« "Milbloggers" Not United on DADT Repeal | Main | Next Time You Have a Thought, Senator... »

May 14, 2010

Stranger Danger!!!!

Remember when we were kids? Not only did we have to keep an eye out for our parents when we were doing something stupid - we had to watch out for teachers, our parents' friends, and even total strangers who took an interest in our well being. Today? Not so much:

Erie police say a man initially suspected of trying to lure children into his truck was actually a roofer who had stopped to scold the children for standing in the street as he drove to work.

Erie police aren’t identifying the man who reportedly approached the children in his truck Wednesday. Police say four children, ages 7, 9, 10 and 14, told a parent that two men in the truck tried to abduct them as they walked to school.

Because a man who worries about the safety of children is obviously up to no good.

*sigh*

Posted by Cassandra at May 14, 2010 08:21 AM

Comments

*snerk*

The finger-pickin's a bit rough, as is the vocal rendition, buuuuut...

Posted by: BillT at May 14, 2010 10:26 AM

Boy-Oh-Boy, it's been a while since I heard that song ... er, rather since I heard the original (I never heard this ("substantially" re-written) version, actually). Classic Tom Paxton ("Talking Vietnam Potluck Blues"). http://www.sendspace.com/file/8alzsc

Posted by: pond at May 14, 2010 10:47 AM

Stay away from men.

(Coincidentally, this will also fix the population problem. Problem being there's too many humans alive on this planet)

Posted by: Ymarsakar at May 14, 2010 11:00 AM

When I was quite small, a friend and I heard somewhere about hitchhiking and decided to play around with the idea on the nearest corner. A lady stopped and invited us to get in the car. Suddenly it didn't seem so funny! Then she gave us a little lecture about what a bad idea it was to get into strangers' cars. She made a real impression on me. I never hitchhiked again until I was fully grown, and even then not when I was alone.

Posted by: Texan99 at May 14, 2010 11:01 AM

"Talkin' blues" is actually an entire subset of folk, pond, not just one or two songs -- there's hundreds of 'em, and there's as much variation in the background music and tempo as there are between sea chanteys.

Posted by: BillT at May 14, 2010 11:31 AM

"Talkin' blues" is actually an entire subset of folk, pond,

Absolutely correct. (And probably one of the few things discussed here that we agree on) That said (and I speak not as a musician), the music behind the lyrics on "your" posting so strongly resembles Paxton's that I thought it fair to call Paxton's "the original". But, perhaps other and earlier versions than Paxton's are equally similar (and perhaps equally well-known, as well), and I am simply ignorant of that fact.

Posted by: pond at May 14, 2010 11:54 AM

Thanks for posting both, guys :) That's a genre of music I didn't know much about.

VC: it's educational :p

Posted by: Cassandra at May 14, 2010 11:58 AM

Education for the insane asylum.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at May 14, 2010 12:25 PM

Hmmm. and we have a common thread with the "why are so many men not going to college" thread a few days back - in that society is more and more treating men as an assumed enemy.
England is already at the point where a man (at least by himself and not visibly part of a couple at the location) was detained for taking pictures of his OWN CHILD at a playground.

Posted by: Darius at May 14, 2010 02:10 PM

society is more and more treating men as an assumed enemy

I think there is more of a schizophrenic reaction to male sexuality, Darius.

When I was growing up, the kind of behavior and talk I hear from both men and women would never have been tolerated. When you allow worse behavior in public, the expectation that people will restrain themselves is eroded by observation and experience. It's a downward spiral of standards and behavior.

I agree examples like your playground one are very disturbing, but I also think that there are real human forces at work that have to be damped down (and I'm talking women as well). If society won't do it, bad behavior increases to the point where people call the police for even silly things.

It's a problem of trust as well as expectations.

Posted by: Cassandra at May 14, 2010 02:28 PM

...the music behind the lyrics on "your" posting so strongly resembles Paxton's that I thought it fair to call Paxton's "the original"...

"Folk" borrows freely.

As do other genres...

Posted by: BillT at May 14, 2010 03:28 PM

I enjoyed the Reverence posting M'lady, more than you might imagine. I'm hoping that your funk passes quickly, that you wake up every morning with a smile, and that you always find something engaging towards which you can steer your course.

Now having said all that and adding that I'm only just now approaching resonant frequency, or so it seems, I think I'll keep my distance from the subject of no good deed goes unpunished. But I will add to Bill's observation:

""Talkin' blues" is actually an entire subset of..." only to say that this one is currently and still my favorite talkin' blues tune
Just goes to show that you can take the William out of the hill, but ya can't take the hill out of the William, or Billy, or Hun as it were...

Cheers good villains! And may a mahvelous weekend be yours.

Posted by: bthun at May 14, 2010 06:14 PM

Where ya been, bthun?? Nice to see you!

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at May 14, 2010 06:18 PM

Hi Miss LB!

Ah, would you believe that Walkin' Boss forgot to unlock the door and let me in?

Well, truth be told, it was just accumulated injuries acting in conjunction with a respiratory system that has taken to balking during the winter months and the follow on pollen season these past few years. All of which is compounded by advancing age, read high mileage.

Short version: A mild tussle between an aging carcass and a mind that still thinks it's operating in a two to three decade window.

But it looks like I whupped it again. Funny thing though, my portrait in the back room is lookin' mighty rough. =;^}

Posted by: bthun at May 14, 2010 06:37 PM

bthun! You just made my whole week. You have been sorely missed, my friend.

Welcome back :)

Posted by: Cassandra at May 14, 2010 11:10 PM

Yeah, I've missed you too, old son.

Posted by: Grim at May 15, 2010 12:17 AM

Glad to hear you're doing better, bthun.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at May 15, 2010 02:13 AM

How's the time-out bench in the garage next to the beer fridge holding up, b-t? If the seat's starting to warp, I can get ya some 1" rolled homogeneous steel armor plate for reinforcing it that nobody's using...

Posted by: BillT at May 15, 2010 02:25 AM

Good morning, Bill!

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at May 15, 2010 02:29 AM

Hi, Miss L! How's subbing going?

Posted by: BillT at May 15, 2010 07:25 AM

Looks like it ain't your time yet, Bt.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at May 15, 2010 09:37 AM

Glad you're back, bt.

About the Stranger, when has a single, fully-grown man appearing out of his social context ever been anything but the object of suspicion? Humans are dangerous creatures. An unfamiliar man without a wife and kids in tow has got to work hard at projecting social cues of all kinds before people will trust him with their own kids.

Here's a good "talking blues" song, preceded by one of my favorite jokes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkNtU8VmU0 -- I guess it's not completely "talking," since it has a rudimentary tune. Great guitar.

The wicked King of Clubs awoke
It was to his Queen turned
His lips were laughing as they spoke
His eyes like bullets burned

The sun's upon a gambling day
His Queen smiled low and blissfully
Let's make some wretched fool to play
Plain it was she did agree

He send his deuce down into diamond
His four to heart, and his trey to spade
Three kings with their legions come
Preparations soon where made

They voted Club the day's commander
Gave him an army face and number
All but the outlaw Jack of Diamonds
And the aces in the sky

He give his sevens first instructions
Spirit me a game of stud
Stakes unscarred by limitation
'Tween a man named Gold and man named Mudd

Club filled Gold with greedy vapors
'Til his long, green eyes did glow
Mudd was left with the sighs and trembles
Watching his hard-earned money go

Flushes fell on Gold like water
Tens they paired and paired again
But the aces only flew through heaven
And the Diamond Jack called no man friend

The Diamond Queen saw Mudd's ordeal
Began to think of her long-lost son
Fell to her knees with a mother's mercy
Prayed to the angels every one

The Diamond Queen, she prayed and prayed
And the Diamond Angel filled Mudd's hole
The wicked King of Clubs himself
Fell in face-down in front of Gold

Now three kings come to Club's command
But the angels from the sky did ride
Three kings up on the streets of Gold
Three fireballs on the Muddy side

The Club Queen heard her husband's call
But lord that Queen of Diamond's joy
When the outlaw in the heavenly hall
Turned out to be her wandering boy

Now Mudd he checked and Gold bet all
And Mudd he raised and Gold did call
And the smile just melted off his face
When Mudd turned over that diamond ace

Now here's what this story's told
If you feel like mud you'll end up gold
If you feel like lost, you'll end up found
So amigo, lay them raises down

Posted by: Texan99 at May 15, 2010 10:26 AM

bthun! You just made my whole week. You have been sorely missed, my friend.
Welcome back :)

Posted by: Cassandra at May 14, 2010 11:10 PM

Yeah, I've missed you too, old son.
Posted by: Grim at May 15, 2010 12:17 AM

Glad to hear you're doing better, bthun.
Posted by: Miss Ladybug at May 15, 2010 02:13 AM

Posted by: BillT at May 15, 2010 02:25 AM

Glad you're back, bt.
Posted by Texan99 at May 15, 2010 10:26 AM

Yikes! I had no idea that I could still blush... =8^}

I've missed hanging about my favorite blog locales, but only because of you folks.

Lowered willing, the creek don't rise, and the brew don't stop -I'm working on my 12oz curls to regain keyboard proficiency- I'll be in and out and about.

Looks like it ain't your time yet, Bt.
Posted by Ymarsakar at May 15, 2010 09:37 AM
Heh... Well yeah, I've too much yet to do. Walkin' Boss has decided that the best therapy for me is to go outside and get busy with the list, once again. If I complete the gazebo, -filling the void left in the northern Hun clearing after giving the playset to a neighbor- rebuild a retaining wall, and installing a new paver patio all by the fall, W.B. said I can expect to receive a dull, new AR15 in 5.56/.223. So I've a smile on my old mug and a course to steer. Plus mighty fine folks here abouts for company. =8^}

Needless to say, the time out bench remains in like new condition. But thanks anywho Bill. Is there any remaining doubt as to how my dearest came by the Walkin' Boss handle? *looks around and lowers voice* I must confess that she's right with the get busy strategy. I can't recall ever seeing a lazy person who lived to be an old person, much less an active, old person. Nor do folk generally suspect an industrious fellow of nefarious intent.

Sorry 'bout the windiness. Must be due to it having been a while since I babbled, plus it's nice to chat with all yas.

Nice to be here? At my age it's nice to be anywhere.
George Burns

Posted by: bthun at May 15, 2010 11:26 AM

Been going okay. Subbed 4 days the last week of April, one once the first week of May (but I was to be in the office job, covering for my sister who was vacationing in Vegas with my other sister and their SOs (one husband, one boyfriend). Subbed four days with week and have 3 days subbing lined up for next week. But, with the school year coming to an end (one district gets out the week before Memorial Day, the other finishes up that following week. Been applying for teaching jobs, but after going to the Killeen job fair two weeks ago, I know there are literally hundreds of applicants for every opening...may take a miracle for me to actually became anything more than a certified on paper teacher...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at May 15, 2010 11:49 AM