« Friday Morning Update | Main | A Strong Dose of Reality »

March 21, 2010

Phew!

22 bags of leaves raked up
Gutters cleaned out
2 trees limbed
Utility enclosure painted, inside and out

Am I going to feel like a bus hit me tomorrow or what?

Posted by Cassandra at March 21, 2010 04:18 PM

Comments

Good Job! I hope you wore your gloves. Be extra careful not to fall off the roof or ladder.

Posted by: vet66 at March 21, 2010 04:48 PM

Greyhound, Trailways, or school?

Posted by: BillT at March 21, 2010 05:20 PM

For me it was 10 40lb. bags of manure, 10 40lb bags of Miracle Grow and 10 21lb bags of top soil. Then came the 80 bulbs and 60 seedlings. Right on cue, it's raining. Glad it is done but boy do I wish I had worn gloves!

Posted by: Carolyn at March 21, 2010 05:20 PM

Greyhound, Bill. Definitely a Greyhound.

I think you have me beaten, Carolyn! :)

I was going to go and get mulch but I had a feeling that was a bridge too far.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 21, 2010 05:50 PM

Oh, and I did wear gloves!

Posted by: Cassandra at March 21, 2010 05:51 PM

Gawdamighty, woman: you rock! I love Marine wives: mine and your husband's.

TC

Posted by: Leatherneck at March 21, 2010 05:59 PM

Hey Michigan’s 1st District Looking for A New Representative to
Replace Stupak?

Dr Dan Benishek wants to be your new Representative.

Posted by: keyboard jockey at March 21, 2010 07:48 PM

I think we will all feel like we've been run over by a bus tomorrow. :(

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at March 21, 2010 07:50 PM

Better hit by one than thrown under one, I always say...

The weather was irresistible, wasn't it?

Posted by: Cricket at March 21, 2010 10:41 PM

Yes, you will.

I did some raking out of the lily beds. But the main job was to cut two holes into my ceiling, cut open the electrical conduit, pull out some dead network and coaxial cable that had gotten jammed stuck in there when I tried to pull it out in the first place, repair the conduit, and then pull 3 new 8 gauge wires through so that the shed I dug a 120 foot trench to behind my house, ran conduit, etc. now has working electricity. Oh, yeah, and then replace, patch and sand the pieces of drywall I cut out to get to the conduit in the first place.

Posted by: RonF at March 22, 2010 12:06 AM

Why'd you wait 'til Spring...didn't the leaves fall in Autumn?

Posted by: camojack at March 22, 2010 03:33 AM

Cass,

Could you teach my bride how to do that stuff? I never have time - unless I do it in the dark - and she says she doesn't get it......

Kidlet and I are having a wonderous time in Oslo. So far, to her, as a Chicago/NYC resident a thing of amazement is the subway/train system. She nearly cried when she went into the National Theatre Station and saw no trash, not even on the tracks!! Also confused her with no beggars/panhandlers/"street musicians" plying their trade(s). And she is duly impressed with the architecture of the city.

I could send a couple of pics.....if anyone wants to live vicariously.....

KP

Posted by: kbob in Oslo! at March 22, 2010 06:09 AM

Why'd you wait 'til Spring...didn't the leaves fall in Autumn?

Spoken like a man who doesn't live in the woods :p

I raked up and bagged several times that number of bags last Fall. When you live in the woods, it's not just your leaves but the leaves that blow down from the wooded lot across the street and from your neighbor's.

This year was actually a lot better than prior years. Last Spring I tore out all the foundation shrubbery around my house and replaced it with a miniature Japanese holly and a few different varieties of Nandina. The leaves used to blow into the walkway that traverses the front of the house and get caught between the house and the stone wall. We used to call it "the tunnel of leaves".

The wind blows so hard that leaves would literally be impaled on my azaleas and I had to pick them all out by hand.

Much better this year.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 22, 2010 06:48 AM

Spoken like a man who doesn't live in the woods

Oak trees only shed about 40% of their leaves in autumn. Then they dump 10% of the remainder each month, every month, until new buds begin to form, at which time *all* the remaining leaves fall to earth.

It's a deal the squirrels made with the oaks a long time ago. In return for holding leaves in reserve so the tree rats could use them to build large, unsightly nests without tracking mud up the tree trunks, the tree rats in return would plant acorns in every square inch of available ground, thus insuring that humans would be so tired of yanking oak saplings from lawns, flower beds, gutters, crevices in walkways, and in between the cinderblocks of house foundations, that they'd overlook the ones sprouting in actual woods.

The one part of the bargain that is actually beneficial to humans is that the sight of freshly-fallen leaves triggers the bagging-and-hoarding instinct in individuals who are otherwise perfectly normal, with the possible exception of losing driving skills to the point where they cause the other occupants of the automobile to scream like a banshee on helium...

Posted by: BillT at March 22, 2010 11:33 AM

Heh :)

We are surrounded by oak trees here and last year there was a bumper crop of acorns. They are sprouting everywhere.

On the plus side, the antics of the tree rates are amusing.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 22, 2010 11:51 AM

I'd vote for hit by Peterbilt, but then I'm the one who never met a 50lb bag of cat sand or cat chow that she didn't try to hoist and haul. And then I wonder why my back and shoulders call me rude names for the next few days.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at March 22, 2010 02:27 PM

Spoken like a man who doesn't live in the woods :p
Posted by: Cassandra at March 22, 2010 06:48 AM

Sore subject. Actually, I used to be surrounded by trees until quite recently, at which time PennDOT in its questionable wisdom clear cut damned near everything. Apparently my property line is only a few feet from the house and they acquired they adjacent lot for a storm water basin to serve the Interstate highway that runs by. As a result, land that I had been led to believe was mine...is not. (I had a surveyor of my own confirm this) I had to take down my boat shed, from where I had graded and paved the area it once stood. Also, my (pre-existing) grey water tank was found to be 8' on the wrong side of the property line as well, so I had to have my plumbing re-routed to the cesspool. Now I'll be paying to get that emptied much more frequently. I did manage to get them to spare one old red oak, which I have no doubt has been growing there since George (Washington) and the boys hiked past on Gulph Road for their Winter bivouac in Valley Forge...

Posted by: camojack at March 23, 2010 03:40 AM

I have about 40 trees on my 3/4 acre, including about 20 that are over 60 feet tall. Maples, oaks, locust, spruce, pine, etc., etc. My neighbors' lots are similarly wooded. I live about a 5-iron from the largest forest preserve in Cook County, comprised of hundreds of acres of all manner of trees.

So, yeah; in the fall I rake up my leaves, in the spring I rake up other people's.

Posted by: RonF at March 23, 2010 03:36 PM