« Why Can't We Be More Like Canada? | Main | Yikes! »

June 01, 2010

Amusing Study of the Day

Linked without comment:

What we consider "fair" changes as we age, a new study finds. Young children like all things to be equal, but older adolescents are more likely to consider merit when it comes to dividing up wealth, the researchers say.

The shift from the "egalitarian" view of fairness to the more merit-based "meritocratic" view occurred largely between fifth and seventh grade, although it continued to change through high school, with seniors placing the most importance on achievement.

This transition likely results both from changes in the brain as it develops, and from exposure to new social experiences as we age, the researchers say.

Posted by Cassandra at June 1, 2010 11:28 AM

Comments

So all those liberals who want equal outcomes instead of equal opportunities are mentally stuck at 3rd grade?

Posted by: Rex at June 1, 2010 09:39 PM

Bad conservative!

WHACK, WHACK, WHACK!!!! :)

Posted by: Sister Mary Bag o'Metaphors at June 1, 2010 09:47 PM

Ah, tell ya what, there, Rex. Be thankful ya didn't have da Penguin around fer tha whack fest. Her bein' an egalitarian sorta Sister and with me and Elwood settin' the gold standard for whackee's, you'd still be gettin' whacked.

Although thinkin' back on past behaviors, it might have been based on merit...

Posted by: "Joliet" Jake Blues at June 3, 2010 02:42 PM

Rex the Robot dog.

System Malfunction.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at June 4, 2010 01:49 PM

I thought kids changed earlier. By the time they're toddlers their focus has already shifted from "Give me what I want!" to "Let me do it!" On my blog I recently wrote "Babies are socialists. Toddlers are libertarians."

Posted by: Jim S. at June 8, 2010 08:03 AM