« Obama's Glasnost Not Living Up to the Hype? | Main | Major Schadenfreude Alert »

April 14, 2010

Men of VC: Take Note!

While you are hoovering the carpet, the little lady is covertly assessing your mad bedroom skills:

If someone wants to know how some other person performs between the sheets, he/she should look how they clean the home, says Donna Dawson, a psychologist who specializes in personality.

She said: "An activity where you choose to do something in a particular way can provide an insight into your, or your partner's personality - and this is definitely true of vacuuming."

Dawson's study, for the Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner company, found there are five personality types.

"The "Dasher" likes to speed around with the vacuum cleaner, usually missing bits. This person is impatient, ambitious and fast-talking - not the type to take their time in bed.

"In contrast the "Methodical" always vacuums the same way, and would never dream of shortening the time it normally takes. In life, they tend to be reliable and cautious and prefer to take things slowly between the sheets.

"The "Grafter" looks forward to vacuuming as a physical release from stress. They tend to be hard-working and tenacious - and are happy to please their partner.

"The "Drifter" doesn't notice whether they are picking up the dirt. This type tends to be dreamy and self-absorbed, and in bed can seem distant or detached.

"The "Protester" uses vacuuming to display displeasure. They crash around, bumping into pieces of furniture - and when it comes to sex they are sometimes selfish and prefer their partner to do most of the work," reports The Daily Express. (ANI)

Of course if you never touch a vacuum cleaner....

Posted by Cassandra at April 14, 2010 08:17 AM

Comments

My wife has told me not to vacuum, say things like "You don't know how I want it done" or "I rather do it myself". The symbolism of those terms associated with the article has shaken my confidence a little. On the bright side at least she never said "I'll get a professional to clean the carpet".

Posted by: crazy mike at April 14, 2010 11:15 AM

*snort*

So what does it mean if she asks for a Roomba?

/and I'm outta here!!!!

Posted by: Cassandra at April 14, 2010 11:21 AM

KtLW has always said that I'm the only one she's ever found who vacuums the carpet to her satisfaction.

Of course, she also says that about my dusting, window washing, yard work, painting, floor polishing, kitchen cleanup...

Posted by: BillT at April 14, 2010 11:58 AM

I wonder how Dirt Devil thinks they are going to use this information to market their products?

Or perhaps they are considering expansion into what they may now view as an adjacent market...

Posted by: david foster at April 14, 2010 12:03 PM

A man's work is never done...

Posted by: Cassandra at April 14, 2010 12:07 PM

A man's work is never done...

Not if he does it correctly!

Posted by: I Call BS at April 14, 2010 12:20 PM

But we don't know how the 'Grafter' likes to vacuum. If they see it as a release from stress, then they could be Methodical Dashers too.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Cricket at April 14, 2010 01:37 PM

Psychology? Nah, voodoo for me.

Posted by: Mark at April 14, 2010 01:41 PM

So what does it mean if she asks for a Roomba?

Probably not as much as if his preferred method is to just throw the old carpet out and replace it with a newer one. :-)

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 14, 2010 01:49 PM

"Roomba" sounds scary, like when she decides that she doesn't need a carpet anymore.

Posted by: crazy mike at April 14, 2010 02:04 PM

Let me take a wild guess (without cheating by reading the article). This "study" was commissioned by Electrolux, Hoover, Dyson, or some other vacuum cleaner company.

Posted by: MikeD at April 14, 2010 02:15 PM

Nah, Roomba's work just find on bare floors.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 14, 2010 02:47 PM

For *er* "aspirational" prowess, I hope that whichever model you pick, doesn't garner a THIRD PLACE TROPHY.

Posted by: Boquisucio at April 14, 2010 03:13 PM

Sometimes a vacuum is just a vacuum, ya know?

What next, an Orvis article on how much you can tell about a woman's performance based on her fly fishing method?

Posted by: tom at April 14, 2010 03:39 PM

Hotel housekeepers are all protesters. I know that they are the only beings in the world that can take a vacuum from zero to sixty in 10' and stop as they embed a dime into the base board!

Tom, you need to go fishing more! :) Oh and be sure to take the little woman with you too. you know, for research.

Posted by: TC at April 14, 2010 05:48 PM

Sometimes a vacuum is just a vacuum, ya know?

Thank you, Dr. Freud.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 14, 2010 08:29 PM

Vacuuming sucks.

Posted by: camojack at April 15, 2010 01:11 AM

Nah, Roomba's work just find on bare floors.

How about on visqueen?

Posted by: BillT at April 15, 2010 04:55 AM

What's it say about me if I use a "Rainbow" [manufacturer] vacuum cleaner??? Hmmmmm.

Based on this new article I've decided to use my trusty shop vac to help out the lil' lady...

Posted by: ziobuck at April 15, 2010 11:45 AM

Sure... "If she grabs the rod really hard..." :)

Posted by: Tony at April 16, 2010 02:49 PM