« Winning at all Costs | Main | Poll of the Week »

March 17, 2010

It's March, So It Must Be Time...

...for The Beer Bracket.

beer.jpg

Background here. Feel free to advocate zealously for the brew of your choice (this week's selections only, please) in the comments section. Other acceptable topics are:

What you're having for St. Paddy's Day dinner.
Your brew of choice.
Any jokes, Irish trivia, or other inane fodder you wish to inflict upon the assembled villainry.

Update: If you (or someone you know) is suspected of having Irish blood, you may look up family names here, here, or here.

Or if you're not Irish, generate an Irish name for yourself!

Camo has the background on St. Patrick, as does Patrick O'Hannigan.

Posted by Cassandra at March 17, 2010 05:54 AM

Comments

If Guinness doesn't win, it's a tragedy. A year ago today, I was on the streets of Dublin. My in-laws took all the kids and spouses to Ireland, and my parents were invited and came along as well. It was a fantastic trip, but take my advice... don't bother trying to go to watch the parade. I did, and only saw the very tops of some flags. The crowd was seriously like 20 people deep. I should have just watched it from a bar.

Posted by: MikeD at March 17, 2010 10:21 AM

I hardly seems sporting that such earthly delights as Smithwick's and Chimay have to go head-to-to in the opening round while #2 seed Hennepin gets to play the University of South Slothsburg and Poly-technical Day School Banana Breads (who, by the way, have their own Facebook page!).

Claim to Irish fame: I marched in New York's St. Patrick's Day Parade four times, and not once was I wearing green.

Posted by: paddy mc spd o'rdr at March 17, 2010 10:43 AM

For shame! The things some lads will do in order to get pinched :)

Posted by: Cassandra at March 17, 2010 10:53 AM

I've Irish on my maternal grandmother's side. The O'Loughlins originally from County Clare, as far as I've been told. Won't be eating Irish for dinner tonight - it will be leftover Papa John's beef & pepperoni pizza...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at March 17, 2010 11:20 AM

I haven't decided yet. It's kind of dumb to make corned beef and cabbage or colcannon for one person.

So I will probably have something exciting like a healthy choice dinner and a salad.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 17, 2010 12:14 PM

I have Irish on both sides. My maternal grandfather was a McGrath, and I have Donohoe on my Dad's side, though it's back a ways.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 17, 2010 12:17 PM

I'm Irish on the maternal side. The paternal side won't admit to being such, if indeed they are. HOWEVER, we are Irish because of getting thrown out of Scotland for rieving, then tossed out of Ulster as well. My father's people, I'm assured, were good upstanding Scots who built ships, sold cotton (um, and had 20 children by two wives, and got hung for stealing livestock, and oh never mind).

Pork chops and mixed veggies (not my choice, I assure you). Hmm, Guinness, with a side of Harp, for those who are able to indulge.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at March 17, 2010 02:09 PM

It's kind of dumb to make corned beef and cabbage or colcannon for one person.

Yes, it would be a bit silly (unless you like having leftovers). So treat yourself and go out for dinner. Maybe get a few of the girls together and go.

Posted by: MikeD at March 17, 2010 02:24 PM

My mother's people are from County Cork, and my father-in-law's are from Northern Ireland. One of the really neat things we got to do on the trip was visit the castle his ancestor built. We've got some great pictures of it.

Posted by: MikeD at March 17, 2010 02:26 PM

I've never been to Ireland, but I was born in New York City and raised confused by the sons of daughters of cops and firemen and post-Tammany hacks, and Jesuits. So what's left to know?

Posted by: paddy mc spd o'rdr at March 17, 2010 03:16 PM

spd, go. You will NOT regret it. Just don't try driving. Hire a cab or tour van or anything, just don't drive.

Seriously... that is one extremely beautiful country. And before I'm accused, I'm talking about the land, not the ladies. I didn't look at them... much.

Posted by: MikeD at March 17, 2010 05:01 PM

Liar, liar, pants on fire :p

Posted by: Cassandra at March 17, 2010 05:24 PM

Jeezus, MikeD, you really tried to put one over on the Princess? Rookie.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 17, 2010 06:56 PM

Spoken like a man with years of experience in putting one over on the Princess :p

Posted by: Cassandra at March 17, 2010 07:25 PM

I would give just about anything to visit Ireland. I haven't taken a "go somewhere" vacation since I went to Alaska for my cousin's wedding in May/June 2004. Before that, I'd gone to Colorado in August '94 or '95. Haven't taken a real vacation in more than 5 years, and Lord only knows when I'll be able to do it again, never mind taking a traveling vacation.

Oh, and dinner plans have change a little. Got home from work to find someone (Mom....) had eating half of my half of a leftover pizza - without bothering to ask if it was "up for grabs". Grrrr! Anyhow, Mom saw something in the paper about Guinness-braised brats, so my Dad is supposedly going to do that tonight. I've already eaten my 2 slices of pizza, but I'm still hungry, so I think I'll have some Guinness-brat, too, so I'll be having a little Irish for dinner (not that the brats are Irish...).

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at March 17, 2010 08:13 PM

not that the brats are Irish...

*Obviously*, you young baggage, you are unacquainted with mr rdr....

*sniff!*

Posted by: Sister Mary Bag O'Metaphors at March 17, 2010 08:20 PM

Mom claims she thought the leftover pizza was from the last time they ordered. Never mind my pizza was from Papa John's, the last time they ordered was from Gatti's, mine was pepperoni & beef, they ordered cheese (Friday during Lent...).

Horror of Horrors, when my mom bought the beer (MY mom bought BEER??), she got Guinness in a can... I'm not a beer drinker, but even I know you don't get Guinness in a can...

The Guinness-braised bratwurst was tasty, though...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at March 17, 2010 09:23 PM

I was looking at recipes for corned beef today and there was an interesting one that baked or boiled the corned beef in a few pints of Guinness and about a cup of brown sugar. Sounds really disgusting, but there were about 300 comments and they were all going on and on about how good it was.

I usually simmer the corned beef in spices and beer for several hours until it's really tender. Then I take the corned beef out and reserve the beer liquid to boil the cabbage, potatoes and carrots in.

I make a dry-ish paste/rub from dark brown sugar and Jack Daniels, put the brisket in a baking pan fat side up and pat the Jack Daniels and sugar rub on the beef. Bake for 15-30 minutes until it forms a crunchy crust on the beef, put it on a platter and surround with the cooked veggies.

Now I'm hungry!

Posted by: Cassandra at March 17, 2010 10:03 PM

I thought about going out and getting a Guinness...but I work on aircraft at night.

I'm ΒΌ Irish on me dear mother's side, and I do plan to visit the "Auld Sod" someday.

I like how Mr. O'Hannigan compared Saint Patrick's life to that of the protagonist in "The Princess Bride"...

Posted by: camojack at March 18, 2010 01:18 AM

"Liar, liar, pants on fire :p"

Shockingly, I'm actually telling the truth here. There were attractive women in Ireland. But in March, it's COLD, so it's not like they were "on display" or anything. Plus, we were traveling in a group on a bus, so I didn't wander off on my own much at all. And finally, I WAS walking around with my wife (who, as you might be aware, is an authentic red-head). And while I do have permission to look, I feel it's more than a bit rude to do so directly in front of her.

So my statement IS truthful. I did not look all that much. And seriously, I just can't express how absolutely gorgeous the countryside is.

"I would give just about anything to visit Ireland."

LB, it's actually not quite as expensive as you'd imagine. My sister once managed to get plane tickets over to Ireland for $150 round trip (though that was 2-3 years ago). In fact, if you contact one of the Irish travel agencies (we used CIE - http://www.cietours.ie/) you might be able to get some great deals. Especially if you can travel off season.

Posted by: MikeD at March 18, 2010 10:07 AM

Heh :)

I've noticed my spouse surreptitiously checking out a lovely lass from time to time and it always makes me smile... because I can see that he's being careful of my feelings and it makes me feel loved.

Your wife is a very lucky woman, Mike.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 18, 2010 10:34 AM

By the way, I knew you were telling the truth. I was just yanking your chain :)

Posted by: Cassandra at March 18, 2010 10:35 AM

BTW, I came up with my own Irish name: Cam O'Jack ;-)

Posted by: camojack at March 18, 2010 11:34 AM

Mike, it may be relatively inexpensive, but I can't even consider it in the foreseeable future. The term "paycheck to paycheck" is unfortunately my lot in life right now, and it just got worse around Christmas because of my unexpected visit to the ER, which I'll be paying for for Lord only knows how long. I'm giving it one more "hiring season", and if I don't get a teaching job, I'm giving up on that because I can't continue as I have for the past 2-3 years since graduating. Then, I'll either have a job, or be looking for something more permanent than the three I have now. After that, we'll see what we can do...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at March 18, 2010 01:16 PM