« Standing Up to Blog Rage | Main | Mommy! I'm Scared of Debbie Schlussel! »

June 16, 2010

You Big Brutes!

Interesting study.

Sooooooo... does my long standing predilection for brown eyed men mean I want to be dominated?

There's something in the faces of brown-eyed white men that makes them come off as more dominant than their blue-eyed peers, a new study suggests. And it isn't their eye color.

Czech researchers asked a group of 62 people to look at photos of 80 faces – 40 men and 40 women – and rate them for dominance. Then the investigators Photoshopped the faces so the brown eyes were replaced with blue ones and vice versa. A separate group of participants rated the altered images for dominance.

The results were the same in both cases: Faces of brown-eyed men were rated more dominant than those of blue-eyed men, even when their eyes weren't brown.

The effect, which didn't hold for female faces, may have something to do with the shape of brown-eyed men's faces, said study researcher Karel Kleisner of Charles University in Prague. On average, brown-eyed men had broader chins and mouths, larger noses, more closely spaced eyes and larger eyebrows than blue-eyed men.

More mysterious is why eye color would be so closely associated with facial type, the researchers say.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Posted by Cassandra at June 16, 2010 02:05 PM

Comments

"...does my long standing predilection for brown eyed men mean I want to be dominated?"

It plainly does, as does our long friendship. My eyes are as dark brown as it is possible for them to be. You wouldn't know that, so your affinity for me is all the more demonstrative.

Not that domination is all it's cracked up to be. My domineering nature has clearly passed to my son, who recently grabbed my bullwhip to prevent me from enforcing his mother's will upon him. It didn't work, but it won't be long before I'll have to carry a Bowie knife around my own house!

Posted by: Grim at June 16, 2010 02:52 PM

Of course you *do* know what else they say about men with brown eyes :p

Posted by: Hamid Karzai at June 16, 2010 02:54 PM

I'm a little behind on my gender-role training. Is being perceived as a "dominant male" a good thing or a bad thing this week? Not that it matters, I just want to stay current.

Posted by: ol' blue eyes rdr at June 16, 2010 03:06 PM

Interesting... I come from good Eastern European stock (my brother went to Prague a few years ago, and came back and told me: "Imagine! A whole country of people who look just like us!"), but I have blue eyes. And my attempts to look fierce and intimidating have generally been met with laughter.

Posted by: Cousin Dave at June 16, 2010 03:22 PM

mr rdr: having known you for many moons, I highly doubt that you are "trainable" :p

Encour...err...irrascib... *cough*... incorrigible is more like it.

Posted by: Cassandra at June 16, 2010 03:23 PM

incorrigible is more like it.

Wait... spd is made of cardboard?

Posted by: MikeD at June 16, 2010 04:11 PM

"I'll give you television
"I'll give you eyes of blue
"I'll give you men who want to rule the world."

Posted by: Texan99 at June 16, 2010 05:09 PM

Submit to the brown - eyed ubermensch!

Well, it's more of a strongly worded suggestion than a demand. If that's okay?

Posted by: Don Brouhaha, brown -eyed fizzle at June 16, 2010 06:37 PM

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing this week, spd; but I figure we're gonna get blamed for it anyway, so why not enjoy it?

Posted by: Grim at June 16, 2010 07:01 PM

Hey, how come nothing about the Army anniversary this week? Oh, wait, I think I know the answer to that. ;)

Posted by: Cousin Dave at June 16, 2010 07:47 PM

"Um, I'm going to need you to go ahead and submit . . . ."

Posted by: Texan99 at June 16, 2010 11:57 PM

Mine are somewhere in between blue and brown (some call them hazel) and I know that you love me. ;-)

Posted by: camojack at June 17, 2010 01:34 AM

Blue eyes.

Ice blue. Cold and cruel as an Alaskan glacier ready to drop a gigaton of jagged shards on a family of playful baby Arctic penguins innocently cavorting in the tepid, globally-warmed waters surging tranquilly at my katana-sharp feet...

Posted by: BillT at June 17, 2010 03:13 AM

Arctic penguins?! :-)

My girl has very blue eyes, but there's nothing icy about them.

Except for sometimes... ;-)

Posted by: camojack at June 17, 2010 07:30 AM

So that's why grandpa thought the krauts were a bunch of pansies.

Posted by: Smart Grunt at June 17, 2010 09:05 AM

Yup. Endangered Arctic penguins.

You'll only find them in tranquilly-surging water, which is why they're endangered.

Habitat loss...

Posted by: BillT at June 17, 2010 09:07 AM

That is SO unfair! When have I ever blamed you all for acting like guys?

Posted by: Cass, Ghetto Atty. Esq. at June 17, 2010 09:17 AM

Um, right now? :)

Posted by: Grim at June 17, 2010 10:56 AM

Aye yay yay :p

Posted by: Cass, Ghetto Atty. Esq. at June 17, 2010 11:54 AM

"That is SO unfair! When have I ever blamed you all for acting like guys?

Oh, sure, ask that question after you purged most of your old posts.
Ghetto attorney indeed! Are you sure you aren't a secret Demoncrat operative??
*snicker*

Posted by: Snarkammando at June 17, 2010 02:13 PM

Don't settle for anything less than a seven figure income for secret spycraft operative.

The Dems have more than enough cash for that expenditure rate.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at June 18, 2010 11:08 AM

Btw, doesn't Obama have brown eyes. But somehow the idea of being submissive to someone who can't kick their way out of a paper bag, seems a bid unnatural to me. But maybe women find those kind of men more safe and easier to deal with.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at June 18, 2010 11:10 AM