« Why Can't America Be More Like Mexico? | Main | Rush Hour Traffic? »

April 28, 2010

I'm So Going to Pay for This....

But it's totally worth it:

A third of pet-owning married women said their pets are better listeners than their husbands, according to an Associated Press-Petside.com poll released Wednesday. Eighteen percent of pet-owning married men said their pets are better listeners than their wives.

Christina Holmdahl, 40, talks all the time to her cat, two dogs or three horses—about her husband, naturally.

"Whoever happens to be with me when I'm rambling," said Holmdahl, who's stationed with her husband at Fort Stewart in Georgia. "A lot of times, I'm just venting about work or complaining about the husband."

She thinks everyone should have a pet to talk to like her horse, Whistle, who's been with her since she was 19.

"We all say things we don't mean when we are upset about stuff," she said. "When we have time to talk it out and rationalize it, we can think about it better and we can calm down and see both sides better."

Of course you knew there were worse things than coming in second to a horse, didn't you?

It would be a toss-up whether Bill Rothschild would take a problem to his wife of 19 years or the animal he considers a pet—a palm-sized crayfish named Cray Aiken. His daughter brought it home four years ago at the end of a second grade science project.

Rothschild, 44, of Granite Springs, N.Y., considers Cray a better listener than his wife, "absolutely. She doesn't listen worth anything." He doesn't get much feedback from the crustacean, but it's been a different story over the years with family dogs and cats.

"You definitely feel much more comfortable sharing your problems with them," he said. "A little lick from a big dog can go a long way."

Put the keyboard down, Cass, and back away slooooooooooooowly.

CWCID: spd

Posted by Cassandra at April 28, 2010 07:16 PM

Comments

I find that horses and wives are equally good at listening after you pick up the lunge whip. :)

Posted by: Grim at April 28, 2010 08:29 PM

My wife was perfectly capable of pulling the 9MM and staring me down. Whips! Not good enough!

Posted by: philip at April 28, 2010 09:44 PM

So is mine, except she carries a 10mm Automatic. But she'd miss me, so I'm good. :)

Posted by: Grim at April 28, 2010 09:50 PM

Not that she'd miss the shot, that is: I mean, she'd miss me, so I'm OK. :)

Posted by: Grim at April 28, 2010 09:56 PM

Men ...

*shaking head* :)

Posted by: Cassandra at April 28, 2010 10:22 PM

We love you too. :)

Posted by: Grim at April 28, 2010 10:25 PM

I am still howling over that article. So many good lines:

the animal he considers a pet—a palm-sized crayfish named Cray Aiken....

Aye yay yay...

Posted by: Cassandra at April 28, 2010 10:40 PM

What's a little football humor between friends? :)

Posted by: Grim at April 28, 2010 10:42 PM

With the dogs, at least I actually get to *say* something.

I'm gonna get hurt for that, aren't I?

Posted by: BillT at April 29, 2010 12:07 AM

I saw that article and couldn't believe how ridiculous it was. :P

Posted by: FbL at April 29, 2010 01:19 AM

Good listeners, heck. Often my pups have more to say to me than the NPH does! He's what you call economical in conversation.

Posted by: Texan99 at April 29, 2010 01:19 AM

"A third of pet-owning married women said their pets are better listeners than their husbands..."

They may believe their pets are better listeners than their husbands...simply because their pets don't argue with them about anything.

People have this tendency to believe that which they wish to be true...

Posted by: camojack at April 29, 2010 01:29 AM

People have this tendency to believe that which they wish to be true...

*Ding, ding, ding!* We have a winner! Because if their husband IS a good listener, then maybe hubby is not the problem. :P

Posted by: FbL at April 29, 2010 01:38 AM

Camo, how many times have you been married? :D

Our big old yellow lab is very attached to my wife, but i don't know if she confides any big secrets to him. He hasn't told me anything I didn't already know.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at April 29, 2010 08:06 AM

I can't say I ever told my problems to Sausage but then I didn't have to.

When I got upset, he was always there to offer a cold, wet nose in commiseration :p

Posted by: Cassandra at April 29, 2010 08:26 AM

Only a third?

Posted by: Mr. Bingley at April 29, 2010 09:12 AM

Posted by: spd rdr at April 29, 2010 12:37 PM

My wife talks to the dog all the time.

"Get out of that flowerbed, you knucklehead beast!"

Posted by: Grim at April 29, 2010 12:43 PM

Hoo boy... you guys are on a roll today!

Posted by: Cassandra at April 29, 2010 12:46 PM

Well, you know what they say: A horse is a horse, of course, of course...

Posted by: Cousin Dave at April 29, 2010 02:22 PM

Maybe that explains Clint Eastwood's problem. "I talk to the trees, but they don't listen to me . . ."

Posted by: LittleRed1 at April 29, 2010 02:24 PM

"I talk to the wind,
My words are all carried away,
I talk to the wind,
The wind does not hear.
The wind cannot hear."

Figured you'd appreciate that, Cass.

Posted by: Cousin Dave at April 29, 2010 04:48 PM

The poll also found that 100% of the pets surveyed said that their owners were nuts, but a good source of protein. Posted by: spd rdr at April 29, 2010 12:37 PM

At my house, we sometimes discuss which of us the dog would eat first, ya know, if something were to happen to us (like food poisoning from one of the delectible dinners Mrs. ICBS sometimes serves us). I like to think he'd eat the others first and save me for last, seein's how I used to walk him for at least an hour every day, 'n he's all loyal to me 'n stuff.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 29, 2010 08:28 PM

People have this tendency to believe that which they wish to be true...
Posted by: FbL at April 29, 2010 01:38 AM

Communication is key...and as you say, hubby is not always the problem.

Camo, how many times have you been married? :D
Posted by: Don Brouhaha at April 29, 2010 08:06 AM

Ooh, a personal question! I've been married a few times; the first couple way too quickly, such that I had to find out the hard way that it was way too quickly. Third time around I waited until I was with her a couple of years before getting married, but her agenda did not coincide with mine...about which I was always quite forthcoming. Communication is key.

Of course, I also realize that one thing that all of my failed marriages have in common is myself. I've been seeing the gal I'm with now for longer than any of those marriages lasted, though, and will probably "take the plunge" yet again if things continue as smoothly as they been. If she'll have me, that is...

Posted by: camojack at April 30, 2010 03:41 AM

We would listen so much better if women would pet us while they talk to us. :)

Posted by: Tony at April 30, 2010 04:59 PM

OK, that was funny :p

And very likely true.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 30, 2010 05:23 PM

"We would listen so much better if women would pet us while they talk to us. :)"

Don't sweat the petty things.
And never pet the sweaty things.

Posted by: Snarkammando at May 1, 2010 12:56 PM