« Must Read Essay | Main | PSA #2 »

July 14, 2010

Warrior Song - Marine Corps Version

A little something to keep your blood moving, courtesy of Matt.

My fave comment from DeltaBravo:

Dude at 5:17 needs a psych eval. Wait. He's a Marine. Nevermind.

Related:

At his brother's funeral nearly six years ago, Ricardo Peralta made him a promise: He would join the Marine Corps and carry on in his example.

On Friday, Peralta, now 19, fulfilled that promise as he graduated from the school of infantry.

He will now report to a battalion in Twentynine Palms, Calif., and, like his brother, probably deploy to a war zone as an infantry "grunt."

"I have big shoes to fill," Peralta, a Marine private first class, said quietly.

His brother, Sgt. Rafael Peralta, was killed at age 25 during the battle for Fallouja, Iraq, in November 2004. He is revered by the Marine Corps as one of the true heroes of the long battle in Iraq.

His story is told to every recruit at boot camp in San Diego — how he saved the lives of fellow Marines by smothering an enemy grenade with his body. Marine brass, famously stingy in recommending battle citations, nominated him for the Medal of Honor.

History:

"I was just doing my homework and there was a knock on the door," said Ricardo Peralta, 14. "The moment I saw them, I knew."

In his letter to Ricardo, Rafael said he was doing something he had always wanted to do. He asked Ricardo to be proud of him because the Marines were making history in Iraq.

"(He was) a brave man, fighting for everyone's freedom and a loving brother; I'll never forget him, a hero," Ricardo Peralta said.

Know, all who see these lines,
that this man,
By his appetite for honor,
By his steadfastness,
By his love for his country,
By his courage,
Was one of the miracles of the god.

Posted by Cassandra at July 14, 2010 12:56 PM

Comments

madam,

You are a woman after me own heart. What little is left to me. I love reading your posts. And you have certainly pointed out a great video here. Thanks, Cassandra.

Have a wonderful Devil Dog Day.

Subsunk

Posted by: Subsunk at July 14, 2010 07:19 PM

Subsunk, I am truly blessed to have readers like you.

Thank you for the kind words. They are more appreciated than you will ever know. And thanks for reading.

Posted by: Cass at July 14, 2010 07:25 PM

Thanks for the post! It's good to read stories like this.

Posted by: Smart Grunt at July 14, 2010 08:03 PM

Nice one delta. Keep those evals coming.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 15, 2010 10:25 AM

I think I've watched this 5 or 6 times thus far. Doesn't get old...even at 5:17 (though I do agree he needs a psych eval...even if he is a Marine).

Posted by: HomefrontSix at July 16, 2010 02:17 AM

The need for a psych eval hinges on two additional factors: is the bug alive, and does he know he's being photographed? If he is showing off for the camera with a live bug, then an eval might be reasonable.

Posted by: htom at July 19, 2010 01:17 AM

the dude at 5:17 (Spiderman) is the son of my Father's best friend. I have known him since he was born. He is fearless. His psych evals are all glowing...he was showing off for the camera with a live bug...and his little brother is featured in the first video toward the end, an AFG Army Vet...that picture was included to reinforce the idea that Marines fear nothing to the extent that they are willing to eat that which gives mortal men nightmares...and because it stirs up conversation.

Posted by: sean at July 19, 2010 03:41 AM