« Congress and White House "Premature and Irresponsible"? | Main | I'm So Going to Pay for This.... »

April 28, 2010

Why Can't America Be More Like Mexico?

Funny how no one - least of all enraged hispanic groups - ever asks that question:

“Having traveled into Mexico last year to various cities on the Baja Peninsula, a distance of more than 1,000 miles round-trip, we were stopped more than 20 times at various checkpoints. At most of those stops, we were told to exit the vehicle and we were subjected to rigorous inspections. Where does Mexican President Felipe Calderón get off with his hypocritical outrage at our Senate Bill 1070?”

Maybe we should outsource our Border Patrol operations to Mexico:

– The Mexican government will bar foreigners if they upset “the equilibrium of the national demographics.” How’s that for racial and ethnic profiling?

If outsiders do not enhance the country’s “economic or national interests” or are “not found to be physically or mentally healthy,” they are not welcome. Neither are those who show “contempt against national sovereignty or security.” They must not be economic burdens on society and must have clean criminal histories. Those seeking to obtain Mexican citizenship must show a birth certificate, provide a bank statement proving economic independence, pass an exam and prove they can provide their own health care.

Illegal entry into the country is equivalent to a felony punishable by two years’ imprisonment. Document fraud is subject to fine and imprisonment; so is alien marriage fraud. Evading deportation is a serious crime; illegal re-entry after deportation is punishable by ten years’ imprisonment. Foreigners may be kicked out of the country without due process and the endless bites at the litigation apple that illegal aliens are afforded in our country (see, for example, President Obama’s illegal alien aunt — a fugitive from deportation for eight years who is awaiting a second decision on her previously rejected asylum claim).

Law enforcement officials at all levels — by national mandate — must cooperate to enforce immigration laws, including illegal alien arrests and deportations. The Mexican military is also required to assist in immigration enforcement operations. Native-born Mexicans are empowered to make citizens’ arrests of illegal aliens and turn them in to authorities.

– Ready to show your papers? Mexico’s National Catalog of Foreigners tracks all outside tourists and foreign nationals. A National Population Registry tracks and verifies the identity of every member of the population, who must carry a citizens’ identity card. Visitors who do not possess proper documents and identification are subject to arrest as illegal aliens.

Their government appears willing and able to do the jobs our own government won't do. Oh, the humanity!

Update: Dear Lord, give me strength....

Standing near potted trees and bushes for sale at a Home Depot in east Phoenix, Diaz, 35, says he may follow three families in his neighborhood who moved to New Mexico because of the law. He says a friend is finding plenty of work in Dallas.

Diaz says he has too much to lose by staying - he's supporting a wife and infant son back home in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, across the border from El Paso, Texas.

"They depend on me to survive," he says. "I'm not going to wait for police to come and arrest me."

Well. That'll certainly show 'em.

Go Maryland.

Posted by Cassandra at April 28, 2010 04:36 PM

Comments

La Raza insists that the southwestern states should all be returned to Mexican sovereignty. I think they deserve a personal preview of what they're wishing for...

Posted by: BillT at April 28, 2010 04:56 PM

OK ... but Mexico does not have Constitutional or legal protections like those in our Constitution. I won't go to Mexico because it is too freaking dangerous and because I think that the natitonal, state and local law enforcement are all corrupt and incapable of maintaining law and order. So there.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 28, 2010 05:06 PM

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 28, 2010 05:22 PM

Posted by: spd rdr at April 28, 2010 05:23 PM

Two words.

Mexican. Jails.

You don't *ever* want to be in one -- ever.

Posted by: BillT at April 28, 2010 05:24 PM

Mexico's way too corrupt. It doesn't matter what it says there. If you got money, you are going in. That's why they keep the poor and the riff raff away. Also, poor folk tend to be hard to keep under control, as the various rebellions in those mexican towns a year or so ago proved. Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 28, 2010 05:22 PM

This is often what happens in the aftermath of colonialism, and in countries formerly (and/or still) run by hereditary despots.

Posted by: I Call BS at April 28, 2010 06:01 PM

For my taste, I sooner visit hell before Mexico.

Posted by: mag at April 28, 2010 06:32 PM

I read somewhere that Cass was visiting Arizona.

Is this a coincidence or what?

'Course it could also be said that the ultimate destination for Mexicans is Canada and they just got caught up in the US and ran out of money.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at April 29, 2010 01:05 AM

Addressing the post as written, I think the real plan is for America to become more like Argentina. That is the underlying fiscal outcome of the present rate of deficit spending.

No matter what, the times, they are a changin'.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at April 29, 2010 01:12 AM

Haven't we outsourced enough to Mexicans/Mexico?

Now you want them to do the jobs that Homeland Security won't do...

Posted by: camojack at April 29, 2010 01:32 AM

I have never been so proud to be an Arizonan! First this, then the free ability to carry weapons by the citizenry, concealed or otherwise, makes me believe that not all americans have lost their damned minds. If I wanted Obama's communism, I would never have left the Soviet Bloc. God Bless America.

Posted by: a former european at April 29, 2010 04:30 AM

Obama a communist? Say it isn't so!!

Ron Paul says he ia a corporatist (which is just a hop, skip and a jump from Mussolini style fascism, I guess).

Is this the Chicago way?

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at April 29, 2010 08:02 AM

It isn't so. Valerie P is one though.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 29, 2010 10:36 AM

I did mission work in the Sierra Madre back, oh, (gulp!) 21 years ago now. It was a farming community, as much as you can farm with 15" of rain and no irrigation because of the terrain. All the men wanted work, but could not find it in the country, so they headed north. Several said they wouldn't live in the US because it was too cold and the food was lousy. These were men in their 30s, so it's probably not a representative sample.

Coming out we didn't get stopped, but Border Patrol called the passport office to confirm my ID because I was the only one without a driver's license. The Australian visas in my passport may also have raised an eyebrow or two. Even 10 years ago I wouldn't go back. Now? I don't even want to go within 50 miles of the Border. The Third World has migrated, La Santa Muerte and all.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at April 29, 2010 02:23 PM

AFE:
I'm also a proud Arizonan(!) for the reasons you mentioned AND that it's just 'hot enough' at times to keep the whiny riffraff away. :)

Not too pleased that top Pima Country (Tucson)Sheriff, Clarence Dupnik, called the recent bill "stupid" and said he wouldn't enforce it (gosh, who cares if 70% of Arizonans favor it, ...and...he swore an oath to uphold the law). What does this signal to 'law abiding' citizenry?

Posted by: ziobuck at April 29, 2010 03:33 PM

Hey Ziobuck! You need to get a great sheriff like we have up here in Maricopa County. Sheriff Joe (Arpaio) gets the libs frothing at the mouth insane by simply enforcing the laws (gasp!).

My favorite Sheriff Joe story took place a few years back. One of the lefty judges demanded that criminals be released from prison because of the usual whiny crap, i.e. "overcrowding", lack of cable TV, jacuzzis, or whatever. Sheriff Joe saw that we live in a desert with lots of available land for dirt cheap, and so he created Tent City to house all the poor, overcrowded little lambs from County Jail.

The lefties went nuts, screaming about how "inhumane" it was to put prisoners in tents in the desert without air-conditioning in an Arizona Summer. Sheriff Joe simply pointed out that thousands of hard-working fellows in the construction industry work in that same heat on a daily basis, so the libs should just STFU. God I love Sheriff Joe.

Posted by: a former european at April 29, 2010 03:46 PM

AFE: I too love Sheriff Joe. He's been on TV a lot lately. Man, the MSM sure hate him! I understand where ever he goes he's followed by some hostile group protesting his stand against illegal immigrants. He says, "I just enforce the law. If you don't like it, change the law." (Makes sense to me.)

He doesn't let much bother him, even when they beat a pinata JOE in effigy. Saw some local public defender talking smack about him to a sympathetic group last year. Of course there were quite a few Arizonans who wanted that public defender reprimanded for her inappropriate comments. Don't think that happened, as I remember.

Posted by: ziobuck at April 29, 2010 05:14 PM