« Two Links for your Friday Afternoon. | Main | Signal to Noise »

July 30, 2010

Fear the Marmoset

Well, I'm back. I plan to spend the next two days indulging a whopping case of post-beach house tristesse and drinking heavily.

Miss Ladybug sends a bit of Friday silliness to chase away the bittersweet anomie. Happy Friday, peoples.

Update: link fixed. Thanks for the heads up, MLB.

Posted by Cassandra at July 30, 2010 04:20 PM

Comments

Congratulations, Cass-of-the-Beach. You own "bittersweet anomie." And quite the turn of a phrase, if I do say so myself. Provocative and sensual, with just a hint of danger wrapped in lace and ennui. Even now I can see Angela Jolie overplaying this completely.

Anyway, I googled up the phrase because I liked it, and wanted to know from whence your wellspring spronged. Apparently, it's all in your head. Which is just dandy.

Posted by: spd rdr at July 30, 2010 04:55 PM

I cannot tell a lie - the marmoset whispered it to me :p

Posted by: Cassandra at July 30, 2010 05:11 PM

At Festung Kleinrot, we fear the lemurs. Marmosets are welcome.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at July 30, 2010 05:22 PM

Texan said marmots get fat from global warming or some such. True?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 30, 2010 06:06 PM

So what if they do? I'll bet they're as good eating as squirrels are, and you don't have to clean so many to make a good stew.

Posted by: Grim at July 30, 2010 07:13 PM

I'm all for the drinking heavily.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at July 30, 2010 07:58 PM

You big BRUTE! :)

Posted by: Pygmy Marmoset, Unstuffed for your Eating Pleasure at July 30, 2010 08:00 PM

I wouldn't know about Marmoset Stew but Marmot makes a fine meal. For your fine dining pleasure we have Mongolian Cooking

Scroll down, boodog is a marmot recipe.

Yellowbellied Boodog, ummm, ummm, ummm, uh!

Posted by: Allen at July 30, 2010 08:19 PM

Back? From where? Did I miss something?

I had bittersweet anomie on my French toast last Saturday for breakfast. Very tasty.

Hello, I must be going!

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at July 30, 2010 08:21 PM

Love Sagan and this novel in particular...

Posted by: olga at July 30, 2010 11:14 PM

You big BRUTE! :)

At your service, ma'am. :)

Posted by: Grim at July 31, 2010 12:02 AM

I didn't send a YouTube video.... I sent a link to a Pygmy Marmoset...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at July 31, 2010 01:02 AM

At Festung Kleinrot, we fear the lemurs...

Hey, remember what Blue Öyster Cult sang --

All our times have come
Here but now they're gone
Seasons don't fear the lemur
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain
(We can be like they are)
Come on baby
(Don't fear the lemur)
Baby take my hand
(Don't fear the lemur)
We'll be able to fly
(Don't fear the lemur)
Baby I'm your man...

Posted by: BillT at July 31, 2010 04:58 AM

I want a pygmy marmoset! I want one! Right now!

Posted by: Texan99 at July 31, 2010 04:50 PM

Isn't pygmy a race.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 31, 2010 05:42 PM

I am stuffed. With marmoset.

Welcome back. Are we tanned?

Posted by: Cricket at July 31, 2010 08:43 PM

I like marmoset pie.

Especially with mushrooms.

Posted by: Son of purple raider LC at August 1, 2010 04:51 AM

Isn't pygmy a race.

You're thinking of relay.

Posted by: BillT at August 1, 2010 05:08 AM

Mais, quel souffrance!

Posted by: Boquisucio at August 1, 2010 10:48 AM

Are we tanned?

Amazingly enough, yes!

I've always tanned easily, but a few years ago I started getting sun poisoning even after a few minutes in the sun. I thought it might be all the medication I was taking for migraines but even after I stopped taking it, I still couldn't go out for long. For someone who loves to be outdoors, that kind of bites.

I finally found a way around it, though, so I was able to go to the beach nearly every day without ending up miserable. I don't think I'll ever be able to bask in the sun for hours again but that's bad for your skin anyway. And I have a nice tan!

Posted by: Pygmy Marmoset, Unstuffed for your Eating Pleasure at August 1, 2010 11:24 AM

"a few years ago I started getting sun poisoning even after a few minutes in the sun.

I thought it might be all the medication I was taking for migraines"

You wear your brains on the outside of your skin? This isn't the Night of the Living Stuffed Marmosets is it. Cause if it is, you might need to run.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 1, 2010 11:36 AM

I'll bet they're as good eating as squirrels are

I seem to remember PETA had a word for people that do things like that.

The Thing is, PETA is Leftist in orientation. So anything they accuse their opponents of, has a 99% probability chance of being true about PETA instead. So given that PETA has thousands of dogs and cats removed from facilities, yet PETA lacks the facilities to care for such animals and sea life and I have yet to hear of massive amounts of people going to PETA for adoption, where does PETA keep all that meat?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 1, 2010 11:38 AM

Well, according to news reports, they tend to take them to dumpsters around town. Read all about it here:

Posted by: MikeD at August 2, 2010 08:44 AM

Well, you are lovely no matter if you have a tan or not. Which is why I should have smacked you and then ran when I saw you. Sun poisoning? Is that like lupus or is that something different?

Posted by: Cricket at August 2, 2010 10:56 AM

It's bizarre - I get this weird rash that itches like crazy, and it always starts in the same place even if (for instance) I only got sun on my shoulders or back.

Ironically I've never had poison ivy or poison oak, but I imagine that's what it feels like. I did some research on the Internet and some people have an allergic reaction to the sun.

My best guess is that after decades of being outdoors and tanning, something (a virus? allergens?) made my immune system react to sunlight the way it does to allergens. Probably made worse b/c there was a year or so when I wasn't outside as much. Anyway, it's just theory but I find medicine fascinating.

And you're no slouch yourself, Miss Cricket :)

Posted by: Pygmy Marmoset, Unstuffed for your Eating Pleasure at August 2, 2010 11:01 AM

It's body snatchers Cassandra. From Rigel.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 3, 2010 01:34 PM