« Public Service Announcement... | Main | Roissy vs. McArdle »

July 13, 2010

Abraham Lincoln's Advice for Obama

Abraham_Lincoln_Prosperity.jpg

CWCID

Via commenter Pond, the quote above (however apt) were not actually said by Lincoln.

Here are some that were:

On Inequality: That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well.

On Wealth: That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.

On Income Equality: I don't believe in a law to prevent a man from getting rich; it would do more harm than good. So while we do not propose any war upon capital, we do wish to allow the humblest man an equal chance to get rich with everybody else.
--March 6, 1860 Speech at New Haven, Connecticut

On Determination: “You can have anything you want - if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.”

On Experience: “What has once happened, will invariably happen again, when the same circumstances which combined to produce it, shall again combine in the same way”

On Success: “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.”

On Facing Reality: “You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

On Hard Work: Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

On Despotism: Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as a heritage of all men, in all lands, everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors.

On Democratic Governance: This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

On Insults: We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”

Posted by Cassandra at July 13, 2010 12:39 PM

Comments

That anyone beyond the age of twelve should need to be told...

Posted by: bthun at July 13, 2010 01:06 PM

Clap, clap, claptrap. E.g., http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lincoln/prosperity.asp & http://www.state.il.us/HPA/facsimiles.htm

Posted by: pond at July 13, 2010 01:15 PM

Thank you, pond. I should have known it was too perfect :)

This is a good site - it cites the source of the quotations.

Posted by: Cass at July 13, 2010 02:00 PM

Be careful of accepting Snopes uncritically for *everything*...

Posted by: BillT at July 13, 2010 02:16 PM

...but Rev. Boetcker's contributions are quasi-famous as "The Ten Cannots."

Posted by: BillT at July 13, 2010 02:20 PM

{Critique of a book]

Posted by: Drive-by Honest Abe at July 13, 2010 02:33 PM

Snopes is very good using collective wisdom from this generation or recent generations.

When it delves into classified information or esoteric research branches, then it hits the human problem.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 13, 2010 02:36 PM

I don't automatically accept Snopes for anything - I've caught them out several times over the years and they've never troubled to correct their postings.

But I do usually check them and probably should have in this case.

I posted the graphic because the quotes just seemed incredibly apt in the context of Obama's social injustice rhetoric, not because I was seriously suggesting that Abraham Lincoln had Barack Obama in mind.

Though in a world where a Psychic Octopus predicts the World Cup winners I suppose anything is possible :p

Posted by: Cass at July 13, 2010 02:37 PM

That sounds like one o' them self defecating statements.

Posted by: Cass at July 13, 2010 02:49 PM

Sure -- where do you think Libs come from?

Posted by: BillT at July 13, 2010 04:00 PM

People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing that they like.-Drive-by Honest Abe.

That sounds like one o' them self defecating statements. -Cassandra

Sounds suspicially like the man with no vowels in his name. :)

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at July 13, 2010 05:05 PM

Defecating without bowels? Is that a new government healthcare guarantee.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 13, 2010 05:35 PM

I should send that to Cami; on a recent fact-finding junket to "The Land of the Midnight Sun" for the purpose of researching post-retirement Summer digs, she expressed concern about being able to afford those in addition to the Winter quarters in the 50th State. As for me, I generally manage to make those things I want to happen, do so...

Posted by: camojack at July 13, 2010 05:54 PM

Well my favorite quote on things political.

"The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly' meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'."

Larry Hardiman.

Posted by: Allen at July 13, 2010 05:58 PM

I always hesitate to say things like this, but I would have posted that graphic if it had said, "Rev. Boetcker" under those quotes.

What struck me, on seeing it, was the aptness of the quotes. I didn't really care who said them. I don't think they're more persuasive if Lincoln said them than some Reverend I've never heard of :p

Then again, that's probably why I'm an introvert rather than an extrovert.

That said, I still should have checked. Sometimes I live in my own head too much.

Posted by: Cass at July 13, 2010 07:07 PM

Yah. It matters not if Porky Pig said the above. It's spot on regardless the source.

Posted by: bthun at July 13, 2010 07:15 PM

bthun, if Pork Pig had said the above, the graphic would extend down into the next blog downstream...

Posted by: BillT at July 14, 2010 01:27 AM

Dat's affirma afform affirmat ah affir...

Yup.