« Good Reads, House Munching Edition | Main | Two Links for your Friday Afternoon. »

July 23, 2010

Somewhere, The Sun Is Over The Yardarm

...and it's time to pop open an ice cold brewski:

You'd expect a lot from a bottle of beer costing $765. What you get is 55 percent alcohol — and served in a squirrel.

...The dead animals which were used to create the beers' unusual appearance were four squirrels, seven weasels and a hare. All were roadkill, James Watt, co-founder of BrewDog, told msnbc.com.

The name of the blond Belgian ale is taken from the title of a book by philosopher Francis Fukuyama, "The End of History and the Last Man" which the company said had been chosen to imply "this is to beer what democracy is to history."

Well alrighty, then. A still, small voice tells me they may be overthinking this one.

Posted by Cassandra at July 23, 2010 03:52 PM

Comments

"It tastes more like a whisky and you have got to handle it in that way as opposed to the way you would handle a normal beer," he told msnbc.com.

At $765 a bottle, I wouldn't touch it, let alone handle it.

Especially if it's wrapped in roadkill. There's a *reason* you see flies on sailing squirrels...

Posted by: BillT at July 23, 2010 04:44 PM

Ya gotta love those whacky alco-anarchists at Brew Dog.

"Hey! I've got an idea! How about we brew up some 110 proof crap, bottle it and then shove it down the gullet of a small dead animal!"

"Dude. Like, who'd buy a beer in a dead animal wrapper?"

"Rich stupid people, that's who."

"Dude. It's like, the end of history, man. I'm digging it."

Posted by: spd rdr at July 23, 2010 04:46 PM

Methinks someone was sampling the product.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano, scotch free since, um, what time is it? at July 23, 2010 06:03 PM

Has Pile On heard about this? Would he have a problem with the color of the bottle?
Gives a whole new perspective on "skunky" beer.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at July 23, 2010 06:14 PM

Given my inclination towards being chea... er, um, frugal, and considering that the lease period on beer is relatively short to begin with, Guinness is going to remain in the upper range, if not top, on my personal list of pricey beer.

It goes without saying that I'm gonna leave road kill by the road. Buzzards got to eat, too... So I won't bother saying as much.

Here's to alcohol! Hic...

Posted by: bthun at July 23, 2010 07:17 PM

I don't get it. Brew Dog company names its eclectic beer, "The End of History"? Why not a descriptive name for what it is? The possibilities are endless for varmint lovers...

"Racoon Red Beer", "Prairie-Dog Pilsner", "Dos Conejos Cervezas", "O'Doul's Opossum Ultra Light Beer", "Flying Squirrel Stout", "Wild Weasel Winter Brew", "Skunk Works Wheat Lager", and that ever popular...."VC's Marmoset Micro-brew Amber".

Posted by: ziobuck at July 24, 2010 02:54 PM

Didn't Fukie say democracy was the end of history... right before 9/11 demonstrated that Islam was on the rise, again?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 24, 2010 04:35 PM

A friend of ours from Louisiana visited us in Upstate New York, and she just couldn't believe all the roadkill she saw lying on the side of the roads. Deer, especially. As she explained, in La, roadkill becomes someone's dinner long before it can start going bad.

Posted by: Rex at July 24, 2010 09:08 PM

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 25, 2010 01:42 PM

I went out for a few beers on Saturday; when I got the bill, some of them were $6 a pint. They were microbrewery beers, but damn! I could have bought a case of something good for what I paid for 6 pints...next time, that's just what I'll do.

Posted by: camojack at July 26, 2010 01:26 AM

Make that 4 pints...

Posted by: camojack at July 26, 2010 01:27 AM

GREAT POST! I really like your blog!!

Steve