« Coffee Snorters, "Bombs Away!" Edition | Main | The Big, Scary Democrats and Their Evil "Map of Death".... »

March 31, 2010

Shocking, I Know

Bet you didn't see this one coming:

Lourdes, Madonna's 13-year-old daughter from her relationship with personal trainer Carlos Leon, has regularly been seen in unusual outfits.

And that has not gone down well with the Material Girl, whose own creations include revealing stage outfits, leotards and - perhaps most infamously - her Jean Paul Gaultierdesigned conical bra costume from her 1990 world tour.

Speaking of her daughter, Madonna said: 'If anything, I wish she'd dress more conservatively. How's that for irony?

'[Lourdes' style is] inspired by kids she sees in hip-hop and ballet classes, European influences, bands she listens to. You could say it's in the DNA - but I could never tell her how to dress.

Kids these days.

Posted by Cassandra at March 31, 2010 11:51 AM

Comments

Girls do not distinguish between fashion photo spreads or theatrical costumes, and everyday clothing. Mothers exist to enforce the difference while they learn.

Posted by: valerie at March 31, 2010 03:25 PM

I had to laugh at this one.

I grew up in the time of going braless, tube tops, flimsy halter tops (yeah, I learned to tie the back in a double knot pretty quickly) and very short shorts.

And my Dad sent me back to my room to change so many times that I lost count :p

Posted by: Cassandra at March 31, 2010 03:35 PM

The Parent's curse never fails: I hope you have children who act just like you did.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at March 31, 2010 03:36 PM

By the way, my Mom did too. But Dad was the acid test: if I could get out of the house when he was home, at least the top layer of clothing covered what it was designed to ...

Posted by: Cassandra at March 31, 2010 03:36 PM

Just wait until she finds the coffee table book, Yu-Ain.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 31, 2010 03:37 PM

"...distinguish between fashion photo spreads or theatrical costumes, and everyday clothing."

I saw a young man, about the age of a freshman in college, walking around the other day in a giant black trenchcoat festooned with spikes, chains, and D-rings. The coat looked like a refugee from Mad Max (or one of those lesbian bondage theme clubs I've been reading about).

The boy looked like a toothpick with freckles and acne.

It was one of the oddest mismatches I've ever seen.

Posted by: Grim at March 31, 2010 04:52 PM

She couldn't tell her how to dress, but she sure did show her...

Lourdes is just having a wardrobe malfunction, is all.

Posted by: Cricket at March 31, 2010 06:10 PM

The more things change, the more they stay the same - Madonna becomes a protective conservative mother. Too funny. A girl I dated in high school went a bit off the deep end in college ... and in the end her own children became more conservative that she ever was (graduating high school early, being involved in church youth groups). We can worry about the hellacious state of the world, and the country, and youth, in the short run, but nature, and humankind and youth, tend to regulate themselves over time ... and find balance.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 1, 2010 12:16 AM

Anytime I worry about the state of the world being "worse than it's ever been", I comfort myself with the fact that everyone in all times previously has thought the same. My brother pointed out an article to me about a decade ago where they had found a letter written in China from one bureaucrat to his brother in another province. The letter dated back over 1000 years ago (I can't remember exactly how old it was, but I remember it was over 1000 years).

In it, the bureaucrat complained how the young men "these days" have no respect or discipline. How all they want to do is drink and chase girls. They make trouble, start fights... you know... all the stuff we complain about young men doing these days.

In other words, it's a tale as old as humanity. As we get older, we decry the "kids these days" as being hoodlums, and nothing at all like how WE were at that age.

Posted by: MikeD at April 1, 2010 09:38 AM

"A girl I dated in high school went a bit off the deep end in college"

You should probably have stopped dating girls in college at that point. A community service.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 2, 2010 02:17 PM

I take great pride in advising you that I have successfully produced two male offspring - both Eagle Scouts, at least one of whom questions authority almost as much as his father. He is a future ruler of the universe.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 3, 2010 03:17 AM

I don't know why you are advising me on that.

It seemed to me that you were making a correlation to someone going off the end after you dated her. So des neh.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 3, 2010 10:26 AM

A wise old squadron-mate of mine, a naval aviator who was not altogether unacquainted with...let us say the customary manners and forms of debauchery such as is the wont of recently-minted holders of the Wings of Gold, related this story after the passing of years and its subsequent broadening of knowledge and experience. Well, that, and his present vantage point as the proud dad of two daughters:

"Take a look at the children of us flying folk, especially and in particular pilots. If you do this, you'll notice a disproportionate number of daughters. Why, you ask? Obvious -- this is the sound of God laughing. 'Remember those wild evenings of daring-do with young and willing maidens? Well, one of the next generation of those maidens being pursued by the next generation of aviators will be your daughter. Sweet dreams, Dad.'" ;)

Somewhere up there, I suspect God is chuckling a wee bit at the Material Girl turned Material Mom.

Posted by: scottkellyfa711 at April 8, 2010 12:40 PM