not figured out how yet, but you will pay. Oh yes... :p

Posted by: Cassandra at February 5, 2010 05:46 PM

Home from the highway. It's icky out out there.

Well, it'b been hovering around the freezing mark in Klumbus today, with the wet snow accumulating. Tonight the temp drops into the 20's, so all the slush and wet roads will freeze, making it nice and icy. Then snow on the ice.
The drive home through the slush on the highway was fun, with trucks casting huge buckets of slush across the windshield.
The neighbor kids down the street have already erected a ten foot snow man. Very industrious.

And my littlest cat is sitting on the computer desk watching the cursor crawl across the screen and batting at it.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at February 5, 2010 06:07 PM

Sitting by the pool with a margarita (Patron) watching the sunset at 65 degrees in the Sonoran Desert. Hot tub should be ready in about 30". Barbecue is cooling down after servicing pork butt for six hours.

Salud!

Posted by: vet66 at February 5, 2010 07:52 PM

Making sausage and bacon. I can't afford $4.00 a pound for something so delectable that it has to be a pantry staple...so we make our own.

I do use salt; I have Morton's Tender Quick to add to any seasonings.

One oddball ingredient and it makes all the difference in the world: Williams-Sonoma's Mulling Spices in the brine for bacon. I prefer to brine it for a few days, then cold smoke it.
The bacon is wonderful.

The Young Man has assembled the HUGE bread dough mixer (it is the hand one) and I will be mixing 10# of breakfast sausage in it.

Posted by: Cricket at February 6, 2010 11:03 AM

I've not the slightest idea where to begin for making sausage or bacon. But, I had sausage for with dinner last night (bbq dinner @ the Legion for the Boys Scouts 100th anniversary), and I got to take all the leftover sausage home, so that was part of the lunch I just ate, too. Think I'll be having more for dinner (along with the little bit of leftover brisket I got, as well - someone else got the brisket that never got cut into, and he decided he'd throw a Super Bowl party with it...he's a college student).

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at February 6, 2010 12:46 PM

Five horsepower Toro Snowmuncher and forty pounds of rock salt...

Posted by: BillT at February 8, 2010 09:26 PM