« Well That's a Relief... | Main | Obama's Glasnost Not Living Up to the Hype? »

April 13, 2010

A Moment of Silence

Please.

Posted by Cassandra at April 13, 2010 05:29 PM

Comments

Thank you Cass for putting this up. I have some friends that are suffering from the affects of that war and it's aftermath. Not many want to remember this or mostly the younger generation thinks it's ancient history. But we must never forget.
"Semper Fi"
Mike

Almost forgot a couple of my younger classmates from HS are on that Wall.

Posted by: Mike at April 13, 2010 06:07 PM

Remains: Body recovered
Casualty Type: Hostile, died outright
Casualty Reason: Ground casualty
Casualty Detail: Gun or small arms fire
URL: www.VirtualWall.org/df/FergusonWJ01a.htm
ON THE WALL Panel 13W Line 034

Warrren quit high school about half-way through our senior year. He started his tour on Christmas Eve, and was killed less than two months later, at age 18. Remembering this makes me very sad for his family, as I have an 18-year-old son myself.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 13, 2010 09:59 PM

cass, I call for many moments of silence, followed by sincere and grateful thanks to these warriors for giving all they had.

I was at the very tail end of that one, and had the good fortune to not get hurt or have anyone I served with get hurt.

Still on track.

Posted by: kbob in Katy, Republic of Texas at April 13, 2010 10:15 PM

I still remember the first boy I knew who was killed over there.

He lived down the street from me. I was a young girl. I had a terrible crush on him. He was beautiful.

I used to blush like crazy every time he even looked at me.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 13, 2010 10:18 PM

My uncle Mike's not on the wall. He was a Marine pathfinder. Went blind, years later; he thought due to Agent Orange. He killed himself not long after.

Posted by: Grim at April 13, 2010 11:04 PM

Oh Grim.

I am so sorry. I will say a prayer for him before I go to bed tonight.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 13, 2010 11:10 PM

Mike was a good lad. I remember him best at my grandfather's funeral -- my father in that dark suit I never saw him wear either before or after -- laughing and telling stories about the family's history. Mike was going blind, even then, yet it was a bright moment in spite of the sorrow of the occasion. I was shocked when I heard, later, what he had done.

Posted by: Grim at April 14, 2010 12:09 AM

Thirty-nine names from my company.

Thirteen from my tour -- I watched four fall from the sky while they were flying next to me and four more in front.

When you look at The Wall itself and see two officers or warrants grouped with two enlisted, that was a helicopter crew that died as they fought -- together.

Posted by: BillT at April 14, 2010 12:16 AM

I've long suspected the Guardian Angels you send were special.
Now I know why they always do they're jobs so well.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at April 14, 2010 02:02 AM

I saw the portable one last year, at Gettysburg College.

Posted by: camojack at April 14, 2010 03:47 AM

I went to the site to see the information on my grandmother’s neighbor’s son. My grandmother and her neighbor were close and I even saw pictures of “Kenny” before he left for Vietnam. There but there was another name there that caught me by surprise. It was the son of the cranky old man that lived next door to us during my childhood. I remember seeing him and his wife on their front porch the morning I left for my first duty station and thinking how glad he was not to have to worry about me climbing his fence and ruining his flowers anymore. I also remember his wife’s head on his shoulder. Well my Wednesday has started off with a bang.

Posted by: crazy mike at April 14, 2010 05:56 AM