« Go. Now. | Main | Phew! »

March 19, 2010

Friday Morning Update

Just shoot me now.

Really. You will be doing me a favor.

Update:

h/t: Grim

OMG. One of my all time faves:

Posted by Cassandra at March 19, 2010 09:42 AM

Comments

Nope. Won't do it. I enjoy your writing too much. What ever it may be, just deal with it. :)

Posted by: Barry at March 19, 2010 09:46 AM

Oh come on! Your bracket couldn't be that bad after yesterday...unless,of course, you picked Georgetown.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 19, 2010 09:49 AM

That was in 1929 -- in *France*.

And when was the last time anything from France became a fad over here?

Oh. John Kerry.

Okay, okay -- when was the last time anything from France became a fad someplace over here that actually *mattered*?

Posted by: BillT at March 19, 2010 10:02 AM

Well, at least my day isn't going as badly as this lady's :p

Posted by: Cassandra at March 19, 2010 10:06 AM

Posted by: Grim at March 19, 2010 10:26 AM

That lady's day went exactly as she wanted it: she p**sed off the neighbors, got arrested, and maybe even got her picture in the paper.

Nudists must have really tough skin. I always wind up with bug bites and scratches where I don't cover up.

Posted by: valerie at March 19, 2010 10:42 AM

I have to admit that it has never occurred to me to garden in a thong and pasties :p

A bikini? Sure. But only when there's no one around to see me. Yikes. And she was 52. Why is it that the folks who always want to parade around in the altogether are the very ones who shouldn't?

Posted by: Cassandra at March 19, 2010 11:00 AM

may be she was a very fit 52?? :o)
Also, the "walking on wheels" is a 1929 article, I am sure something from France did become a fad here at that time :o)
Cassandra, whatever is bothering you, I hope it will be over very soon.

Posted by: olga at March 19, 2010 12:58 PM

She would have to be!

When I turned 50 last year I decided that was it for me. One piece bathing suits from now on!

There's something about the idea of Grandma in a bikini that seems really, really wrong, no matter how many situps one does... :p

Posted by: Cassandra at March 19, 2010 01:13 PM

I am Horton. Therefore, I can hide behind a tree and it will cover me completely, a la Bugs Bunny.

Posted by: Cricket at March 19, 2010 01:43 PM

Don't you see those diet fab/excercise equipment commercials where a 52 yo woman comes out of the pool wearing a bikini and the young cubs swoon all over her?? and she claims that she is 52, a grandma and she got her beautiful body and the second youth thanks to that fab/equipment?? :o)

Posted by: olga at March 19, 2010 01:55 PM

Those who can usually don't and those who really shouldn't are the ones who do - sing, wear less than is wise, what have you.

Since I can sunburn just looking at pictures of a beach, I don't even swim outdoors. If I can't wear long sleeves, long skirt or slacks and a hat, I ain't gonna do it. And Do NOT talk to me about a burkini. No. Just don't.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at March 19, 2010 01:56 PM

Well, at least my day isn't going as badly as this lady's

Could've been worse -- she might've been tied to a tree in Seattle...

Posted by: BillT at March 19, 2010 03:39 PM

"Why is it that the folks who always want to parade around in the altogether are the very ones who shouldn't?"

Saw that phenom a lot on a 4-yr stint with the AF in north Italy. Would take the fam to the local beaches and get an eyeful. It was a challenging teaching moment as a parent. "Now kids, try not to STARE at them! It's THEIR culture to do that." (as you yourself try not to gawk). Yes, I gazed at quite of few to determine those "who shouldn't!" :)

Posted by: ziobuck at March 19, 2010 05:42 PM

Sometimes determining whether someone shouldn't requires considerable scrutiny, too.

Then, again, sometimes *not*.

I once had a mission to take a Coastie on a recon of some hurricane damage to a section of Naval offshore mooring facilities at Sandy Hook (NJ), about six months after Sandy Hook proper had been designated a National Seashore -- the Mama Gaia worshippers immediately posted signs declaring the tip of the peninsula to be a People's Designated Clothing Optional Beach.

I picked up the Coastie on what had been the commandant's lawn when Sandy Hook had an active Coast Guard station, and after he had strapped in, I told him that our flight path on climbout would bring us over the PDCOB, at about 200 feet, and advised him, "Don't look down."

"Why? I'm not prudish."

"Neither am I, but I flew over it coming in here, and I'm tellin' you, for your sanity's sake, don't look down."

So, naturally, he looked down.

The only thing he said was, "Can this thing climb any faster?"

Posted by: BillT at March 20, 2010 02:57 AM

"The only thing he said was, "Can this thing climb any faster?""

Does this thing have bombs if not?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 20, 2010 01:29 PM