« Naughty She Devils! | Main | Standing Up to Blog Rage »

June 16, 2010

We Will Fight Them on the Beaches!!!

Incroyable...

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: What struck me tonight, Diane, is you know those Oval Office addresses are often used when the nation is at war and tonight the President used martial language. He talked about a “siege,” the “assault on our shores” and his “battle plan” to fix it. And he said we have to “rally together.”

And I think what the White House was reaching for tonight is the feel of Franklin Roosevelt during World War II and those fireside chats and the President even said that during World War II they said we couldn't build enough planes and tanks, but we did. We can beat this as well.

DIANE SAWYER: “Only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”

A two front war sends this guy running to his thesaurus in search of ways to avoid saying "war" or "victory", but wave an oiled pelican in his general direction and suddenly he's Winston Churchill?

What does he think our guys are doing over there?

Posted by Cassandra at June 16, 2010 12:15 PM

Comments

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself, so that's why I've put together this panel to take a look at the problem."

Good grief, do any of these people actually look at what is happening as opposed to what is being said?

I just don't get this administration. With Bush I always knew exactly what I was getting when he said something. I might not have liked it but I knew what was coming. With this administration, it's hard to determine what the hell we're getting when they do finally manage to spit something out.

Afghanistan is the perfect example of this. Sure he said we'll be leaving starting next year, but he qualified it somewhat. So we may or may not be in for a long haul. I wish I knew what he intended.

Posted by: Allen at June 16, 2010 01:04 PM

I wish I knew what he intended.

You said a mouthful, Brother.

Posted by: Hamid Karzai at June 16, 2010 01:07 PM

"You said a mouthful, Brother."
Oh, you are so lucky! Why, if I had a brother I would not have to live in this squalor.

Posted by: George Hussein Onyango Obama at June 16, 2010 01:14 PM

Actually, Allen, when Barky speaks you do know exactly what to expect.

Example:

Obama: We Don't Want To Run GM, as he was taking over GM.

Yesterday he said "I don't want to bankrupt BP", so I told my husband to get his BP retirement account moved, pronto.

Posted by: MathMom at June 16, 2010 02:09 PM

He's sort of Clintonian that way, but without the charm and charisma. I remember how surprised people were when NATO got involved in the Balkans because Clinton had said that we were going to do it, and so they assumed the opposite.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at June 16, 2010 03:05 PM

If Obama had been president during WWII, the Germans and Japanese would have won long before Willow Run was converted from auto to aircraft production, and long before the first Liberty Ship was ever launched. The study phases would have taken at least a couple of years, then a year for political wrangling about location, a couple more years for enviromental analysis, then an indefinite period arguing about ethnic mix for employment.

What's really scary is that Obama and those who think like him have now created a litigation and regulatory roadblocking machine that, Sorcerer's- Apprentice-like, they couldn't turn off even if they wanted to.

See my post like swimming in glue, also nine years vs nine months

Posted by: david foster at June 16, 2010 06:18 PM

...and firmly grasped the feel of Jimmy Carter during the Energy Conservation is the Moral Equivalent of War.

Posted by: BillT at June 17, 2010 03:22 AM

Bill, I'm getting my sweaters out now!

Posted by: Cousin Dave at June 17, 2010 10:13 PM