« You Big Brutes! | Main | Obama: Where Rhetoric Meets Reality »

June 16, 2010

Mommy! I'm Scared of Debbie Schlussel!

Via Cassy Fiano, an update on my earlier blog rage post. Ms. Schlussel further beclowns herself (if you didn't think that was possible, clearly you've underestimated the lady's Beclownment Prowess):

Mr. Hawkins:

This is a cease and desist letter and a demand for retraction of false, defamatory statements on your blog. You have 2 hours from the time this e-mail is sent to remove the false information you knowingly printed, or I and my lawyers will not only pursue this, but we will contact your host and demand not only that the page in question be removed, but also that your site be removed for violating your host's terms of service, which undoubtedly forbid the publishing of false, defamatory information.

In your lie-filled piece of trash defending your anti-Semitic friend Emily Zanotti and displaying that your obsession with me mirrors hers, you wrote:

So, after talking about it, Jaz gave Debbie Schlussel the boot, he offered me her weekly slot on his radio show, and the rest is history.

In fact, I never gave Jaz any "ultimatum," and I was never given "the boot" by Jaz or anyone else. I quit on the spot on his show, when I was scheduled to go on. And Jaz begged me to come back. All of this took place in writing, and I have all of the e-mails from him to me and his inquiring listeners proving this in writing. I demand a retraction of this lie, and per defamation laws, a retraction must be printed in a prominent place on your site, including at the top of the entry in a correction note. (You should also note that Jaz McKay also said--in writing--in an e-mail that you said Emily Zanotti is "crazy" and "a bitch." I may publish that, since you've taken to lying.)

As you know, your anti-Semitic lunatic stalker friend, Ms. Zanotti linked to Muslim Holocaust-denying death, rape, and torture threats on my life in the part where she said that the person sending me death threats was "making very valid points." If you think that is humorous or funny, then clearly you are the anti-Semite and nutcase you claim you are not. You must also include a link to that piece, or that is more defamation, and we will pursue this if you do not and do not make a correction, stating so. Here is the link:

Again, you have two hours to do so. Time is of the essence, and we WILL pursue this.

The web may give you the freedom to say what every you want. But it does not give you the freedom to print false, defamatory information without consequences. I promise you this will not go away.

Please notify me that you have complied with the demands herein.

Debbie Schlussel

cc: Michael Schwartz, Attorney at Law

*whistling*

Who knew that calling someone a lunatic stalker, Jew-hating anti-Semite nutcase was neither defamatory nor libelous? When I think of all the fun I could have been having for the past 6 years, I could just weep.

Posted by Cassandra at June 16, 2010 03:36 PM

Comments

Michael Schwartz, Attorney-at-Law, has a fool for a client.

Posted by: ol' blue eyes rdr at June 16, 2010 04:14 PM

Can I be adjudged libelous if I observe Mr. Schwartz's client's behavior and say, "WOW"?

Posted by: Texan99 at June 16, 2010 04:25 PM

I don't know, but when I get my Ghetto Atty's license I'll be happy to defend you!

Posted by: Cass, Ghetto Atty. Esq. at June 16, 2010 04:29 PM

BTW, I went over and read Hawkins' column, and he has a further update: Jaz MaKay denies Debbie's version of events, although he did give John a small correction.

Posted by: Cousin Dave at June 16, 2010 04:41 PM

Good, I've been looking for a Ghetto Attorney. I want to register my Ghetto with the proper federal agencies, can you help me?

Posted by: Allen at June 16, 2010 05:29 PM

Oh wow, I got a good chuckle out of this one.

Schlussel is bizonkers. I subscribed to her blog... oh, I guess four or five years ago, when someone linked to something or other she had written. It quickly became apparent that her favorite way of verifying her "facts" for any article she writes is to cite... herself.

Didn't take me long to quit following that nut. Kind of amused to see that she's still around.

Posted by: Jewels at June 16, 2010 05:56 PM

This is the first time I've ever checked out her blog. Just judging from the most recent entry, she seems to have -- shall we say -- a short fuse when it comes to critical comments on her site? The word "spew" comes to mind.

Well, at least she doesn't respond to every disagreement by insisting that her position is self-evidently true as a matter of pure semantics.

Posted by: Texan99 at June 16, 2010 06:16 PM

Michael Schwartz, Attorney at Law, probably did a double face palm when he received that email this morning, and decided that representing stone cold jihadis was easier on the sanity.

Posted by: William Teach at June 16, 2010 06:46 PM

The expression "Bat sh-- crazy" leaps to mind.

Can I have a dim wit letter now?

Posted by: John W. at June 16, 2010 11:08 PM

OMG, I thought we were done with Debbie after her feud with Emperor Mischa...

Posted by: olga at June 17, 2010 12:05 AM

Just to play "Devil's Advocate" (as it were) if Ms. Schlussel has received death, rape, etc threats...then her reactions are somewhat understandable.

Posted by: camojack at June 17, 2010 01:31 AM

"...if Ms. Schlussel has received death, rape, etc threats...then her reactions are somewhat understandable..."

They are probably a figment of her imagination or the result of her begging someone to pay attention to her. What she wants is validation for being the toughest, meanest "anti-Islam" chick on the block. Sadly, she accomplishes little more than becoming deranged in public.

How does she expect to appear in court and win a case if she can't get her hair to lie down after sleeping in a tin-foil lined box adorned with crystals to keep them from reading her brain waves?

Posted by: Norman Rogers at June 17, 2010 04:53 AM

...to play "Devil's Advocate" (as it were) if Ms. Schlussel has received death, rape, etc threats...then her reactions are somewhat understandable.

It's not that unusual for an outspoken female writer to receive those types of threats. I've written about this before - women tend to react in one of two ways: they either just hit the delete key and block further emails or they publicize it (which generally has the same effect as pouring gasoline on a raging brushfire).

If she received threats from some Muslim group then yes, I'd say she is justified in taking some defensive action....against the person who threatened her.

But Emily didn't threaten her. What justifies her going to Em's employer? Or calling Emily and anyone who has contact with her an anti-Semite? What can possibly justify a 4 year campaign of online harassment?

And John/Beth Donovan didn't threaten her either. She threatened to sue them all the same.

I normally try to stay out of these types of things but when I see a sustained pattern of unacceptable behavior, I see nothing wrong with calling people's attention to it. I think there's a vast difference between mentioning someone's behavior in a post and allowing an online dispute to cross over into the real world.

What we post online happens "in public", as it were. It's fair game for comment and debate.

Posted by: Cass, Ghetto Atty. Esq. at June 17, 2010 06:39 AM

And John/Beth Donovan didn't threaten her either.

Lest any non-Castle visitors get the wrong idea, that should be read as "John *and* Beth Donovan" since they are a wonderful, truly lovely, married couple rather than a single, gender-confused, slightly fluffy Armorer...

Posted by: BillT at June 17, 2010 07:07 AM

Posted by: Cass, Ghetto Atty. Esq. at June 17, 2010 06:39 AM

Oh, I agree...but there are some who violate societal "norms" online too, seemingly empowered by the relative anonymity of the Internets.

Others, of course, (like myself) are a comparatively "open book" in that respect; I think it makes me somewhat more circumspect in how I express myself in "da blogosphere", but that's me...

Posted by: camojack at June 17, 2010 07:27 AM

Oxymoronic comes to mind. Along with temper tantrum and lack of cool.

That is how she comes across. She has no qualms about playing dirty, but when she is held up to scrutiny, plays both ends against each other.

Good catch, Cassandra. Stay cool.

Posted by: Cricket at June 17, 2010 10:14 AM

Camo, I have little doubt that Debbie was threatened by that Muslim PAC worker. But Emily's part basicly looks like this.

DS: Muslims are terrorists because 2+2=5.
MPAC: No! 2+2=4 and you should die for insulting Islam this way!

EZ: Dude, will you look at these two absolute morons! It's like watching a cripple fight. And though MPAC is insane he is correct that 2+2 does equal 4.

Appearently disagreeing with DS about any one thing means you support the other person 100%. So EZ saying that she agrees with MPAC that 2+2=4 *also* means that she agrees with the death threats.

Personally, I think this can be a fun game. Following her own logic: DS and Hitler both agree on heterosexual norms. Therefor, since they agree about something, DS is herself a Hitler supporter!

I bet we could have a lot of fun with this "logic".

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at June 17, 2010 10:29 AM

I don't have to worry about that.

People know me well enough to refrain from taking me seriously...

Posted by: BillT at June 17, 2010 11:29 AM

I think Yu-Ain pretty much hit on the most elegant formula for the nonsense.

Posted by: Texan99 at June 17, 2010 12:57 PM

Well, in that sense, at least she's being consistent. Because she accuses everyone who calls her out on this as agreeing 100% with antisemitism and death/rape threats. So she's got that going for her.

Posted by: MikeD at June 17, 2010 01:53 PM

DS: Muslims are terrorists because 2+2=5.
MPAC: No! 2+2=4 and you should die for insulting Islam this way!

That pretty much is exactly the sequence of comments that deformed her orbit and flung her out into interstellar space.

Posted by: Texan99 at June 17, 2010 03:53 PM

Debbie Schlussel would do well to put her energies into learning H2H to such a level that she need fear no attacker.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at June 17, 2010 08:53 PM

I bet we could have a lot of fun with this "logic".
Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at June 17, 2010 10:29 AM

Ah, yes: "Godwin's Law". ;-)

People know me well enough to refrain from taking me seriously...
Posted by: BillT at June 17, 2010 11:29 AM

There is that... :-D

Posted by: camojack at June 18, 2010 03:49 AM

Geez, camo, you didn't take me *seriously* when I wrote that, did you?

Posted by: BillT at June 18, 2010 04:37 AM

Yeah, that's way harsh, camo!

Posted by: Texan99 at June 18, 2010 09:05 AM

Bill looks like a British Colonel. If he uses the right accent, I think he can convince people that he should be taken seriously.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at June 18, 2010 11:00 AM

A British officer, of course, in the Victorian Age.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at June 18, 2010 11:03 AM