« He Felt So *Violated* | Main | OK, You Asked For It, Mike... »

April 20, 2010

Aye, Chihuahua...

This quote, from a college girl who decided that hooking up was eroding her self respect, caught my eye:

Vanderbilt student Boyle says her decision she made at the end of her freshman year to quit hooking up came with criticism. She is still surrounded by friends and peers who do it.

She's already lost some guy friends who couldn't understand her decision. But Boyle counters, "They probably weren't my friends anyway."

Wow. What was your first clue?

Posted by Cassandra at April 20, 2010 08:59 AM

Comments

Slow news day?

Posted by: BillT at April 20, 2010 12:36 PM

It's interesting - I've seen a spate of this kind of article lately (FLASH!!!! KIDS TURNING AGAINST SEX/PROMISCUITY!!!!).

I just found the "probably" in the bolded statement amusing. Hint: if you describe BoyX as a "f*** buddy", there's a good chance your scintillating conversation was not the main attraction :)

If this is what passes for deep thought among the GenX set, we're in deep trouble.

Posted by: Helloooo Captain Obvious.... at April 20, 2010 12:50 PM

Hey hey hey! The college kids these days are actually Gen Y if not Gen Z... my generation (*shudder*) has all it's own problems. Don't foist those children off on us.

Posted by: MikeD at April 20, 2010 12:58 PM

Mostly the Gen Y crowd doesn't want them either. The term I hear most often is 'Millenials'.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 20, 2010 01:35 PM

As in "heralds the coming of the Millennium?" From what I've seen around local high school campi, I'd agree with that assessment.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at April 20, 2010 01:41 PM

"Gen Y Not?" would be appropriate...

Posted by: BillT at April 20, 2010 01:44 PM

And before ya'll get all 'judgemental-y', I do recall a certain generation and their "Age of Aquarius" nonsense.

Posted by: MikeD at April 20, 2010 02:41 PM

Age of Aquarius had a motive. Drop out, tune in and turn on. Be free. Eat brown rice. Live dangerously; live at Berkeley.

Posted by: Cricket at April 20, 2010 03:59 PM

Oh, you will pay for that one Mike darlin'. Oh yes... you will *pay* :D

Posted by: Cassandra at April 20, 2010 04:04 PM

Age of Aquarius had a motive. Eat brown rice.

Gardening. It was to usher in the Age of Asparagus.

Posted by: BillT at April 20, 2010 04:29 PM

When my father's health was failing and he had developed a bit of aphasia, his friends teased him about staging a mild stroke so that he could get a helicopter ride to the hospital. He complained to my sister that they were "throwing asparagus" at him -- his brain's rendition of "casting aspersions." It's what I always think of now when I hear either "aspersions" or "asparagus."

But now I've got "this is the dawning of the Age of Asparagus" in my head. Thanks a lot. My husband's singing it, too.

Posted by: Texan99 at April 20, 2010 07:55 PM

Asparagus and brown rice pilaf. It's what's for dinner in the seventh house.

Posted by: Cricket at April 21, 2010 12:13 AM

Damn...another missed opportunity.

Seriously though, does anyone consider the STD factor nowadays?

Posted by: camojack at April 21, 2010 01:35 AM