« Today's Babies Will Live to 100 Years of Age | Main | Shocking, I Know »

March 31, 2010

Coffee Snorters, "Bombs Away!" Edition

A sad day for women everywhere:

The man who put the dude in prostidude has left the brothel business, but the Shady Lady Ranch vows to press on without him.

Though the Nye County bordello 150 miles northwest of Las Vegas has temporarily stopped servicing women, owner Bobbi Davis said she isn't ready to give up on her groundbreaking foray into legal male prostitution.

"We're just taking a little break," she said.

Markus, the Shady Lady's first stud for hire, called it quits a few weeks ago after drawing fewer than 10 customers. Since then, the workload has been shouldered by a Las Vegas man in his mid-30s who -- Davis swears she's not making this up -- performs under the name "Y. Not."

I am sure some of you insensitive knuckle draggers will try to say this is no big deal but so long as this kind of shameless gender inequality exists, men in this so-called "Land of the Free" cannot consider themselves truly liberated.

Thank God the "smart people" are in charge...

"I cannot say for sure" that DNCers haven't gone to strip clubs in an official capacity, Kaine said, but "you can be darn sure no one's going to write down the name of a strip club" on an FEC report without serious questions being asked.
You have to love Kaine's nimble rejoinder: "I can't say for certain that we haven't done exactly the same thing but what I can tell you is that if we did, there would be... err... questions!!!! Lots of questions:"
A good point of reference is the scandal that brought down Republican U.S. senatorial candidate Jack Ryan in 2004. Unlike the RNC scandal, that one actually involved a sex club. Unlike Steele, Ryan actually went to the club. Unlike the RNC staffers who partied at Voyeur, Ryan actually engaged in skeevy behavior while there. (His wife said he encouraged her to perform sex acts.) And, unlike anyone so far involved in the current scandal, Ryan was actually running for office.

Consider, too, all the bona fide sex scandals that have failed to get officials removed from office. A 1990 GQ profile of Sen. Edward Kennedy described him sexually assaulting a waitress and having sex with a congressional lobbyist on the floor of a private room at a D.C. restaurant. David Vitter remains a U.S. senator after his number showed up on the phone list of the "D.C. Madam." Sen. Larry Craig served out his term after getting caught soliciting sex in a Minneapolis airport bathroom.

The only way bondage-gate becomes a real scandal is if it turns out the RNC tried to cover up details. So far, it's fired the staffer responsible and promised donors it won't happen again. But a drip-drip of new information would turn the story from "RNC pays embarrassing nightclub tab" to "RNC lies about it." The latter is much worse. So short of video evidence that Steele himself was gyrating in a glass case, this scandal has no legs.

On the other hand, it's encouraging to know that our Congressional overlords up on Capitol Hill aren't hoarding the nation's supply of stupid.

D'oh! My bad. Spoke too soon:

Question: On March 22, 2010, millions of Americans are covered under the Medicare Part D Retiree Drug Subsidy Program. On March 23, 2030, President Barack Obama signs Obamacare into law. On March 24, 2010, millions of Americans find out they may end up losing their Medicare Part D Retiree Drug Subsidy Program benefits because Obamacare taxes the subsidy that enables companies to offer the benefit cost effectively. Do you think that those millions of Americans who are now staring at a loss of a meaningful benefit are going to...

* Thank Barack Obama, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi for Obamacare?
* Thank their Democratic Representative and/or Senator for voting "for" Obamacare?
* Blame the nihilistic and obstructionist Republicans? Or,
* Curse the Cruel Hand of Fate?

Think real hard before answering.

Remember when Obama wore a flight jacket and the media vigorously condemned him for being a poseur who never served? Yeah, me neither:

bamber_jacket.jpeg

Sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words.

"Use by...": the Expired Obama Promises list. Heh.

And After Just Two Hours Volunteering in a Chicago Soup Kitchen in 2003, He Developed the Weathered, Empathetic Eyes of a Mother Theresa...

Graphic of the Day, served up with extra snark.

Posted by Cassandra at March 31, 2010 07:48 AM

Comments

What I got out of Kaine's remark was more like, "I'm not saying some DNC staffers haven't hung out in bondage bars on other people's money, but we wouldn't create a PAPER TRAIL, for Pete's sake."

Posted by: Texan99 at March 31, 2010 09:17 AM

Kinda makes you want to trust them with a radical restructuring of the health care system, don't it? :p

Posted by: The Most Ethical Administration *Evah* at March 31, 2010 09:25 AM

Looks like Obie's into leather, too...

Posted by: BillT at March 31, 2010 10:12 AM

Posted by: Cassandra at March 31, 2010 10:22 AM

I liked this line from Slate:

"Let he who has never visited a high-end West Hollywood lesbian bondage-themed nightclub cast the first stone. OK, so that's probably a lot of you."

Of course, I'm terribly ignorant about these things. When they told me the BlackFive party in Vegas was going to be held at "the Penthouse Club," I assumed they meant at a penthouse in one of the various hotels. It was kind of an odd experience going to a place like it turned out to be, although they went to some lengths to 'tone down' the club's normal nature for us.

Posted by: Grim at March 31, 2010 10:27 AM

Let's see if this one make it to NRO's collection...

"Plots against our homeland, plots against our allies, plots against the Afghan and Pakistani people are taking place as we speak right here. And if this region slides backwards, if the Taliban retakes this country and al Qaeda can operate with impunity, then more American lives will be at stake. The Afghan people will lose their chance at progress and prosperity. And the world will be significantly less secure.

"And as long as I’m your Commander-in-Chief, I am not going to let that happen." -- 28 March, 2010

Posted by: BillT at March 31, 2010 10:28 AM

I was pretty surprised when I heard you had gone there but I figured, "What do I know?"

I knew exactly what it was when Carrie told me. There's no way in Hell I would ever have gotten The Unit in there, even if I'd wanted to go (and I wouldn't have). I don't think it's so much that he has any great moral aversion, but I can hear him now: "No good can come from this..." :p

Posted by: Cassandra at March 31, 2010 10:42 AM

I don't think any harm came from it -- none that I saw, anyway. My wife and I mostly spent the time talking to Mr. and Mrs. Greyhawk, as well as a few others I had reason to know.

We left early, though; I think we only stayed an hour or so. I hear there was some strange stuff later in the evening.

Posted by: Grim at March 31, 2010 10:50 AM

Anything that reminds me of Midnight Cowboy is depressing.

Unless you substitute a clueless congress for The Cowboy and Obama plays Ratso.

Posted by: tomg51 at March 31, 2010 10:52 AM

I wasn't implying that there was. I was just surprised, that's all.

I heard about the pole :p

Posted by: Cassandra at March 31, 2010 10:54 AM

On March 23, 2030, President Barack Obama signs Obamacare into law.

This is the most depressing thing I've read today. 20 years and he's still in office? On the positive side, it took him 20 years to really get this done ...

Posted by: tom at March 31, 2010 11:19 AM

The infamous fat finger of fate strikes again!

Posted by: Cassandra at March 31, 2010 11:20 AM

What pole? The whole thing was pretty tame. I know that Grim was well behaved, and I have it on good authority that I was as well.

There were a few antics later on, but well, ummm, alcohol may have been involved. Seriously though, you would have been hard pressed to find anything out of line there.

Dennis does have a way of boling the thing down to its essence doesn't he?

Posted by: Allen at March 31, 2010 11:39 AM

Obviously, the management maintained the room temperature well above freezing.

Despite what some later participants told me in the strictest of confidence -- in a "Reply All" e-gram...

Posted by: BillT at March 31, 2010 11:46 AM

*snort* :)

Posted by: Cassandra at March 31, 2010 11:47 AM

You got the e-mail too, eh?

Posted by: BillT at March 31, 2010 01:18 PM

Oh, there was a pole. Trust me.

And yes, Grim was well-behaved. I, too, didn't put 2 and 2 together until just before the event that it was going to be held at THE Penthouse Club.

At which point, MacGyver burst into tears because he didn't come with me.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at March 31, 2010 02:25 PM

And because the supposedly sealed records for Jack Ryan's divorce case were opened up to satisfy the media, he ended up being flushed out of the 2004 Illinois Senatorial election. Because of various other scandals in the GOP at that time (well deserved, BTW), the Illinois GOP didn't even have a chairperson at the time. Because of that the Republican candidate ended up being Alan Keyes, who was a resident of Maryland at the time. He ended up losing to a guy who prior to that had been an Illinois State Senator who had, except for one speech before the DNC 2000 national convention, been a fairly obscure politician; one Barack Obama.

Posted by: RonF at March 31, 2010 02:59 PM

Heh... I wondered if anyone was going to bring that up :p

Like everyone else, I haven't quite figured out why Barney Frank running a prostitution ring out of his house isn't "newsworthy" and Ryan's admittedly problematic behavior is. But in the end we have to live with the results of our decisions.

I can't quite see him as a victim.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 31, 2010 03:16 PM

It was easier to keep track of the scandals when it was Dems getting caught with their pants down and Repubs getting caught with their hands in the till. Once they started mixing and matching . . .

Posted by: LittleRed1 at March 31, 2010 05:07 PM

"On March 24, 2010, millions of Americans find out they may end up losing their Medicare Part D Retiree Drug Subsidy Program benefits because Obamacare taxes the subsidy that enables companies to offer the benefit cost effectively. "

This must be that "corporate welfare" thing where the government subsidizes the drug benefit and the corporations are allowed to deduct from their income the amount of the subsidy they pass through to their employees as though the corporation itself had paid the amount of the subsidy. Gotta love those corporate welfare queens whining about a benefit they shouldn't have received in the first place.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 1, 2010 12:10 AM

Well, let's look at the background. The subsidy was a government tax incentive designed to make MediCare's Retiree Drug Program available to more retirees. The Gummint, for better or worse, decided that encouraging businesses to offer the benefit as part of their *employee benefits package* was the way to go, and in order to encourage businesses to offer the benefit *and* make it more affordable for their employees, instituted the tax incentive.

IOW, the goal was to maximize MediCare D benefits for the largest number of people at the least out-of-pocket cost to them.

HellCare turns that upside-down. Under the guise of making a facet of health care more affordable to more people, it makes it *less* affordable -- and available to fewer people -- making it, for all intents and purposes, a *rationed* system.

Those corporations filing SEC Form 8-F are doing exactly what the *law* says they must do -- file a report estimating the operational impact of any legislation that impacts their operations.

And you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Wait 'til the unions realize the full impact on their membership and discover that corporations *will* either reduce wages or workforce to try to keep themselves afloat...

Posted by: BillT at April 1, 2010 03:56 AM

Your tax dollars at "work". That is all...

Posted by: camojack at April 1, 2010 04:00 AM

Hey! That brought the thread back on topic -- people getting f

Your Comment Has Been Pre-Emptively Moderated For Inappropriate Content, Even For *This* Place

Posted by: BillT at April 1, 2010 04:00 AM

In other words, the government (taxpayers) footed the bill for the benefits ("same as it ever was"), and the corporations who acted merely as conduits to get the funds to the retirees (and not evey "all" retirees, but only the retirees of the corporations which received the subsidy *)received a tax benefit / deduction for something they personally did not spend. Sounds like corporate welfare to me.

* Query whether the law was drafted in such a way as to apply to only certain corporations [e.g., "corporations with x billion $$ in fossil fuel recapture deductions and whose shares are traded on y exchange and held by trusts whose original settlors were fourth generation descendents of 12 specific members of the DAR, and whose great-great grandchildren have gone to y Ivy-League school during the years 1942-1965, and are currently ..." - we've seen "complicated legislation" which, when examined closely, affects only a very small, discrete population)... as a result of corporate lobbying 'er something. I don't know the asnwer to this.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 1, 2010 02:05 PM

I donut spelle two gude neither.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 1, 2010 02:07 PM

Sounds like corporate welfare to me.

The Low Income subsidy under the old system exempted qualified users from *all* out of pocket expenses except a max co-pay of $5.25. What does *that* sound like to you?

HellCare doesn't eliminate the business subsidy, it decreases the amount the government contributes -- *and* imposes a tax on the subsidy as income.

Query whether the law was drafted in such a way as to apply to only certain corporations...

Nope. Here's the link to the RDS page --

Posted by: BillT at April 1, 2010 02:54 PM

... -- browse away and marvel at the multitudinous diversity of the participating corporations, unions, and non-profit organizations.

A multitudinous diversity of the participating corporations, unions, and non-profit organizations it is indeed. Thanks for the info.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 1, 2010 10:22 PM