« There He Goes... | Main | The Pursuit of Happiness »

July 06, 2010

Keep Reachin' for the Stars, America

You're bound to hit... errr.... something:

When I became the NASA Administrator . . . [Obama] charged me with three things: One was he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math, [second,] he wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering.

Apparently, what formerly took two single nations working independently now takes an entire village. Now that's change the world can believe in!

Later in the interview, Bolden discussed NASA’s goal of greater international cooperation in space exploration. He said the United States, more than 40 years after the first moon mission, cannot reach beyond earth’s orbit today without assistance from abroad:

In his message in Cairo, [Obama] talked about expanding our international outreach, expanding our international involvement. We’re not going to go anywhere beyond low earth orbit as a single entity. The United States can’t do it, China can’t do it — no single nation is going to go to a place like Mars alone.

On the bright side, with such inspiring example of the benefits of multinational consensus and cooperation, how can we go wrong?

*cough*

Posted by Cassandra at July 6, 2010 02:39 PM

Comments

"We’re not going to go anywhere beyond low earth orbit as a single entity. The United States can’t do it, China can’t do it — no single nation is going to go to a place like Mars alone."

Given NASA's current budget, we're not even going to get into low Earth orbit *with* outside help. We no longer have the technology -- it all went into dumpsters when NASA was "rightsized" two decades ago. NASA doesn't even have the archived film footage of the moon landings -- they were saved from burial in a landfill only because someone was curious as to what they were.

As for no single nation going it alone, Bolden's a fool. Unless China's economy implodes (which it might very well do), and if the leadership determines that a Martian settlement is in China's interest, there'll be a whole new reason for calling it "the Red Planet" within this century.

Posted by: BillT at July 6, 2010 04:40 PM

All of which ended about, what, 800 years ago? What the Muslim world needs is to BE good with science, math and engineering, not to FEEL good.

Posted by: RonF at July 6, 2010 07:04 PM

I can see that you did not take Nurturing Self-Esteem in the Barren Waste 101 Ron.

Teh WON has a seat reserved for you (and undoubtedly for me too) at the HopeNChange Dude Ranch located in the center of the Valerie Jarrett Public Housing and Hospice for the Wicked Rehabilitation Center in Chicago.

Posted by: bt_it's_only_a_flesh_wound_doc_hun at July 6, 2010 07:22 PM

All of this puts me in mind of a song we used to sing in kindergarten.

It is all about the touchy-feely, not hard facts.

Feel good about their contributions? France, Germany, England and the American colonies, and then the United States, ran with those contributions and changed the world for the better.

It seems to me that it is more about changing the mind and heart; our societies and cultures were conducive to thinking and sharing and were not unfettered (apologies to Catholics here) by religionists or kings who saw knowledge from an outside source as a threat.

Oh thanks. Now you got me going on a tangent and I have an 'explain what shopping for accounting principles means' assignment. I am so tempted to say 'Enron's version of 'if at first you don't succeed with your first set of CPAs, try try again. Or bribe them.'

Posted by: Cricket at July 6, 2010 10:01 PM

"Oh thanks. Now you got me going on a tangent and I have an 'explain what shopping for accounting principles means" ..."
*Turns just as he is about to close the door to the Castle behind him, looks through the portcullis towards the wild lands beyond and utters, "Arthur Andersen", causing wails from lost souls to echo through the hills!*

Posted by: Eye Gore, Al's handsome cousin at July 6, 2010 10:19 PM

Posted by: Texan99 at July 7, 2010 12:07 AM

"Now doesn't that just make you feel a shiver, as if you were listening to JFK give his "to the Moon" address at Rice University again?"
Nah. I'm left with the feeling that I've just been teleported into a large conference room and forced to listen to an endless stream of bureaucrats tell me why I have to pay more for a timeshare that I never wanted in the first place.

Of course I'm free to leave anytime... After 853 days and a wake up.

Posted by: bt_it's_only_a_flesh_wound_doc_hun at July 7, 2010 12:30 AM

This reminds me of putting Arabs Muslims on a colony exploration ship.

They started a mutiny and the ship blew up.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 7, 2010 01:57 AM

It only ended centuries ago because the Muslim world hasn't had a decently high technological culture that they could conquer in some time.

Indian numerals, not Arab numerals.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 7, 2010 01:59 AM

"Zoom, boom, to the earth's lower orbit, Alice!"

Lacks a certain, "je ne sais quois", doesn't it?

Posted by: Ralph Kramden at July 7, 2010 06:57 AM

Indian numerals, not Arab numerals.

Which to this day still confuses me. The modern Western world, inheritors of the Roman Empire does not use Roman numerals, but Arabic numerals. The Arab world, does not use Arabic numerals, but instead uses Indian numerals. To make this cycle complete, I suggest that the Indians start using Roman numerals.

Posted by: MikeD at July 7, 2010 09:32 AM

I am going for tally marks. Keeps everything nice and neat. Of course, you end up tearing your hair out...and it makes doing regression analysis a PITA, but hey, whatever is PC, folks.

Posted by: Cricket at July 7, 2010 12:51 PM

"Arthur Andersen"...NOOOOOOoooooooo!

Posted by: Echoes of the darned at July 7, 2010 12:52 PM

flesh_wound, I saw the movie when it came out. Didn't think I'd ever get my turn in that particular barrel.

As a Scout leader I get the "self-esteem" argument from parents on occasion. I gently explain to them that self-esteem cannot be given, it can only be earned. My job is to supply an environment where there are opportunities to earn self-esteem. But if the child is defiant and will not take advantage of those opportunities, it's not going to happen. It's also not going to happen if the child expects everything to be given to them with no hard work on their part, or if they (or their parents ...) think that they should never fail or even encounter a possibility of failure.

I have read presentations that Islam based most of it's accomplishments on information it got from those it conquered.

Posted by: RonF at July 7, 2010 01:21 PM

RonF,
I can not only affirm what you are saying, I can tell you that the Young Man is so much more because of his Eagle project. We poked him. We prodded him. We encouraged him, but we did not allow him to quit. Too easy. When my father passed away two days before it was finished, he couldn't raise a team from the troops because of the vacations, etc, so he asked his siblings to help him...and they finished it under his supervision. He had: The Engineer as support but NOT supervisor or leader, his autistic younger brother, his 12 year old sister and 9 year old brother.

I was so proud of him...

Posted by: Cricket at July 7, 2010 05:21 PM

Good for you, Cricket!

Those are the kinds of lessons that stay with children.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 7, 2010 05:26 PM

"Zoom, boom, to lower Earth orbit, Alice . . . if the Russians or the Chinese can loan us some jumper cables."

But when we rely on the Russians I hope whatever they loan us works better than that last supply ship.

Posted by: Texan99 at July 7, 2010 07:24 PM

NASA: new welfare arm of the Left, best support for terrorists since the advent of the Left.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 7, 2010 07:32 PM

From Bill Otis, via Powerline:

"Making [NASA] a dumbed-down PR front for Islam is, in its way, a genius move for this purpose. But as the MSM recognizes by its silence, it's a bridge too far.

"A lot of people out there haven't heard of "American exceptionalism," or, if they have, aren't too sure of what it means. But they have a good intuition for it: It is, among other things, but quite importantly, the excitement and pride they felt when America did something the human race had wanted to do since it looked up at the night sky. . . .

This is a window on the kind of thinking Obama does. Were it widely known, it would be devastating: . . . Thus the rockets get mothballed as The Great Satan starts to make amends by printing comic books celebrating Arab contributions to trigonomety 4000 years ago, or whatever it was.

"You'll be able to keep your own insurance" was the most important political lie of the last year. But NASA's new mission is the most revealing truth. The MSM understands this, which is why it's been so resolute in keeping it out of sight."

Posted by: Texan99 at July 8, 2010 06:12 PM