« Selective Outrage and the Catholic Church | Main | "We're All Ignorant Extremists Now...." »

April 05, 2010

Breathe Easy, America

The wrenching doubt that consumed us for so long has been swept away:

He may be the world's foremost mixed-race leader, but when it came to the official government head count, President Barack Obama gave only one answer to the question about his ethnic background: African-American.

The White House confirmed Friday that Obama did not check multiple boxes on his U.S. Census form, or choose the option that allows him to elaborate on his racial heritage. He ticked the box that says "Black, African Am., or Negro."

Suddenly this so-called "life" seems so empty; so devoid of purpose. Look for me after midnight. I'll be the one wandering aimlessly along the boulevard of post racial tristesse.

Posted by Cassandra at April 5, 2010 01:04 AM

Comments

Geez, he's *black*?

Does Michelle know?

Posted by: BillT at April 5, 2010 03:21 AM

Hey, better than than being a typical white person. You know how those people are :p

Posted by: Cassandra at April 5, 2010 05:45 AM

Well of course he did this. This is how he has conned his way through life.

This is not unexpected nor tragic. The tragedy is that we have this traitorous and dangerous imbecile, ignoramus and fraud lording over us and destroying us.

He and the vipers he "represents" are the worst threat this nation has ever had to endure.

I hope we survive them, but no matter the outcome we will be diminished and debased.

Posted by: Hattip at April 5, 2010 06:23 AM

I kind of think we'll have been smartened up -- but then, I'm just an incurable optimist.

Posted by: BillT at April 5, 2010 07:05 AM

Oooops. Silly me -- of course, Michelle knows...

Popcorn time.

Posted by: BillT at April 5, 2010 07:15 AM

Well, it isn't as if millions of people cried out in agony before they were obliterated from the universe...oh wait. Wrong movie.

I feel an Edith Piaf song coming on.

Posted by: Cricket at April 5, 2010 09:19 AM

I guess his grandmother is turning over in her grave.

Posted by: tomg51 at April 5, 2010 10:02 AM

I feel an Edith Piaf song coming on.

Hey!!! I thought mine was pretty Phrench! You don't find anomie like that just lounging around on street corners!

Posted by: Cassandra at April 5, 2010 10:11 AM

Obama actually is in a very small minority of Black citizens who can truthfully call themselves "African-American:"

His mother is from America and his father is from Africa.

E Pluribus Unum

Posted by: locomotivebreath1901 at April 5, 2010 10:50 AM

I consider myself African-American, since I believe homo sapiens originated in Africa. Beyond that, I've answered my last race-based question from my government. I can't think of any reason for such a question on a census form other than to assist in the racist gerrymandering of congressional districts.

In fact, since the enactment of the 14th Amendment, I can't see any good reason for a state, local, or federal government to be inquiring into racial origins. At most, one arm of government should be intervening to prevent another arm of government's inquiry of that kind.

Posted by: Texan99 at April 5, 2010 11:39 AM

Well, I'm glad someone came to their census. :)

By the way, where's Bthun been lately? I can't remember the last time his comments graced us with his wit and wisdom.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at April 5, 2010 11:47 AM

With that familiar tingling down his leg, poor Chris Matthews had to admit (upon hearing of Bari's Census marks): 'I Forgot Obama Was Black For An Hour'...

Posted by: ziobuck at April 5, 2010 12:21 PM

When it suits his purpose, BHO will become "white" before he was "black" as the consummate politician. In actuality he is a combination of the two: different shades of grey like the morning fog. You can see it but, like an apparition, you can't touch it.

Posted by: vet66 at April 5, 2010 12:25 PM

Much ado about nothing.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 5, 2010 01:04 PM

Oh come on, ICBS :p

You have to admit that this is funny:

It’s official: Obama is black
President checks black, not black and white, on census form

Dear God in heaven. With everything going on in the world, the media come up with a headline that rocks a waiting world.

I have not decided how I will celebrate yet but it will be something big. And splashy.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 5, 2010 01:18 PM

Don, I wrote him last week or maybe it was the week before. Perhaps he is doing springtime jobs for Walkin' Boss :)

Why don't you drop him a line? I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

I know what you mean though. I miss him an awful lot.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 5, 2010 01:20 PM

I wonder what it says on his birth certificate?

HA HA HA HA HA!!!! THAT"S A JOKE! GET IT?
A JOKE!

Posted by: spd rdr at April 5, 2010 02:48 PM

Aye yay yay, hombre... :p

Posted by: Chinese-Jewish-Mexican-American Lawn Chica at April 5, 2010 03:09 PM

The latest (silly) rumor I read on the intertubes was that Barack Obama was actually the son of Stanley Dunham (Stanley Ann's father) and a black woman of unknown identity, who was then purportedly raised as Stanley Ann's son and the offsrping of her boyfriend/first husband, Barack Obama.

Pretty wild, huh? It's only Chinatown, Jake.

But I do sometimes wonder what it sez on his birth certificate.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at April 5, 2010 03:19 PM

Oui, juene fille Cass. 'Owevaire, Veelinoos Coompanee is no...blog ordinaire.

Posted by: Criquette at April 5, 2010 04:59 PM

People said Bush made America look bad. And then they elected Obama. So now they say Republicans make America look back.

What happened to the fact that Obama has slandered America, humiliated us in the world, and insulted everybody that actually cared for American values?

Oh, Tea Party terrorists, their fault.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 5, 2010 06:14 PM

His mother is from America and his father is from Africa.

And his brother is living on 12 bucks a year in Kenya while Obama flies around in jets and helicopters.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 5, 2010 06:15 PM

Half brother, George. And several other half-siblings that live in Kenya. The press is strangely incurious about the whole thing, aren't they? Not to mention Aunt Zetuni, whose residence in the USA is...a question mark?

George the half=brother; same father (Barack Obama Sr.), different mother. Like his half sister whose father was Soertoro's daughter.

What a truly ODD family. But not that there's anything wrong with that! :)

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at April 5, 2010 06:34 PM

I wonder what it says on his birth certificate?
HA HA HA HA HA!!!! THAT"S A JOKE! GET IT?
A JOKE!
Posted by: spd rdr at April 5, 2010 02:48 PM

Good one. As for me, I wrote "American" under "Other" race. I guess they'll be coming to see me. ;-)

Posted by: camojack at April 5, 2010 08:50 PM

Camo...me also! :(

Posted by: ziobuck at April 5, 2010 11:44 PM

Camo...me also! :(
Posted by: ziobuck at April 5, 2010 11:44 PM

Heh. They have no idea what they're getting into...

Posted by: camojack at April 6, 2010 01:06 AM

That's the kind of man he is.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 6, 2010 01:26 AM

Not to mention Aunt Zetuni, whose residence in the USA is...a question mark?

Still living in Boston on the public dime, and still with an expired visa.

Posted by: BillT at April 6, 2010 04:07 AM

Obama doesn't even have the balls to make a Mafioso corruption racket with his blood relatives. That's the kind of man he is. Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 6, 2010 01:26 AM

You can't always get what you want ... but if you try sometime, you might find, that you get what you need.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 6, 2010 03:03 PM

You definitely need an application of obama's amorality, IC.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 6, 2010 04:57 PM

Quite frankly, had I been in the WH I'd have told people "Census data is confidential, even mine."

Posted by: RonF at April 6, 2010 05:06 PM

Oh yes, Michelle knew he's black.

Posted by: Noel at April 7, 2010 04:09 AM

I say with a Blue Hawaiian. I'm buying. Friday night work for you?

As for my census...I put "human" under "Race". Other than that, the only other thing I filled out on that form was the number of people living in this house.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at April 7, 2010 04:12 AM

Friday night sounds great, HF6 :) I'm looking forward to seeing you!

Posted by: Cassandra at April 7, 2010 11:00 AM

Uh-oh.

The last time you did that, the blog smelled like Curaçao and coconut for a week...

Posted by: BillT at April 7, 2010 11:47 AM

Pay no attention to the man with the 27" zipper. He's just jealous that he won't be there.

*psst...Bill...how'd ya get the little hangy thing below the 'c'???*

Posted by: HomefrontSix at April 7, 2010 01:27 PM

The hangy thing? It's called a cedilla -- or, as Boq would say, "suh-DEE-yuh."

Easy enough to make -- you just type a capital C, then grab the lower portion of it with the cursor and drag it down so the extra pixels from the capital extend in a line below the letter. Give the cursor a 90º clockwise twist, hold it for a count of three and release it slowly, and *poof* the C becomes a ç!

I'm soooooooo going to hell for that one...

Posted by: BillT at April 7, 2010 02:13 PM

I don't know how Bill did it but you can do it by holding the 'Alt' key while typing '0231'.

You can get a lot of weird characters that way. But sometimes not all characters can be represented in all fonts so you take your chances sometimes as to what will actually show up.

Posted by: ¥û÷Åîñ Ģøńņăŋő at April 7, 2010 02:30 PM

Forgot. You can find all those characters in the Character Map: Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map.

Posted by: ¥û÷Åîñ Ģøńņăŋő at April 7, 2010 02:37 PM

Yop. Just like Chew-Ain Geronimo sez.

Or you can take the easy route, HF6 -- check the e-mail that you should have read about an hour ago...

Posted by: BillT at April 7, 2010 03:23 PM

...because I don't think your fingers are long enough to hold down 0321+alt and enter all at the same time.

Posted by: BillT at April 7, 2010 03:30 PM

You don't know WHAT I can and cannot do with my fingers ;-) Got your email :)

Posted by: HomefrontSix at April 7, 2010 03:57 PM

*peering around for the ten-foot pole with which I wouldn't touch that line*

Posted by: BillT at April 7, 2010 04:34 PM