« I Don't Care Who You Are... | Main | Michael Yon and the Benefit of the Doubt »

April 21, 2010

Wickedly Funny

You're so vain
You probably think this war is about you
You're so vain
I'll bet you think this war is about you
Don't you? Don't you?

Sometimes, satire is the best way to get your point across.

Posted by Cassandra at April 21, 2010 08:14 PM

Comments

Carly Simon will be suing for copyright infringement and Mick Jagger wil sue for defamation.

Posted by: Mike Myers at April 21, 2010 10:10 PM

My guess (Michael Yon) was apparently correct.

Posted by: camojack at April 22, 2010 01:16 AM

I'm of two minds here. A small part of me finds that funny but the bigger part of me is just sad. It breaks my heart to watch this whole thing go south. And it breaks my heart that people I respect do what (in my opinion) amounts to ganging up on a guy who seems to have lost track of the real purpose behind his work. I'm not pointing fingers and I understand (for the most part) the dynamics behind it all. It's just sad.

Ultimately, as Carrie said elsewhere, "he isn't the story. Those that are serving ARE. He needs to remember that."

But it's still just sad.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at April 22, 2010 05:04 AM

...it breaks my heart that people I respect do what (in my opinion) amounts to ganging up on a guy who seems to have lost track of the real purpose behind his work. I'm not pointing fingers and I understand (for the most part) the dynamics behind it all. It's just sad.

I have a lot I wanted to say about this, HF6. I haven't been able to decide whether I should say it, or if so how to say it.

I have a real problem with the way Yon does business. I always have.

And it really bothers me that so many folks read him and don't question some of the things he says. So I imagine I will write about this after all, God help me.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 22, 2010 05:58 AM

I've dealt with Yon in Iraq, though I'm sure he doesn't know it. I'm not going to say anything; but if he keeps shouting from the rooftops, my silence won't protect him.

Posted by: Grim at April 22, 2010 07:39 AM

Yon has been awfully spun up ever since the incident in Seattle where the TSA lackeys arrested him. I can understand being pissed about that, but why take it out on the military guys? Although I must say that that Canadian general is a real piece of work, so Yon's got a point there.

Posted by: Cousin Dave at April 22, 2010 09:44 AM

"I'm not pointing fingers and I understand (for the most part) the dynamics behind it all. It's just sad."

It always hurts when people confuse other people's boundaries and personal space, shared space, as their own, to do with as they please.

That's because it motivates people to strike back in kind. Arguing about it doesn't do anything except escalate issues.

The more Yon talks about what he needs (another imbed from McChrystal) in public, the more he doesn't get what he needs. The more he starts endangering what Everybody Else in the theater and back home needs. The Less likely it is that Yon gets what he says he needs. And the more likely that he will then strike out at those he perceives as preventing him from getting what he needs, when everybody else is now motivated to strike at Yon because Yon is now preventing them from getting what they need.

What they need to survive. Luxuries can be negotiated, sacrificed, or given away. Basic necessities, not so much.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 22, 2010 11:46 AM

What HFS dances around is what we're all dancing around.

In a sense, we were trying an intervention, to get his attention. It was at best a 50/50 chance it would work, because of the bubble nature of the 'net.

And we're a little hamstrung, because we "don't" want to truly gang up on Yon. There are many of us who have stories like Grim has stories, and none of us are telling them, precisely because... we don't want to destroy or even damage Mike.

We want him to take a step back and think it through.

Posted by: John (Master of Inanity) Donovan at April 22, 2010 11:53 AM

John (and Grim, and everyone else who has a story): I figured there was much more to all of this than what is seen on my computer screen. And I believe, based on Mike's behavior of late, that the "intervention" was/is warranted. Like Cass, there is a lot about his work that I do not like or agree with.

I think the part that gets me the most is the fact that he seems to be squandering an incredible opportunity to truly be a voice of those downrange - now and in the recent past. And to watch it play out publicly on the internet (and now, possibly, in the courtroom) is like watching a train wreck in slow motion. And it sucks, for lack of a better term.

Like I said, it's just sad.

And I'm not sure I was clear in my original comment...I firmly believe that Mike has brought all of this ("this" being the intervention) upon himself. Please don't think I was placing blame anywhere else.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at April 22, 2010 06:34 PM

Oh for Pete's sake:

[Ed. note: Last part of comment removed. I thought better of this. It was a cheap shot and I shouldn't have said it.]

Posted by: Cassandra at April 22, 2010 06:48 PM

What point would that be?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 23, 2010 07:44 AM

Yon did not start these wars, he does not conceive or execute the strategy, tactics, politics, contracts or end-game of these wars, Yon writes about and photographs these wars. There that clears that up.

When the security and national interests of the world's dominant economic, technological and military power rest on its ability to understand a tribal mindset, it represents a systematic failure of governance at all levels. Now that's a an issue worth getting into a tizzy about.

Posted by: brad at April 23, 2010 09:44 AM

Yes yes...Michael Yon...smartest guy in the room....any room....military personnel too dumb to appreciate Michael....blah blah blah,

Posted by: Carrie at April 23, 2010 11:35 AM

LGF, smartest guy on the Left. He picked Obama's thugocracy because he was scared pantless by Sarah Palin's theocracy.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 25, 2010 06:43 AM