« I'm Going on a Diet... | Main | True Grit »

March 09, 2010

Needed: More Shower Diplomacy?

Kinda gives a whole new meaning to the term, "pressing the flesh", doesn't it?

In Massa’s weekly radio show on New York station WKPQ Power 105 FM, made available via the Web site of local station 13 WHAM-TV, he recounts running into Emanuel in the House gym, where the shower curtains had inexplicably been removed. “I’m ... naked as a jay bird, and here comes Rahm Emanuel, not even with a towel wrapped around his tush, poking his finger in my chest, yelling at me because I wasn’t going to vote for the president’s budget,” Massa said. “Do you know how awkward it is to have a political argument with a naked man?”

On the otter heiny, perhaps such unorthodox techniques might have helped old 'Bam win a few hearts and minds in the global community:

I recently asked several senior administration officials, separately, to name a foreign leader with whom Barack Obama has forged a strong personal relationship during his first year in office. A lot of hemming and hawing ensued.

One official mentioned French president Nicolas Sarkozy, who is scheduled to bring his glamorous wife to the White House residence this month for a couples dinner with Barack and Michelle Obama. But in France, Sarkozy's bitterness toward Obama, the product of several perceived snubs, is an open secret, reported widely in the French press. In a speech at the U.N. General Assembly in September Sarkozy appeared to mock Obama's signature disarmament initiative, saying "we are living in a real world, not a virtual world."

Angela Merkel's name also came up: Obama and the German chancellor, I was told, share a down-to-business pragmatism. But Merkel, too, has been conspicuously cool toward Obama ever since he made Berlin a stop on his 2008 election campaign. She stopped him then from appearing at the Brandenburg Gate and was said to be miffed last November when Obama didn't show for ceremonies celebrating the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall. Anyway, diplomats say that Merkel has a much warmer relationship with Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

No one named Gordon Brown. That's fairly remarkable: The relationship between the sitting British prime minister and U.S. president has been consistently close over the past 30 years. Think Reagan and Thatcher, Clinton and Blair, Bush and Blair. But Obama has been portrayed as dissing Brown ever since he presented him with a set of DVDs as a gift during their first meeting in Washington a year ago. Last fall the British press reported that the White House had turned down five requests for Obama to meet Brown one-on-one at the United Nations or the G-20 summit.

Maybe what's needed here is a more personal approach. Then again, getting up close and personal doesn't seem to have worked too well for Rahm Emmanuel:

... [Massa's] naked-truth assessment of the brusque chief of staff: “Rahm Emanuel is [the] son of the devil’s spawn. He is an individual who would sell his mother to get a vote. He would strap his children to the front end of a steam locomotive.”

Meeee-ouch, girlfriend. And these are the smart people who were going to show us all how politics is supposed to be done?

Too funny.

Posted by Cassandra at March 9, 2010 08:42 AM

Comments

For a man who was going to "restore America's reputation with the world", he's done remarkable little to help, and a whole lot to hurt it. He has all but spat in the face of every last American ally, most notably the British, attempted to engage our enemies (Iran, Venezuela, China, Russia, etc) and been roundly rejected. I understand why the enemies rebuffed his advances (because it's working, so why would they change), but I have no idea what he's trying to accomplish by offending our allies. Seemingly on purpose.

Posted by: MikeD at March 9, 2010 10:02 AM

Massa should have been focused on what Emanuel was saying instead of Rahm's taught, apple-like, ballerina butt. Telling that Massa chose to remain seated at "eye level" as if transfixed by the snake charmer's appendage mesmerizing him with an unblinking steely eyed stare moving from side-to-side with wide flaring hood prominently displayed.

Methinks he doth protesteth too much.

Posted by: vet66 at March 9, 2010 10:17 AM

If the Republicans had any sense they'd steer well clear of Massa. He's a derelict in the political shipping lanes, and there's no need to allow the taint to seep across the aisle. Unfortunately, for the Republicans at least, this is pure ratings gold for fatheads like Rush Limbaugh and that's what becomes the story.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 9, 2010 11:26 AM

this is pure ratings gold for fatheads like Rush Limbaugh...

I am NOT a big fathead!!! TAKE IT BACK or I'll sit on you!

Posted by: Rush Limbaugh at March 9, 2010 11:47 AM

instead of Rahm's taught, apple-like, ballerina butt.

Oh, thanks a LOT. I will be trying to scrub that image from my brain housing group for the rest of the day :p

Posted by: Cassandra at March 9, 2010 11:48 AM

If it's revenge you're looking for Ms. Cass, might I recommend using "Helen Thomas' ______" as a weapon. Fill in the blank, it actually does not matter. Any will do.

Posted by: MikeD at March 9, 2010 12:30 PM

So, what was it Rahm's apple-like butt taught Massa -- don't get taut up in the moment?

Posted by: BillT at March 9, 2010 01:24 PM

No seductive whisperings in his shell-like ear?
Do tell how hard it is to have a political argument with a nekkid man.

Does it have something to do with being morally erect?

(yes, I am being obnxious. I am nearly finished with my 'Nail the Jell-O to the wall class, aka Cost Accounting and I am punchy. Wait til I start writing my paper!)

Posted by: Cricket at March 9, 2010 01:59 PM

First reaction to Massa's first statement: what's wrong with working out at the YMCA/ Golds's/private gym of choice and showering back at your apartment? That's what the rest of us peons do. Second reaction: TMI! I would have been perfectly happy to live my four score and ten without that image in my mind, thank you.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at March 9, 2010 02:00 PM

I'm just stuck on the idea of the devil as a grandfather. Does Rahm call him "Pop-Pop Satan"?

Welcome back, Cass.

Posted by: Elise at March 9, 2010 03:04 PM

Thanks :)

I missed all of you very much.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 9, 2010 03:17 PM

Please write your Congressman and tell him or her to
PASS HEALTHCARE REFORM TODAY! AS IN NOW! AS IN LIKE RIGHT THIS 'EFFING RAHM MINUTE!!! The life you save may be my own. Thank you.

Rush Limbaugh says he'll leave the U.S. if healthcare reform becomes law.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 9, 2010 04:20 PM

That'll stampede the voters. Where would Rush go? The UK? The EU? Cuba? Canada? His own island?

The world waits with baited breath. (deliberate misspelling)

Posted by: Cricket at March 9, 2010 04:22 PM

*rolleyes*

Very mature. It's as stupid as all the lefty actors talking about how they'd leave the country if George Bush got (re)elected. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. We'll be here working to fix it, but thanks for running away.

Posted by: MikeD at March 9, 2010 04:30 PM

Rush Limbaugh says he'll leave the U.S. if healthcare reform becomes law.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! ANYTHING BUT THAT!!!

Maybe he can shack up with all the other dim bulbs who have threatened to leave America and then conveniently "forgot" when it came time to carry out their threats.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 9, 2010 04:36 PM

"And these are the smart people who were going to show us all how politics is supposed to be done? Too funny."

Ya think? ;-)

Posted by: camojack at March 10, 2010 03:51 AM

You mean, other than Hugo Chavez?

Posted by: BillT at March 11, 2010 03:15 PM