« Must See of the Day | Main | He Felt So *Violated* »

April 19, 2010

Blogging

Guys, I am really sorry for the lack of posts lately.

I've been pretty upset lately and don't like to write when I feel like that. I just need some time to sort things out.

Thanks for your patience, your good humor, and above all your comments.

Posted by Cassandra at April 19, 2010 09:07 AM

Comments

Cassandra, there is one post you made about 'contra preferento'. Did you work as a paralegal at one time?

I am in the middle of writing my final paper for Business Law. At the risk of sounding like a total smarta**, the class was easy. I mean, I have pulled an A so far without trying. This scares me and should frighten everyone else.

Can we analyze my angst over that?

Comments welcome.

Posted by: Cricket at April 19, 2010 11:07 AM

I had the world's shortest "career" as a paralegal :p

Two jobs - one as an unpaid intern (which I loved!) and the other in a law office. The internship was a dream job - the attorney I worked for took the time to figure out what my strengths were and gave me challenging work to do. He gave me lots of rope but watched to make sure I wasn't in over my head and as a result I was able to accomplish quite a bit in a short time.

The law office was a disaster. I don't think I've ever been in a job where I was micromanaged more. There was no dissatisfaction with my work - in fact, my boss had the reputation of being a screamer and I was the only person in the office she never yelled at. But she didn't let me do anything a mildly confused chimp couldn't have done just as well.

I was so bored and frustrated that after redoing the filing system and collecting months of accounts that were in arrears, I individually polished every single leaf on the two silk ficus trees in the foyer.

Worst. Job. Ever :p

Posted by: Cassandra at April 19, 2010 11:52 AM

I would expect you to do well in law - you have that kind of mind, Cricket!

I loved my law classes. They forced me to think about every day things in a way I had never had to do - very much like Econ and math.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 19, 2010 11:54 AM

"..forced me to think about every day things in a way I had never had to do..."

Reminds me of getting married.....

Posted by: tomg51 at April 19, 2010 01:12 PM

Musical suggestions for mood enhancement and elevation: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly. Mozart, Bach, early Beatles, ...

Posted by: I Call BS at April 19, 2010 01:12 PM

early Beatles, ... Clifford Brown, Al Green, Aretha Franklin, Chet Atkins, Cream, Bob Marley, Chuck Berry, Lagwagon, P. Simon's Graceland, Sonny Rollins, The Who ...

Posted by: I Call BS at April 19, 2010 01:27 PM

Building on I Call BS, and nominating the first movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony as the piece of music that I become most completely lost in while listening. 13 minutes of building, anticipation, and pauses, leading up the best finale anchored by basses of all things. Unfortunately, too long for U-tube. Here is the last 5+ minutes. Skip to 4:26 if you have absolutely no time. This should be played at volumes that damage eardrums.
Beethoven's 7th, 1st Movement, second half
Anyway, it helps me. Worth a try?

Posted by: tomg51 at April 19, 2010 01:34 PM

My musical tastes are wide and varied, but for music with a great historical perspective - mostly Blues, as originally sung, I most heartily recommend

The site owner has put a lot of work into it, and it is definitely worth a listen or 10. I am in no way, shape or form affiliated with the site or personnel involved therein. I just like a lot of the music, and it is a chance to hear things that are legendary.

Cass, we all need a break now and then. If I were closer, I'd offer to take you flying. Great release and just a constant rush....provided you are not scared of small airplanes (which I guess is possible, but I imagine you are pretty feisty and adventurous.)

Lots of my friends say it's dangerous, but I have been doing it for many many hours and years with no bent metal, so its not THAT dangerous. And it is my release from the humdrum life for a few more months.

Posted by: kbob in Katy, Republic of TEXAS!!! at April 19, 2010 01:41 PM

1948 seems like another world...but who would have thought....

I have had this one on my drive for a while, but it never seemed so appropo as recently.....

Posted by: kbob in Katy at April 19, 2010 02:20 PM

Music - R. Vaughn Williams "Variations on a Theme by Thomas Tallis." Great music to get lost in. Or Tallis' own "Spem in Allium" aka "The 40 Part Motet" (which it is. You've never been lost until you've lost your part when there are 39 others going at once!)

Lack of Posting - we need to get together and compare notes, although my version of the "Dear Advisor Blues" is probably nothing compared to your headaches.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at April 19, 2010 02:32 PM

If you haven't tried it...

Posted by: crazy mike at April 19, 2010 02:41 PM

Music? I am slaving over a paper here and you people want music? Fine. 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun.'

An 80s moment.

Mike, I have been making captions at LOLcats for four years.

You r so deaded. Srsly.

I hear you about good bosses. Thanks for the nod about my mind. I am a recovering blond, so I need all the help I can get.

Posted by: Cricket at April 19, 2010 04:40 PM

PS. Tonight's dinner involved cleaning out the fridge and freezer. Scallops wrapped with bacon, secured by toothpicks, and roasted in the oven, and accompanied by a rice pilaf and a green salad enhanced by chopped fresh pears, pecans and blue cheese.

Dessert...I really want lemon bars. Must work up bribes for the CLUs to zest and juice same.

Posted by: Cricket at April 19, 2010 04:44 PM

Cricket,

I have some green bread to go with your blue cheese, plus a jar of salsa that looks like it is wearing the legendary technicolor dreamcoat....yum, eh?

Kbob

Posted by: kbob at April 19, 2010 05:52 PM

Take your time, Cass. We'll find a way to amuse ourselves.
Hey! Y'all quit hogging the remote!

Posted by: spd rdr at April 19, 2010 05:53 PM

Kbob, YUM!

heh. Compost or new secret weapon?

Posted by: Cricket at April 19, 2010 06:04 PM

spd, I loved Bruce Lee. That was...what, 'Return of the Dragon?' A Chuck Norris fact: Bruce Lee kicked him so hard he lost his back hair.

Norris wore Adidas to a martial arts battle?

Posted by: Cricket at April 19, 2010 06:14 PM

I guess I owe you Cricket, those captions have brought me back from the brink many times. It's really hard to stay flustrated when I go to LOL cats.

Posted by: crazy mike at April 19, 2010 07:16 PM

Or Tallis' own "Spem in Allium" aka "The 40 Part Motet"

Listening to Kronos' version of this now ... not sure it is what I'd choose if I were feeling low. How about "Until I met You (Corner Pocket)" by Manhattan Transfer? That always puts me in a good mood ("I never knew what love was all about until I met you").

Posted by: I Call BS at April 19, 2010 08:33 PM

Noes, u does not owe mes ennyfing. I does it for loves of kittehs and goggies. If my capshuns make peepul smile, it makes ceiling cat happy. Me too. That is, if capshuns makes it to votings and gets out of upcomings....

*shoves Measle Mutt off of lap*
Measle is a red tabby who is more dog than cat.

Posted by: Cricket at April 19, 2010 08:57 PM

Comment.

That's all I've got and now it's yours.

You're welcome.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at April 20, 2010 12:30 AM

Here are two books either of which may serve as a kind of refuge from the day-to-day.
There's "From Dawn to Decadence" by Jacques Barzun. Reading it is like curling up at the feet of a wise old uncle who just loves to tell you everything he knows about the history of art, literature and culture. He gets cranky about 4/5ths of the way through, and his prose gets a bit clotted. But the early parts are good stuff.
The other is "The Discovery of France" by Graham Robb. It's about "discovering" the conditions and circumstances that ordinary folk took for granted from about 1700 or so to about 1850. The author's goal is to show what life was really like for the vast bulk of the population, as opposed to the 300 or so major personalities that we usually read about when we study "French history." The book is easy to put down and pick up again, and it's *very* engrossing. The geography is very local, and accordingly pretty challenging, but your trusty computer can help you find the obscure little places--if you really care where they are.
Final remark: we lost our beloved wiener dog Penelope in the fall of 2005, and I miss her every day. But she'll be with me forever. Thanks for the "Buddies" picture. It brings back some memories.

Posted by: Jules Bernard at April 20, 2010 12:44 AM

Well, you certainly post more than I do, in any event. ;-)

Posted by: camojack at April 20, 2010 03:41 AM

OK, so I'm the red sheep in the family. Someone has to be ;)

Posted by: LittleRed1 at April 20, 2010 01:48 PM

Thanks for the recommendations, guys :) And the links.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 20, 2010 02:26 PM

I.C.BS., it may be different for someone who has performed the piece. I love M. Lauridsen's "Magnum Mysterium," and Tallis "If Ye Love Me," neither of which are exactly chipper, bouncy pieces. But they perk me up, probably as much because of the associations as well as the music and texts. OK, so I'm the red sheep in the family. Someone has to be ;) Posted by: LittleRed1 at April 20, 2010 01:48 PM

Better red than conventional and boring, I always say. I'll be looking into "Magnum Mysterium" and "If Ye Love Me"; thanks for the suggestions.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 20, 2010 08:36 PM