« Earthquake! | Main | Good Reads, House Munching Edition »

July 19, 2010

Light Posting Alert

Posting will be very light for the next few weeks. The Blog Princess is at the beach soaking up rays and getting her Grandma fix on :)

I'm not going to write while I'm on vacation but I'll try to post some good reads each day if I have time in between kissing those grandbabies of mine.

From JD, pickup lines from philosophers. There are some pretty good ones in the comments, too!

From htom, a man says goodbye to his dog. Beautifully written.

Via Mary Ripley, The Beautiful Man Project:

MISSION: During your time trapped among the rigid Hesco Barriers and flexible, yet sharp concertina wire, you too are to become rigid in muscular tone and develop a sharp, yet flexible mind in order to transform the literal and the figurative you into something better for the benefit of your health, society, and the chicks you find next to you on mornings after successful evenings on the town. A “suck less every day” philosophy provides a basic ethos. What can you do to improve physically, mentally, socially, artistically? How can you navigate the river into your own, personal heart of darkness and emerge a better man? What can you do to make your brother better? Within the confines of our close circle “I am my brother’s keeper” is a staple. When one falters, the others pick him up. When the collective begins to languish in mediocrity, the individual invigorates the group with novel concepts for self improvement.

What is the deal lately with the War on Air Conditioning?

For the first 3 or 4 years we were married The Unit and I couldn't afford to use our a/c (the heat was on 55 during the winter, too). I got very good at strategically opening and closing windows and blinds to take advantage of (or block out) the sun. I'm sure it's healthier not to use a/c but having brought up two babies without it, I'm surprised we avoided child abuse during the summers. I have a very long fuse, but when it's 80+ degrees inside the house and your toddler is pitching a fit, you'd do just about anything for some relief.

From No Sheeples Here, something inspirational.

Posted by Cassandra at July 19, 2010 09:27 AM

Comments

On beautiful spring days, when normal people (barring allergies) might want to drive around with their car windows open, I've noticed that about 80% of the people around here have their windows tightly shut and the A/C, presumably, turned on. A high % of these cars have strident pro-environmental bumper stickers. I guess they like the environment as long as they don't have to, y'know, *touch* it.

Posted by: david foster at July 19, 2010 10:02 AM

I like it: Every day, in every way, I am sucking less and less.

Posted by: Texan99 at July 19, 2010 11:41 AM

If you have your windows open, you can't talk as well on your cellphone because of the wind noise - thus close the window.

OT bumpersnicker seen last week: I'm the peak of the bell curve.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at July 19, 2010 02:15 PM

LittleRed1...yeah, you probably called it on the cell phones. What on earth are these people talking about all the time that they think is so important? Or are they just afraid to be alone with their own thoughts?

Posted by: david foster at July 19, 2010 02:18 PM

We were so blessed to have lived in a climate where we used the furnace and had no A/C to speak of. Salinas' air conditioned weather was perfect.

Several years ago, our AC appliance died. Well, it *was* 15 years old.

We went to window units at night, and used the sprinkler to cool off children, had water balloon fights and Super Soaker battles during the day.

We saved about $400 over a couple of years, and with our tax rebates, paid for a new one. Total. Bliss. You cannot live in the south without AC.

Posted by: Cricket at July 19, 2010 04:41 PM

You cannot live in the south without AC.

Actually, you can, but only in Mammoth Cave.

Posted by: BillT at July 19, 2010 05:06 PM

There's no real reason for a heater in the house or car here in South Texas, but life without AC can be tough. Every fall we look forward to the first day on which it will be pleasant to open the windows. There are not that many nights in the year when it's nice to sleep with them open. It makes me appreciate the bird and coyote sounds that much more until we have to shut ourselves back up.

In my impoverished bohemian youth, I lived in both Houston and Austin without home or car AC for long periods, and by "youth" I mean until I was about 30. Third-hand car ACs tend to go out and to be expensive to replace.

The one thing I've never had to suffer is living in the cold with inadequate clothing or shelter. Don't know how you Yankee types do it!

Posted by: Texan99 at July 19, 2010 05:35 PM

M'lady, enjoy yourself at the water's edge!

Regarding air conditioning in the south, I hate to admit it, but some of us predate the widespread use of air conditioning in the south. At least anything more technical than 12' ceiling, with fans and tubs of water placed in front of fans for evaporative cooling, aka swamp coolers.

But now, life is good. I just had a 23 year old, zoned system replaced at the Hun hovel with the latest/greatest zoned Carrier AC/furnace/air-handlers.

If only I could get the omnipresent list-o-honey-do caught up, I might get to stay in the house during the daytime long enough to enjoy the new systems.

Oh well, I suppose that's what the winter's for.

Posted by: bthun at July 19, 2010 08:02 PM

"Having been married for over 3 decades to a man who always comes home from deployments lean, mean, and ripped, I heartily approve. My only fear is that he'll decide I need a Beautiful Woman Project :p"

Please don't underestimate yourself, my friend...your husband is a lucky man.

Posted by: camojack at July 20, 2010 01:22 AM

I hate to admit it, but some of us predate the widespread use of air conditioning in the south.gucci At least anything more technical than 12' ceiling, with fans and tubs of water placed in front of fans for evaporative cooling, aka swamp coolersbuy cheap tiffany.

Posted by: gucci at July 20, 2010 02:39 AM

Heh. Gucci and cheap Tiffany. Sounds like a C&W song.

Posted by: bthun at July 20, 2010 08:20 AM

What is the deal lately with the War on Air Conditioning?

Only special people deserve to use air conditioning, as only they are aware of the resource expenditure to use it when it is needed.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2010 09:28 AM

The environment is polluted by the peons. The elite ruling class are wiser and know better how not to.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2010 09:29 AM

War on A/C...reminds me of something. After a major power blackout in 2003, a blogger listening to NPR reported several callers with comments like:

"I'm glad when these things happen, it teaches us a lesson" and "We deserve this, because we're so wasteful"

A significant % of "progressives" really, really hate us, and want us to suffer.

Posted by: david foster at July 20, 2010 09:57 AM

Either that, or it's "self loathing". I've begun to believe that most of the accusations the Reality Based Community tosses out are little more than projection.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 20, 2010 10:01 AM

Just got back from Lake Tahoe myself, Cass. Enjoy your beach time!

Posted by: MikeD at July 20, 2010 10:46 AM

Have you ever considered how much air conditioning contributes to global warming? Here's a simple test that you can try at home:
1) Stand outside in the sun holding a thermometer at arms length out in front of you. After 15 minutes write down the temperature reading on the thermometer.

2) Now go stand inside your house with the same thermometer and hold it at arms length out in front of you. After fifteen minutes, write down the temperature reading on the thermometer.

3) Subtract the temperature reading that you took inside from the temperature reading that you took outside.

4) The resulting number is the difference between the outside temperature and the inside temperature and gives you the number of degrees by which your air conditioner has raise the temperature of the planet (aka "outside").

(Note: If the result is less than or equal to zero, you do not have air conditioning or it is wintertime, and golbal warming doesn't work in wintertime.)

Remember: Think before you thimk.

Posted by: spd rdr, public service announcer at July 20, 2010 11:13 AM

The reading in Step 1 must also be taken while standing in the middle of an asphalt parking lot, beside an air conditioner condenser, while the fan is transferring heat from inside the air conditioned building, during the month of August.

If you fail to adhere to this standard we will denounce your findings, accuse your mother of being a hamster, your father of stinking of elderberry, and we will pass methane in your general direction!

Posted by: IPSeeSee at July 20, 2010 12:18 PM

Heh, that's starting now?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2010 01:19 PM

we will pass methane in your general direction

Methane is odorless. You need to add some impurities from the Obama to make it stink.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2010 01:21 PM

David, if what is said in cars is anything close to what is said by people wandering on foot, I think the conversations are: 1) "I'm here, where are you?" 2) "Nothing, I'm just driving over to ----- in order to -----. What are you doing?" 3) "And then he said --- and I'm sorry but no -ing way!" 4) "Thin crust, double cheese and pepperoni. Large." 5) "I think that was it. Yeah, it was that exit. F--- it! OK, hold on, I should be able to get off here and . . ." [brakes squealing, horns, rude words]

In the interest of full disclosure, I have been known to file flight plans while driving, because we had a very short call-out window and at 0200 it was easy to tell if anyone else was on the highway. I don't do that anymore. Too much wind noise from my open window.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at July 20, 2010 02:41 PM

America's Ruling Class: Here is an excellent article which you should cover and share with your fans. It defines many of our problems as we are constantly victims of the ‘ruling elites.’

Jim Blackstone
Spring, Texas

Posted by: conagher at July 20, 2010 03:29 PM

"And then I was like . . . and he was like . . . and then I was like . . . ."

We all know what it's like to get stuck at a party with someone who doesn't know the difference between an anecdote and a transcript.

Posted by: Texan99 at July 20, 2010 03:59 PM

"And then I was like . . . and he was like . . . and then I was like . . . ."
Hearing young'uns carry on with such articulate conversations often sends me into a little daydream...
*drifts away in a moment of quiet reflection*
How come, why? Say it. SAY IT!

Posted by: bt_Prof-Turguson_hun at July 20, 2010 05:17 PM

Down in the valley it was 115 yesterday. That's what I call two window weather, both windows in my pick-up are rolled down. Anything hotter I open the back slider also.

Every July I go out to play a round of golf at Furnace Creek in Death Valley. One year at the saloon they were offering twenty-five cent shots of tequila. They keep the place as cold as they can. After two ice cold shots I decided to go outside. Whew, woah, head rush, 90 to 130 with two shots of tequila onboard. The most drunk I've ever felt, at the low, low, cost of 50 cents.

Posted by: Allen at July 20, 2010 05:46 PM

Frozen lime daiquiri's with a Bacardi 151 base are the order of the day in south flownover.

Forty cubic yards of mulch is now spread out in all the flower and shrub beds around the Hun hovel.

Check off one honey-do item and crank up the blender!

Yeeehaw!

Posted by: bthun at July 20, 2010 06:18 PM

I liked the Sam K clip.

Posted by: Texan99 at July 20, 2010 08:01 PM

Heh. I'm glad you liked the clip. That clip always reminds me of one of my older brothers techniques for teaching me about life. In that endearing brother to brother sort of way.

Ah ha, breakfast is over so it's back to constructing the gazebo in 3/4 time.

Since M'lady is lovin' life at the beach, I'll offer a tune for M'lady and the Unit by which to set the morning mood for doing that beach thing.

Posted by: bt_landlocked_hun at July 21, 2010 09:00 AM

I got to watch that back to school movie with Sam K. What I've seen of it is hilarious.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 21, 2010 06:25 PM

"Remember: Think before you thimk."

I'll do the thinnin' around here, Bobba -loo!

Posted by: Quickdraw McGraw at July 21, 2010 08:40 PM

To be able to think, one must have a brain. The Democrat party has been rationing them, in preparation for national healthcare.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 22, 2010 04:30 PM